1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[7th round #222] Jermaine Kelly, CB, San Jose State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 28, 2018.

?

Do you like the selection of Jermaine Kelly?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2018.
  1. YES

41.7%
  2. NO

58.3%
  1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yup.. the vikings being okay with a guy that failed drug tests and us not is exactly why they made the NFC CG and we went 4-12... can't think of any other reasons.

csj, Nimo and TheFreak like this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Total flyer for a 7th round pick. Texans smartest team in the room getting a jump on low rated UDFA's lol...

DB depth chart getting awfully crowded. With mediocre talent too.

Joseph, Jackson, Colvin, Johnson, Decoud, Bademosi, Kelly
    Hal, Mathieu, Reid, Moore, Pleasant, KJ Dillon, that big guy who never plays who I can't remember...

So who's getting cut?

3. raining threes

Over simplification much?

Dalvin Cook would've never been a Texan etc...

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Every team in the league passed on Holton Hill many times. It's not like the Vikings comitted anything to get him, and it's not like the Texans demonstrated that they value him less than every other team with a 7th round pick did.

For what its worth, I read several places that when meeting with him and doing their background work, teams came away with the impression that he just really doesn't care that much about football. There are plenty of guys less talented than Hill who've gotten drafted after getting suspended.

Hell, Sentrel Henderson was suspended 3 times in college, was drafted, was suspended 2x in the pros, and after all that he is on the Texans' roster. Kind of puts the lie to the supposition that drug suspensions are a red line for the Texans.

csj and houstonstime like this.
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I feel like it was you who over-simplified. In your quest to just bash the FO you put the results of last season on a 7th rounder we got this year instead of a guy you liked. The FO is in no way perfect, but them not going for Hill shouldn't be your big fight, no other team went for him either. Kinda like no other team went for Kaepernick yet only OUR FO are the a-holes for ostracizing him? Hell, we got Justin Reid, brother of a kneeler, but I thought Bob would never do something like that. Yet it's not getting talked about because its against the narrative.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

KJ Dillon was waived last Sept.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

I know I should let this go but they could have had Bo Scarborough or Justin Jackson with this pick. Or another OT Cunningham.

coachbadlee likes this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um.....if they were available in the 7th round, then their chances of making the team would be minimal.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Funny that they just resigned a 6th round RB (backup in college). So different than a younger, hungrier rookie who will have a chip on his shoulder for dropping all the way to the 7th round.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

That he was available in the 7th round told you what teams thought about him. Maybe the Cowboys will get something out of him........

11. raining threes

?

It's not my fight, because the Texans will never have the type of team I want as long as the McNair's own the team. A championship caliber team. This isn't about Holton Hill, this is about the McNair's philosophy and them not letting their GM pick the best players possible, even if they have some offield issues.

#31 raining threes, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

?
    So McNair's philosophy is why they didn't pick Holton Hill? I guess no owner will let you have the type of team you want... HE WENT UNDRAFTED.

And if not Holton Hill. What other better player had off field issues that we didn't pick up? Maybe Kelly will be better? Who knows..

csj and No Worries like this.
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Des Harrison, Kameron Kelly, Jeremy Reaves just to name a few.

raining threes likes this.
  14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Sooooo McNair has this philosophy that you hate which causes him not to pick better players in the draft because of off field issues.

Then you name 3 other players that went undrafted... Does every other team have a terrible owner? I don't get it.

15. raining threes

Other teams either A bring these guys in as UDFA's, B. draft them

coachbadlee likes this.
  16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, this is a tired old narrative on this board, it's always the racist old white KKK rich man from the South. Maybe someone should get a group together and make the old fart an offer. Then you can pickup all of the guys with the "attitude" that you think will make a better football player.

csj likes this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm just saying these kids are being punished for being......kids. They did what thousands of people did in college. The only difference is they got caught.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Haven't heard too many racism comments. Maybe 1 or 2. The general consensus is they can't get over the off the field hang ups like other teams have.

raining threes likes this.
  19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Are those thousands of kids in line to make millions playing a game if they can just keep their life together for 3-4 years? Goodness. And UDFA is a crapshoot, but the players mentioned by @raining threes ALL WENT UNDRAFTED, yet only our FO is crazy for punishing them. Hell, the Minnesota Vikings, who saved precious Holton Hill from not getting on a team in UDFA picked Devante Downs AFTER US in the 7th round. Not Holton Hill, DEVANTE DOWNS, he has no draft grade, suggested time in developmental league, not even a picture on his draft profile. How do you know we didn't go ask Hill to join our team in UDFA? Maybe we did and he picked MINN. You guys are nuts with this narrative pushing..

TheFreak, Chamillionaire and Nimo like this.
  20. raining threes

I dont know anything and neither do you.

I do know until the Texans org starts taking shots on guys like Harrison/Hill (Please focus your your response on the word like these guys) they wont be winning any championships. That's good enough for most of the fanbase which only furthers McNair's thought process on that his policies are correct. You cant really argue with McNair since NRG is sold out every Sunday and there's no sense of urgency to win down on Kirby because of this. McNair is more interested in things like doing TV deals/NA etc... things that effect the bottom line. If he just stuck to that and didn't put parameters on his FO then his Texans wouldn't be finishing 4-12.

red5rocket likes this.