1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

68% of ______ __________ do not believe U.S. has responsibility to accept refugees

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 11, 2019.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Ok. You read it how ever you want to make you feel like you've justified your position.

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am glad that we accept refugees and hope that we continue to do so. I dont have a problem with some people thinking we shouldnt be obligated to do so with no exceptions. I guess it comes down to the interpretation of the word "responsible" in this question.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You dont **** about my position. Did i state my position?

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why do you turn every post into a troll post?

dachuda86 likes this.
  5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In South America, when the Catholic Church first introduced Chtistianity, the natives that adopted it created a new syncretic religion that was about 90% Catholicism and 10% native beliefs.

In fact religions get blended together so often in history that there is a special word just for it, syncretism

It just happens that the native religion of WASP America is a particularly avaricious strain of capitalism that views every interaction transactionally in terms of profit/loss.

Amiga and CometsWin like this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Faux rage gonna faux rage.

Stupid posters gonna post stupid polls.

Define "responsibility".
    Define what part of the law dictates the US should have responsibility.

I thought we wanted separation of religion and state. Or is that only when it applys to ones position?

If one wants to attack evangelicals, which many deserve, ask what their personal moral obligation is to refugees, not a country.

Again, stupid poll. Who really cares what they think.

7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Jesus totally would say something like this. "Amen I say to you, help everyone except refugees because they weren't a concept of my time and I'm not specifically referring to them. Refugees and asylum seekers should be treated with the utmost contempt and judgment. Lock them in cages and separate them. It is what I would want from my sheep."

leroy likes this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The point is it wasn't an issue. So you dont have to make a stupid ass made up quote. This is a political topuc. Jesus wasn't political

9. London'sBurning

Yea Jesus would totally be silent over any injustices going on in the modern world. He's only referring to issues that people dealt with some 2,000 years ago. How can we expect the human embodiment of an all knowing and benevolent God to understand the complexities modern day humans face today? It's...just...not...possible.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What political positions did Jesus take?

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Depends on the definition of refugee these days. That is probably skewing the poll. Also I post biblically in jest.

Also I love how serious people are, coming back with cherry pickings assuming I care about the bible like I am some evangelical. Far from it.

12. London'sBurning

Politics is too complex a topic for an all knowing God to explain in text some thousands of years ago. You're right. Why do people even read the Bible?

Besides we both know there weren't asylum seekers thousands of years ago. Or politics. Or even social issues that drove the masses back in the day. These are modern day issues that are above Jesus' thought processes. When pgab's is right, he's right.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Jesus Was a Refugee
    https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org...e/jesus-historical-jesus/jesus-was-a-refugee/

adoo likes this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Exactly and accepting refugees as citizens is a very specific issue beyond helping the needy

15. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I haven't really studied any religious ideology to a high degree so I could be wrong here

HOWEVER, isn't Christianity based on the ideology that not everyone will be allowed to enter 'heaven'?

Doesn't Christianity predict a rapture? Where certain people are taken off this planet before it breakouts into an apocalyptic war sending just about every earthly inhabitant left into a refugee state that gets essentially shunned & denied by God?

I really don't know.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Old Testament? Are you Jewish?

Even if you consider them to be sinning, do you think Jesus would fail to accommodate them?

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Disagree. It’s not the number by itself that is interesting, but rather the number relative to what other demographic groups think, and also relative to what white evangelicals believed in the past.

I don’t think evangelicals should necessarily take a particular policy position based on their religion, but the reasons for the positions they do take is nevertheless interesting.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

In Biblical terms, the "responsibility" is laid out pretty clear. If you are a Christian, you are your brothers keeper, and have responsibilities to help those in need, and minister to them.

I grew up going to church 3 times a week. My dad was a Deacon in the church. The fact that Evangelical Christians have completely disregarded their own Bible's basic fundamental teachings tells you all you have to know about how far the Church has fallen in the past few years.

Glad to know that you are still one of the few that isn't checking the box here for the sake of modern politics. TBH, I do think it is mostly the "leaders" of the Southern Baptist/Evangelical/Televangelist movement who are shown to be completely bought and sold by the Republican Party, but I know there are many that still attend these churches that are mostly good people that struggle internally with the political ramifications vs the teachings of Jesus Christ. My father being one of them who is a Trump voter, and former Deacon who on several occasions has really displayed the internal battle I know many on the right are dealing with, and hope they can one day come around to saying what is right is right, and my religion & my politics aren't always needing to 100% align.

Right now though... I know Trump voters going through this battle internally are still allowing their political leanings to overshadow their moral judgement instilled on them by years of following (at least in textual terms) the teachings of Christ.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What reasons are they taking? Besides the obvious ... which is tribalism.

The only responsibility the US has is to its own citizens and its laws.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

When it comes to the refugee question, what do you think Jesus would do?

Answer this question honestly.

Do you think he would turn them aside and tell them to fend for themselves or do you think he would assist them and show empathy for their plight?