1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[610] Which Houston Franchise will win a title first?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by snc, Mar 30, 2010.

?

Which team will win a title first?

1. Astros

32 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Rockets

114 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Texans

125 vote(s)
    46.1%
  1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Didn't the Rockets win their 2nd title as a sixth seed?

2. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I think it's silly to say any sport is easier to win a championship than another. At the end of the day, you still have to be better than around 30 other teams.

Texans sadly, are probably the closest right now. They got a lot of good pieces and are playing in a division that is starting to weaken. How much longer will Peyton play at a high level and carry the team (if they suffer injuries). How much longer will Peyton's durability last?

Astros are still rebuilding. The division isn't great, but it's better than it was. The Cardinals still have a good rotation and still have Pujols, for at least one more year. The Reds won the division at around 20 games over and are young.

The Rockets are an enigma I think. They got good pieces that lack a star and a strong inside presence. If you could get one or both, would things turn quickly for them? And where do you find those missing pieces? And if you do find them you still have to get through a tough conference.

3. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

There's less room for error and luck when you play 82 games then have to play a long 7 series' with every team. The best team will always win in the NBA.

The NFL everyone in the playoffs has an equal chance to win because its only one game you have to beat the opponent. There's only 16 games in the regular season. Make the playoffs and you're halfway there.

There's only about 4 teams in the NBA who realistically have a shot at winning a chip every year.

4. Poloshirtbandit

This was my thinking as well, but it seems like the rest of the NL Central got much better. Who knows what injuries happen over the course of the season though.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm one of 16 who voted for the Astros! I don't think any Houston franchise has much chance of winning a championship in the next couple of years, but after that (and under new ownership probably looking to make a splash), I could see the Astros going all the way.

astros123 likes this.
  6. SuraGotMadHops

I'll go with the Rockets only because I don't trust the competence of the front office of the other two organizations.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Where do we start...

1. Although Wade can take credit for the Phillies players he scouted, the fact remained that he reached the playoffs ZERO TIMES when he was their GM. Now I know he's not the main guy to blame for that, but it takes an organization-wide effort to pull off some of those chokejobs they had year after year in Philadelphia to practically give away the playoff spot in the last few days of the season. Wade has take some blame for that, for not acquiring enough talent on the stretch drive to buffer his team well enough.

2. You can call it a "youth movement" if that's what you want to call what's going on in Minute Maid right now, but that doesn't mean that the youths can play worth a damn. It won't matter getting high draft picks year after year if we keep drafting "toolsy" middle infielders where their tool is their glove/footspeed. Bobby Heck and Wade have yet to prove to me that they can adequately evaluate talent during their tenure in Houston.

3. Nepotism doesn't always have to mean that you chose the guy with the famous daddy over the guy most deserving for the job, but it usually does (ya hear that Bob McNair? I guess not). Give me a call when Drayton McLane and his bottom-line-first we-take-care-of-our-own-down-here-in-the-South loser mentality has taken its stench out of the front office and out onto the street. Maybe when that happens I'll start giving the Astros some credit again.

Until then, one thing counts around here and that's wins. Wins the Astros don't have.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The rockets got drexler midway through the season, once clyde got settled in the rockets were the best team in basketball.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and no team had done that before..

and no team has done it since.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

And Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler aren't walking through that door any time soon.

As far as the question goes, I'll go with the Texans -- with the addendum that I don't think Houston will get a championship from any of it's teams for at least another decade or two.

11. msn

msn Member

BOOOOOOOO!!!!!

12. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

What a depressing thing to bring up.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well this should make you feel a little better. The talk up here in Dallas is mostly about the Super Bowl but some of the cowsheep sports writers are actually daring to criticize his holiness Jeral Jones for the ass-backwards way he's run the Cowboys. Since 2001, the NFC has sent 10 different teams to the Super Bowl. Peter King wrote today:

Winners of the championship in the 16-team NFC in the past 10 seasons:
    2010 Green Bay
    2009 New Orleans
    2008 Arizona
    2007 New York Giants
    2006 Chicago
    2005 Seattle
    2004 Philadelphia
    2003 Carolina
    2002 Tampa Bay
    2001 St. Louis

Please note that none of those teams are named Dallas. During that entire time, the Cowboys have only managed to win one - O N E - playoff game (which coincidently, was your new Defensive Coordinator's first playoff win but I digress). You look at teams like Green Bay and Pittsburgh and those teams are about substance and winning. You look at the Cowboys and they are about glamour and publicity. You look at the Texans and they are about...sorry! I was trying to cheer you up. My bad...

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Donny with the tip in.

[​IMG]

15. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

AFC Championship-
    2010 Pittsburgh
    2009 Indy
    2008 NE Pats
    2007 Indy
    2006 Pittsburgh
    2005 NE Pats
    2004 NE Pats
    2003 Oakland
    2002 NE Pats
    2001 Baltimore

Pretty amazing Pittsburgh, NE and Indy know how to run a NFL organization.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The Rockets. They are the only Houston professional team with a good, steady owner.

Drayton brought in some studs during the 90's and brought us Clemens and Petitte, but has been looking to sell the franchise for the past couple seasons.

Les Alexander has gone out and made blockbuster trades throughout his tenure as owner. Whether people agreed with them or not he has consistently shown that he is interested in improving the team and bringing championship calibur players to the team. Since Rudy-T left he has also had the presence of mind to hire and fire coaches to push his team to the next level.

Boob McNair is installing a good-ole-boy network so he can laugh at all the ghastly peasants who claim that a coach who has shown a two win improvement at best since he became head coach is a worthy accomplishment. That will quickly bring down his reputation for bringing football back to Houston in a hurry after people take off their rose tinted glasses. "On the right track" that's the kind of **** you hear just before the train derailes, killing everyone in the process.

17. RocketMania1991

Could easily argue that the Rockets are #3 on the pecking order for chance at a title.

Texans almost have the talent needed, just a few personnel problems lacking in both the coaching and playing parts.

Astros have already started rebuilding and baseball is one of the most random sports in the league. Every year a new team seems to show up out of nowhere and play competitive ball. And once your in the playoffs in baseball its a tossup from there. One single guy can nearly carry a team.

For basketball you need stacked and balanced roster. And the Rockets are years away from being able to compete against the Lakers/Celtics/Heat or any other contender in a seven game series.

Would have to say

#1.Texans
    #2.Astros
    #3.Rockets

As of right now at least.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

you mixed up a couple there, but yes, that is impressive

2011 Pittsburgh
    2010 Indy
    2009 Pittsburgh
    2008 New England

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Rockets have the most competent front office, and few years ago I would've said the Astros.

The Texans, I'm sorry are not really ready for prime time as they say. I guess until they build their defense a little more, maybe find another exceptional player on offense or defense, and find a new coaching staff/management.

The Rockets in reality are simply one star player and a fairly decent big man away from being competitive or even moving up in the ranks of the conference. Yao Ming (healthy) is the one star player void, sadly. If the Rockets put a top 10-19 player in that void, I can't see this team being any worse and in fact on about the same level as say a team like the Oklahoma City Thuder or Atlanta Hawks.

20. samtaylor

samtaylor Member