1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[610] Which Houston Franchise will win a title first?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by snc, Mar 30, 2010.

?

Which team will win a title first?

1. Astros

32 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Rockets

114 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Texans

125 vote(s)
    46.1%
  1. msn

msn Member

:( :(

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The Texans by a long shot. The texans have elite players at key positions. The rockets have a lot of really good sidekicks. The NFL playoffs are one offs which allows for a lot more randomness. If there defense was even middle of the pack, they would have won 5 more games.

7 Game Serieses do not. You have to be better or close to your opponent. The rockets are no where close to the level the Lakers, Celtics, Heat and Spurs are at. They need a superstar which is not easy to come by. I can't understand how anyone would think they are anywhere close to a championship.

Even when you have a really good team, it's still really really hard.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Well now all teams are just embarrassing, thanks for the kick in the groin. I guess you just gotta vote with your gut: which team is closest to initiating the rebuilding process?

Roster-wise it's the Astros. No loose change in their payroll except Carlos Lee, but the main problem is that McLane hasn't sold the team yet and Wade is still the general manager, so yeah you can't even consider starting to build properly until those two are out.

The Texans still have Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak. Next.

The Rockets cannot begin rebuilding until Yao's gone, but fortunately we do have the right management to make decisions once that capspace does open up. I hope. It's just a shame that, once it was apparent the Yao/Tracy core did not have a championship as its ceiling (probably around 2007), we did not burn the house down and start anew. Yeah yeah we all know that Yao meant a lot to the city and the NBA and the entire country of China blah blah blah, but in reality drafting him was the worst move the franchise could make. Jason Williams was taken second, and it was tragic that his career was cut short by the accident; nevertheless, the Bulls were able to go into the tank again and win Derrick Rose as a result. With Yao the Rockets have had to undergo a decade of fruitless blueballs mediocrity/competitiveness and only now, in 2011, do we get the chance to wiggle ourselves out from under the giants tomb. So here we go, I'm crossing my fingers that David Stern's nice to us these next few years. I always thought he considered us to be a second-tier city like Chicago, one that didn't have to contend every year but hell, we had damn-well better be relevant at least.

This team won't stay star-less for long.

1 person likes this.
  4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

None of the above

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dynamo?
    Aeros?
    Cougars?
    :p

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

None of our squads are close to contenders now, so you have to go by difficulty in each league. So it's the Astros and this is easy.

In the NBA you have to actually be the best team, no flukes, Rockets aren't even close. They rockets have been by far the best team in the city in recent years, Four 50 win seasons, and they've won a grand total of 1 playoff series.

The NFL Is easier than the NBA, but not as easy as baseball. The Texans are closest to being contenders right now, but this regime chokes far too much.

In baseball, if you just get to the playoffs you got a great chance. If you had done a power ranking in 06 the cardinals would have been the 12th best team in baseball, and they won it all. The 03 Marlins were mediocre, and so were this years giants. The Astros organization sucks right now, but they have made playoff appearances. one fluke year and you can be world series champs.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I just checked the poll results, you people have no since of reality if you think our Rockets are anywhere near a title.

8. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Check again. Most of the votes probably came in April 2010, Rockets then appeared to be a very different team.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What exactly is the problem with Wade? I'm not saying he's the best GM in baseball, but he is not what is holding back the Astros. If anything, he's doing a pretty damn good job and giving us fans something to hopefully look forward to. There's a youth movement we haven't seen in 2 decades. The farm system is undergoing a complete overhaul and it's largely due to Ed Wade and his staff. Let us not forget, the Phillies are where they are partly because of Wade.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

This was made 10 months ago. ;)

11. Nook

Nook Member

THE COMETS FTW!

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

None of the teams are close.
    The NBA is a place you can turn things around in a hurry.

Depends on what ya mean TITLE
    1. Division Title - Texans SHOULD have a good shot to win division next year.
    2. Conference Title - I just don't have confidence in Kubiak to win 2 or 3 games in the Playoffs. I think the Rockets will make some major changes soon.
    3. Superbowl/NBA Championship/MLB Champions - Still with the rockets

aside - i know nothing of baseball so i ignored it

Rocket River

13. Pocket Rockets

1984-85 Rockets appeared in finals
    1994-95 Rockets win back to back finals
    2004-05 Astros get to NLCS and World Series
    2014-15 ???? This is my prediction of the next winning seasons for a Houston team

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um...your time line is off. LOL. the 85-86 rockets were in the finals....lol.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Saying the Texans...only because the NFL is the easiest league to ride a hot year all the way. 3-4 postseason wins gets you everything, and the seperation between the best teams and worst is the smallest.

16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

1. Texans - Quick turnarounds happen all the time in the NFL.

2. Astros - The NL central isn't anything special, if the Astros could stay around .500 they'd probably make a trade or two and the MLB playoffs always have surprises.

3. Rockets - Unless you're the '95 Rockets, you aren't winning a title if you're not a top seed. Rockets aren't close to being a top seed.

Oh, the Aeros are in second place ;)

17. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Basketball is probably the hardest to win, but the fastest to do a complete roster overhaul. When we got Hakeem, we were instant contenders right away and went to multiple conference and NBA finals. When we added Yao and McGrady we immediately became a 50 win team. We failed to do anything is because they could not stay healthy together and the West was extremly tough. In basketball you need superstars to get you there, which we don't have at the moment. Just ask The Lakers who were an average team before Pau Gasol came along, or the lottery bound Celtics before the big 3 arrival.

However, after watching The San Francisco Giants winning The World Series with 2 aces and a bunch of scrubs, I would have to agree baseball is the easiest to win, and with the addition of the wild card, and there are talks of expanding the MLB playoffs, I think my pick would be The Astros

My pick would be The Astros

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm still going with the Texans. It seems the Astros and Rockets are further away.

At least with the Texans we have superstar all-pro talents with Mario, Andre, Foster, Ryans. Something the other teams just don't have.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Sadly, the Texans despite being the worst run organization in town, simply because it is far easier to turn a team around in football/go on a playoff run

20. Apps

Apps Member

I don't think I voted in the original poll, but daaaamn... Houston is in a sports hole right now. Didn't even think of it like that until I saw the name of all three of those teams while actively thinking about the question at hand.

Sheesh.