1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[4th round #103] Keke Coutee, WR, Texas Tech

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 28, 2018.

?

Do you like the selection of Keke Coutee?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2018.
  1. YES

82.5%
  2. NO

17.5%
  1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I watched some Watson highlights this morning, and it has me more and more excited for this pick.

I watched a lot of film on Mahomes last year and this kid stuck out big time. I remember wondering if it was Mahomes that had the talent or his receivers just getting massive YAC.

The way Watson performed with Fuller last year, I think this kid can be a stud for us. He and Fuller (and Akin?) taking the top ofd defenses will only help Hopkins.

Yeah, it may have been a little early, but who knows.

Some people may say this is a gadget position. I say thats hooey. The Patriots offense has run like a well-oiled machine for years. Aside from having the greatest qb ever, the next thing making it tick is a good, twitch slot guy.

Keke may be that guy for us.

2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree. I've been wanting a reliable slot for a while, but this kid looks like he could be a dynamic game changer. With Welker being his mentor and his work ethic the sky could be the limit. I was wanting to add Deon Cain because of his familiarity with DW, but I think this pocket rocket gives us another dimension to the offense. Can't wait for football season, I'm starting to get the feeling we may have the most exciting passing game in the league if we can pass block even a little.

red5rocket and Two Sandwiches like this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This can be said of every pick.

Nimo and csj like this.
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

They comped him to John Brown on nfl.com, I like T.Y. Hilton.

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t forget we can finally have a return man. Special teams should be good this year.

6. How Sweet It Is!

Please don't embarrass the board making claims like that that others can find on google. People will think we are all morons.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hey, Ill be the first to tell you that I dont follow mock drafts and dont read into too much about players draft profiles before the draft. So, with that being said, go **** yourself.

macho GRANDE and RunninRaven like this.
  8. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed, I think this is a solid pick. He seems to have real football instincts and not just all speed. Tracks the ball really well and seems to have at least average hands. Tracking the ball in the air is one of the hardest things to do for a guy that runs that fast. He looks excellent at changing his body and speed when the ball is in the air to either slow down, slide over to make an easier catch, etc. You can't really teach that. Fuller has that ability as well with below average hands.

I haven't seen many intermediate/comeback routes with this guy but I would be a little shocked if he is not capable of playing on the outside on occasion depending on matchups. Don't see him as a gadget player and a little more than a situational player since we play 3 WR's so often. I can see him playing 40-60% of the snaps and can hopefully take hold of a return position or both Kickoff and punt return duties. If so, he will be well worth a 4th round pick. IMO, you can't teach speed or tracking the ball. If he has good instincts you can teach just about everything else with repetition/muscle memory like route running, catching with hands, etc.

red5rocket likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

The way DW4 can keep plays alive and throwing to Hop, Will, and Lil KeKe.... Wow

11. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This was my favorite pick of our draft. Coutee is a burner, a natural hands catcher, and a potential special teams demon. Sign me up.

12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Lance Zerlein said this guy takes over for Braxton right away. Only thing Keke can’t do is return punts. He can’t catch punts but he’ll catch a spiral easily. Possible kick returner.

13. 1234567

1234567 Member

Braxton is gone. This could be a good one...
    The RAC is strong for this one.

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I made Braxton my backup qb on Madden ;)

Fulgore likes this.
  15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

He might be the second best qb on the team :D:D

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

If this guy does nothing but turn out to be a really good returner then it was worth it. While I love more weapons for Watson, and I bet Welker turns him into a Welker type.. I have been hoping for a returner for years. Just one time, having someone who could break a TD run at any given time would be so cool.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

They've had good returners (Jacoby, Trindon, Demps, Ervin, etc), they just don't do much on this team.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Jacoby was only good in Balt, Trindon only in Denver, never thought Demps or Ervin was good, but Manning was okay.

19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Jones and Holliday both suffered from Kubiak's coaching. If that isn't blatantly obvious idk what is...

As for Coutee, I'm intrigued. We still need a slot guy for Wes Welker to mold and he seems as good as any. I like at least on his highlights...there seems to be that element of elusive running but it doesn't come with dancing. It's pretty much juice and taking great angles, getting north and south and staying north and south.

I still think Braxton has a place on the team though. Christ, play him as a RB. MAKE HIM backup QB!?!? Why not? I'll tell you why not because only the Texans could take an offensive talent like Braxton, shoehorn him into a role he doesn't really fit, give up and draft his replacement 2 drafts later.

macho GRANDE and Nimo like this.
  20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Jacoby and Trindon are pro-bowlers. Talent wasn't the issue. Ervin was good in college (that's all we have going for Kekee). Demps was good in Philly and KC and if not for earning the starting safety he would have continued in Houston too. He averaged 33 yards per return in 2011. Manning was more than okay.

Dankstronaut likes this.