1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

43% of Fifth Ward Families Have a Cancer Diagnosis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jan 23, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/43-percent-of-fifth-ward-families-have-a-cancer-diagnosis

It surprises me some topics that dont make it here. Guess no stupid Trump tweets in article. This has been in the local news at least a month. Erin Brokovich just came to town in regards to this.

I posted this because the title of the article is incorrect. The area in question was near a rail yard in fifth ward. Not the entire 5th Ward. Fox News got it wrong in favor of minorities fighting the man. I live near this rail yard but not in the area in question

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I've seen this posted on here, Union Pacific Englewood rail yard is the one next to 5th ward, I wonder why it's just 5th ward being effected because there a 3 or 4 other neighborhoods surrounding that railyard.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Could be the direction the groundwater flows

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They are saying lung cancer is the most common and that creosote is in the air.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Another thing Fox got wrong.Other news organizations are naming Kashmere Gardens

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The incoming lawsuits are going to claim a plume underground from what ive seen in news reports

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So it is groundwater pollution and not air pollution? It was stated that the most common cancer is lung, but I guess that's the 2nd most common cancer in America anyways, behind skin cancer (which is rare for black people).

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Invisible Fan and ElPigto like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Creosotes such as coal tar are liquids. But they are also volatile (like gasoline) meaning they evaporate into the air easily and thus can be breathed in.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

They'll only show up if you post them. Thanks for bringing this one.

I don't have much faith in TCEQ to bring adequate enforcement here. It's a good thing they're attracting attention because they're going to need some big time lawyers to fight UP.

Nook, dmoneybangbang and Andre0087 like this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Very fair response which i expected. When this hit the news i wanted to start a thread about class actions suits and the media. I was of the thought the media would immediately villify the rail road company but they haven't.

Im not a lawyer but the issue here i think if this hits courts is obviously Union Pacific didn't contaminate the a area and Union Pacific seems to have done the required work in accessing the site when purchasing it.

The state seems to also have already done an assessment of cancer rates in the area and gave a thumbs up even though the area had elevated cancer rates. The state hasnt said anything so far but i think it will have some questions to answer.

#11 pgabriel, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Andre0087 likes this.
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

UP didn't contaminate the area, but they bought up the company that did do. Unless it was just an asset transaction, they would have acquired that companies' legal liabilities at the same time. So I'd still fault them.

The "oversight" by the TCEQ probably gives them some cover. I'm sure they fully complied with every requirement from the regulator. And that's what they'll argue in court. But TCEQ is a bit of a sweetheart agency that I would say is overly-concerned about keeping Texas' pro-business reputation. Their bias is to under-react to problems, and it seems to have borne out here as their earlier requirement to inform impacted residents to not use local wells was, in retrospect, grossly insufficient. Maybe it's TCEQ who should be sued.

13. Buck Turgidson

The TCEQ is probably the single most ineffectual agency in the state government, and that's saying something.

Nook likes this.
  14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This actually plays out over and over all over the country. My wife's family is from a little town in Oklahoma called Bartlesville which has a huge cancer center that makes no sense, until you learn thar there was a huge Zinc refinery there for decades called National Zinc that contaminated the groundwater with chemicals and heavy metals.

But only poor people build homes next to rail yards, chemical plants and heavy metal smelters, so nobody gives a F. If the Cuyahoga river hadn't lit on fire, I'm sure Cleveland chemical plants would still be dumping all their s**t into it. The clusters of death are small, and scattered enough that it doesnt pass a threshold for public outrage.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Industry will regulate itself far better than the gov't or people! MAGA!

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is a diagnosis diagnosis anything like a ride ride?

Nook and pgabriel like this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think it's more mahi mahi?

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Either way you're going to have to pay for it.

19. Exiled

Exiled Member

Sadly no cure for this type of lung cancer