1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3rd Attempt: GOP/Trump Repeal & Replace ACA and Trump lie about pre-exist coverage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 30, 2017.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Strike one

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

23 M vs 22 M. Mean and Mean -1.

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

As a current hospital worker, I obviously cannot support a health care bill that would put even more stress on hospitals via the uninsured.

Many years ago, an E.R. physician told me in confidence whether these uninsured patients expected her to work for free, because let's us be honest, the uninsured will default when they get that huge hospital bill.

How can any politician pass a health care bill which significantly reduces access to health care, and call it an improvement over the current system is beyond me. Smh...

mtbrays likes this.
  4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

So the people who are no longer being forced to purchase insurance they don't want to buy won't do it, and that is the bulk of the growth in "uninsured" as compared to the PPACA? That hardly seems like something that should sink the law.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Obamacare was designed to fail. Trumpcare is accelerating it. People who support the ACA as a workable solution baffle me. And politicians on both sides are playing their constitutes as fools.

The best part; When the whole medicine cartel starts to fall apart, it will be those with employer insurance who will be hurt the most. Maybe they should have taken Obamacare more serious.

6. Space Ghost

I recently had a minor workplace laceration. I went to an urgent care to be evaluated. When I told them it was a work place injury, the refused to see me unless I had workers comp information on hand at the time. I did not want to make a workers comp claim and I was willing to pay cash. They didnt care and told me to goto the ER if I wanted that. I went to a different urgent care and left out the work place. $300.00 and 5 stitch's and Im out. The ER would have costed me thousands. An insurance bill would have probably costed the same too.

Its a real shame our healthcare is so messed up. Basic care does not have to cost a lot. Our screwed up industry adds huge amounts of unnecessary overhead. The sooner this all burns to the ground, the better for us all.

7. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. It is absolutely true that many of our er patients are there because they were told to there by either their own physicians and clinics such as the one which attended to you.

There are parts of the ACA that are almost universally liked such as pre-existing condition. How about working on improving what is perceived to be lacking and making it a better product? Slow, gradual improvements, including a massive national education of what constitutes a real emergency and conditions that could be treated at your local clinic and primary doctors would go a long way to reduce overall costs.

The most outrageous example was a dude who wanted pain meds for manicure pain. o_O. The ER doc made him wait 4 hours in the waiting room and sent him home with nothing. Lol

8. Major

Major Member

If that were true, that would be relevant. But it's not, so the strawman is kind of pointless.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Go Trump! go USA!

11. Space Ghost

We all pretty much agree pre-existing conditions need to be covered in some form or fashion. The difference lies is how this is done. Forcing a for-profit private industry to manage this is just a very very very bad idea, especially one that is entrenched so deep into the medical field. When a cash procedure costs much much less than an insured procedure, there is obviously something very wrong.

For a self employed individual making 40k a year paying a 400 premium with a 10k deductible, a serious injury could bankrupt him. What is more reasonable to him? Paying 5000 a year in premiums or paying $200 for a doctor visit if he gets the flu? If he gets seriously hurt, he will just default on the bill. If its catastrophic, he will just jump on the ACA the next year and be covered. As it is now, the ACA is seriously flawed.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

single payer would do it; i had hope that Trump would actually go for it. He's nothing but a fraud without shame.

13. Major

Major Member

Good thing Obamacare made this scenario impossible then, right?

Nook likes this.
  14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

16. Space Ghost

Congratulations Major. At 40k a year, I get a $30.00 a month tax credit back on my premium. You yet win again on a technicality. Tell that to the poor schmuck who's premiums are still outrageous even after that $30.00 generous tax credit that you are so proud about. Too bad he will lose his doctor next year when the insurance company drops his plan. Lets not mention his paltry 10% discount will be offset in a 15% rise in premiums in the following year. The ACA is so fabulous! And to top it off, you get to be right.

17. Major

Major Member

First off, I don't think you or they understand math if you think that's 100%. And second, a big reason for that is that the Supreme Court changed Obamacare Medicaid expansion, which both prevented a ton of people from getting Medicaid coverage and also raised the cost of healthcare for everyone else due to higher uninsured rates. The law that was implemented was not remotely the law that the CBO scored, so your tweet regurgitation is pretty irrelevant - not that you actually care about facts or anything.

Beyond that, the tweet is not even factually correct, so the whole thing is even more ridiculous. Similar to Space Ghost, instead of spending all your time searching for tweets you can repost, you might want to spend more time understanding the basics of the law you're discussing.

#437 Major, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Nook likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

If you make $40k per year, you should be able to get a Silver Plan for less than 10% of your income after subsidies. Beyond that, a silver plan is almost certain to not have a $10k / yr deductible.

I did not "win on a technicality". You simply were completely wrong about every one of your facts - the cost of the plan and the deductible. And you were off by way more than $30/month. It seems like if you want to have an actual discussion on Obamacare, you'd want to know the very basics about how it works instead of caring about "winning" or "losing" arguments.

KingCheetah, Nook and CometsWin like this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

http://www.factcheck.org/2017/03/cbos-obamacare-predictions-how-accurate/

The CBO score was more accurate than most predictors in most areas of ACA. More accurate than the Obama admin predicted even.

Also Trumps Health Secretary nominated the head CBO official. It's hardly an excuse to sit there like SpaceGhost and Trump sycophants will be able to use.

Will it be 100% accurate??... well no of course not. However when you factor in any way shape or form giving billions in tax breaks to the wealthy and having deep cuts to Medicaid OF COURSE a TON of people will get kicked off of health insurance.

CBO credibility or not, the basic fundamentals of the AHCA stand on their own as a reverse Robin Hood tax bill. Either you are a heartless deficit hawk with a strong belief in Trickle Down Economics or you oppose this bill. You can't have it any other way. Blaming the CBO doesn't allow you to escape that reality.

20. dmoneybangbang

And if they still don't like the CBO, then ask them to present their metrics and analysis on the effects of Trumpcare...