1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s certainly debatable, but Jones hit for a wRC+ of 87 and 81 in 2017. In a new scenario where there are 2 less rosters in the minors, it’s possible he doesn’t make it out of that year. If you want to say that new tech means they would have identified him as a future big leaguer despite the poor performance (above even more guys than they did in real life), I won’t argue, but that’s giving teams an awful lot of benefit of the doubt.

Houston for the most part has rushed role players to have a steady stream of cheap depth, and so far has almost always manipulated service time for players with star potential. Most of the guys they have gotten to mlb quickly won’t even be in the big leagues for 6 seasons.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Bregman went through minors quickly. Alvarez the same until he had to wait a couple of months. Tucker was doing 2 levels a year until being stuck on a holding pattern. Whitley flew up to AA before falling apart.

The last step, the Astros manipulate, but they get them to the last step faster than other teams regardless of star status.

raining threes likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Do you have any data to support that the average time from signing to the majors is shorter for Astros prospects than any other team?

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Just reading baseball prospect lists, heard Luhnow mention it, and have seen FanGraphs prospect guy mention it.

5. Screaming Fist

Bielak's stuff up on Brooks. Fastball does not look good at all but several of his secondary pitches look promising, particularly his curve.

[​IMG]

He's going to need to be very careful with how he uses his fastball but he has a deep enough repertoire to keep hitters off balance for at least a couple of times through the order.

Nook, Joe Joe, raining threes and 2 others like this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Curve and changeup are above average and fb is only slightly below average. He has the makings of a good 4th starter.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

2018-2019 AA/AAA Leaders in K%-BB% (Starters only)
    1. Urquidy
    2. Javier
    3. James

My favorite pitching stat to follow in the minors.

8. Buck Turgidson

"Throw strikes, Babe Ruth is dead."

No Worries and raining threes like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/08/minor-league-baseball-changes-negotiating-teams.html

Interesting and dangerous situation unfolding in the background. MiLB appears to be unable to put up a united front and effectively negotiate, which seems to point to MLB toying with the idea of tossing out the whole structure and forming their own minor leagues.

I don’t necessarily think it would be a bad thing for the big league orgs to own all the affiliated minor league teams, but I think it would only work if there was a deal to make for a smooth transition, meaning essentially a buyout where all the minor league owners (or at least the owners of all the teams in the full season leagues) agree to be purchased by their affiliates MLB org.

Dream scenario for Houston would be to buy the Express (they already own the AA Corpus Christi Hooks and High A Fayetteville Woodpeckers) and own 3 full season teams along with their GCL and DSL complexes, although I don’t know how that meshes with the rumored desire of Crane’s to add a minor league team closer to Houston, which would almost certainly be a AAA team. I would hate to see the Astros give up the Express and concede the Austin market to the Rangers.

I half-wonder if there was something related to the Express that led to the falling out between Crane and the Ryan’s.

#329 Snake Diggit, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

When I was in Austin, losing the Express to the Rangers was a dark day.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On the current MiLB system, I can see why MLB teams would want to own the MiLB teams considering the amount of money involved with player development. I don't think travel helps player development. MLB teams being in charge of teams would help logistics. Fewer teams with better talent should help development. For players that don't make the full-season teams, developing at the spring training facilities, intrasquad games, or nearby intersquad games is probably better than young players on the road eating fast food playing out short seasons all over the place.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He did fire/demote Reid Ryan and replace him with his son after the most successful seasons we've ever had. I understand why he did it, but it's fairly well documented that Nolan is hard headed and stubborn. He doesn't take slights very well. I highly doubt there was something prior that caused the rift.

There's a reason he's ping ponged between the 2 organizations for 40 years. If you do something to make him mad he goes to the other, and because he's such a legend in this state he's always welcomed with open arms.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

In an atypical year, MLB Pipeline presents an atypical update to our prospects lists.

Since we posted our initial Top 100 Prospects and organizational Top 30 rankings for 2020, the coronavirus has limited baseball action to three weeks of Spring Training games, glimpses of Summer Camp action and a couple of weeks of big league contests. We didn't believe it made any sense to make wholesale changes to our rankings based on those small sample sizes.

What we have done is added 2020 Draft picks to our lists, 13 to the Top 100 and a total of 103 to the team Top 30s. Throughout the season, we'll continue to make changes as players graduate from rookie/prospect status (Pirates right-hander Mitch Keller is the lone Top 100 Prospect to do so thus far) or change organizations.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/top100/

Forrest Whitley(21st) on Top 100

Seth Beer '5th best' 1B
    Abraham Toro '10th best' 3B
    Forrest Whitley '3rd best' RHP

Jose Urquidy & Abraham "Where the **** is" Toro are still prospects?
    Cristian Javier is #6? He's like the beeeessstttt ever! ;)

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/astros/

1. Forrest Whitley
    2. Jose Urquidy
    3. Abraham Toro
    4. Freudis Nova
    5. Bryan Abreu
    6. Cristian Javier
    7. Jeremy Pena
    8. Korey Lee
    9. Hunter Brown
    10. Alex Santos
    11. Jairo Solis
    12. Colin Barber
    13. Brandon Bielak
    14. Enoli Paredes
    15. Jordan Brewer
    16. Grae Kessinger
    17. Tyler Ivey
    18. Luis Garcia
    19. Jose Alberto Rivera
    20. Jojanse Torres
    21. Shawn Dubin
    22. Tyler Brown
    23. Dauri Lorenzo
    24. Luis Santana
    25. Taylor Jones
    26. Zach Daniels
    27. Chas McCormick
    28. Brett Conine
    29. Blake Taylor
    30. Jairo Lopez

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/international/

Top 30 International
    1. Yoelqui Cespedes
    2. Wilman Diaz
    3. Carlos Colmenarez
    4. Armando Cruz
    5. Cristian Hernandez
    6. Pedro Leon
    7. Jesus Galiz
    8. Ricardo Perez
    9. Yiddi Cappe
    10. Shalin Polanco
    11. Daniel Vasquez
    12. Pedro Pineda
    13. Cristian Santana
    14. Danny De Andrade
    15. Jhonny Piron
    16. Jackson Chourio
    17. Victor Acosta
    18. Dyan Jorge
    19. Miguel Bleis
    20. Norge Vera
    21. Diego Velazquez
    22. Angel Genao
    23. Manuel Beltre
    24. Fran Alduey
    25. Ariel Almonte
    26. Abel Bastidas
    27. Fredy LaFlor
    28. Denzer Guzman
    29. Maikol Hernandez
    30. Victor Lizarraga

Snake Diggit and raining threes like this.
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hard to believe there are 9 pitchers better than that Dustin May kid.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Urquidy, Javier, and Taylor. Who are the other 6 suppose to be?

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Jason Hirsh

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Troy Patton

raining threes and Nook like this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pretty funny they have Ty Brown ranked higher than Blake Taylor. Brown is a pure relief prospect just drafted in the 3rd round, while Taylor was a 2nd round pick and is already contributing in the majors with success. That said, I don’t have any major issues with their rankings, especially considering there’s very little new Information.

I still contend Houstons overall farm depth is above average, and that with 2-3 high end position players added (I.e., if Tucker, Beer, and Alvarez we’re still on their list) this farm would be in the Top 15 in the league.

Nook likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kent Emanuel has received an 80-game suspension without pay after testing positive for Dehydrochlormethyltestosterone (DHCMT), a performance-enhancing substance, in violation of Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

[​IMG]

20. Nook

Nook Member

He thought it was that COVID miracle drug Trump was praising.

In all seriousness I hope he got his teaching certificate because that is what he will be doing soon.

raining threes and J.R. like this.