1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Texans Training Camp / Preseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jul 21, 2019.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yep. I don't think anyone thought he would even make the team when camp began now there is talk of being the starting LT. smh

Chilly_Pete likes this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Funny not funny that the Browns drafted better than the Texans. Roderick Johnson was drafted one round after Davenport.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Ignorance is so frequently bliss - why'd you have to go and enlighten me to this fact. I'm already selling shares and dumping buckets of water over the ledge of this drowning ship known as the SS-BO'B

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

SiriusXM NFL observations/interviews...
    Kirwan/Miller

Htown Legend likes this.
  5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I’d take our class over there’s any day of the week.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

For that year. For sure

raining threes likes this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Justin Reid went in the Third Round. 1st round talent. The other 31 teams passed on HIM atleast twice (some 3 times). Player evaluation is not an exact science. Browns could have drafted Watson TWICE. Yes, they got Mayfield the next year (Id rather have Watson.

Fulgore likes this.
  8. raining threes

I'd like to see what Watson could become with a competent OL.

coachbadlee likes this.
  9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Johnson did not play a down for the Browns. He spent his first year with the Browns on IR. The Browns waived him before his second training camp. The Texans essentially had Johnson on their practice squad his second year. Johnson is now entering his third year, same as Davenport.

Are you saying that the Texans developed Johnson into a starting quality NFL OL?

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Lol No. I'm saying that Roderick Johnson is better than Davenport and the Texans picked Davenport over Johnson. This wasnt meant to be a "Browns are a better team than the Texans". Its not even "Browns drafted better than the Texans that year". If not for Foreman, that could have been Texans' best draft in 2017. I just think (and thought) Browns did a better job than the Texans in selecting their late round tackles. I dont think this is about who developed Johnson. Johnson was just the better player. Davenport was a very raw prospect and was probably drafted with Duane Brown in mind. Roderick was more refined and drafted to possibly backup and learn from Joe Thomas. When he got injured the Browns IRd him and then cut him when they signed Greg Robinson. Texans claimed him and then cut him and then picked him up again.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Aaron Wilson & John McClain

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...ns-trade-Jadeveon-Clowney-or-not-14308363.php

Wilson on Kalil: What we're getting from Matt is inconsistent. It's not just his health, it's his play. It's rust. He didn't play last year. He wears a sleeve, got his foot stepped on, he gets dinged easily. They have to give him days off. He's 30 years old, got a lot of wear & tear on his body.

Yesterday we saw him get bull rushed into Deshaun Watson, have a false start and I saw some good moments. My opinion on him is this lowest common denominator. Is he better than Julie'n Davenport? Yes, resounding yes. Do they have a better option on this roster other than shelving the Tytus Howard guard experiment and getting him ready to play? I advocate that move. I would shut it down with Kalil, maybe have him not even make the team and make Tytus Howard the starting LT. You have little time to do this which lends me to think they'll go with the path of least resistance. Kalil at least against the Saints - if healthy - but at some point they'll have to pull the trigger and get Howard ready. I would put him out there & let him learn on the job. It's not ideal but you can't have Kalil out there being inconsistent & getting dinged all the time. I hear the right things from him but I don't know. What we actually see & what he says are two different things. I'm in favor of moving on.

McClain: If they move Howard to tackle, that means they royally screwed up putting him at guard. It's way too late. They should have had him at left tackle all the time. That's why I think they will trade Clowney for a left tackle. I have no idea who that will be. You won't get what he's worth at this time. The other team can't sign him so the other team may be in the same position as the Texans. [...] It's just a bad time to trade him unless you can get a left tackle.

Wilson: One more thing on Clowney, what he wants and what the market would dictate or if the Texans - which are not open to doing an extension right now and didn't negotiate with him this offseason - there's a huge disconnect. He wants to be paid like Mack & Donald. He doesn't play in their category in terms of production or consistency or anything as a pass rusher. Run stopping, you can say he tries to get close to their level. He is elite at stopping the run but he's never been a great pass rusher. If you're Bus Cook, it's a hard argument to fight & Chris Olsen would shut that down.

On the open market, I think the contract for him would be similar to Frank Clark & DeMarcus Lawrence and even those guys are better pass rushers. I think he'll have a great year but it will never be Mack/Donald until he gets 15-20 sacks, which he's not going to.

Budget wise, they saved all that money for Deshaun Watson (McClain: Maybe JJ Watt). How are you gonna have $200M pass rushers on your payroll? I think it all leads to what they should do & would be wise to do: let him play for you this year & treat this as his last year & if you want to be insincere & tag him with no intention of keeping him, do that. Don't just get a 3rd round comp. pick. Play chess not checkers if you're Bill O'Brien. Hold on to this valuable asset. Do not sell cheap.

McClain: People think the Texans have GM-by-committee. They don't. Bill O'Brien is in charge. Anyone who thinks he's not in charge is clueless. He has his personnel staff. They answer to O'Brien & O'Brien answers to Cal McNair. People acting like they're running around rudderless because they don't have a GM, that's not the case. You may not like what they're doing or the trade if they trade Clowney but it's Bill O'Brien's show.

In practice Thursday, Tytus Howard was 2nd team to Kelemete & Roderick Johnson replaced Kalil. What are we to read into that?

Wilson: We asked that question. He said this was just looking at him with the ones. Senio was their starter last year. He came into this year as the guy. Then we heard talk that they were going to replace him with Rankin. He's obviously still way better than Martinas Rankin. I think they're hedging their bets & seeing if Kelemete, if we move on from Kalil & Howard is the LT, could we go that way? That's an option. We were starting to write Kelemete off, I know I had at least. Would you rather have Kelemete than Rankin?

McClain: I think Rankin ought to be on the side of a milk carton. I haven't heard anyone talking about him. (Wilson: Not having that good of a camp, yeah) I don't know if it's mental, physical, lost his confidence but he hasn't stood out at all. I was told when Zach Fulton left KC for Houston, Chiefs thought he was a better center. Thoughts about Fulton?

Wilson: I'm interested in the Fulton option at center and Nick Martin at guard. Would they make that move? Would they consider it? If you want your best five, can you make an argument for: Howard-Martin-Fulton-Scharping-Henderson. It's a big lineup. I think it'd be interesting to see that group & would love to see it in a preseason game. I don't know even know if Nick will be ready for the 3rd preseason game at this rate. I'd like to see that idea floated.

What I saw today, they were seeing if Kelemete, giving him those reps in case they have to move on. I'd take everything with a grain of salt. They said it was a day off for Kalil but we've seen enough injuries from him in the past. He's made of glass & could go down at any moment. It's not like his play is that great. I'm being generous but he's been like a C+. More of a C? You might give him a D. Consistency & health are big factors. Davenport was a F. Maybe he's a D or C. They're marginally better with him at LT.

McClain: Very interesting Thursday Davenport was 2nd team & Roderick Johnson moved up to first team. What do you read into that?

Wilson: He said RJ has had a good camp. I agree with him. He has had a good camp. A young lineman worth developing. He was thought of pretty highly coming out of Florida State & then washed out with the Browns. Davenport, obviously not good. They don't think highly of his play. He didn't even get the chance to compete for the job he held last year. He can't be your LT. I thought he'd at least be the swing tackle.

McClain: Who is the swing tackle?

Wilson: Could he do it? Yeah I guess.

McClain: Julie'n could but do they want him on the team?

Wilson: Feels like they don't have any confidence in him. This line shuffle, some of it's because of health but some of it is because of talent. They seem willing to put anyone in there at any time. The fact Rankin hasn't been moved up is interesting. He's a 3rd round pick. One thing too that comes to mind: you fired your GM. He had a vision for what he thought these guys would do. Obviously the coach makes the decision who plays but in the acquisition of players, a lot of that was his vision. O'Brien signed off but he had the idea & brings it to him 'Hey I want to do this' & then it happens. For Rankin to fall this far out of favor when I thought he had a good offseason, I thought he had gotten in better shape, ... I would give him a chance but they know better. They don't think he should. I would almost be? surprised if he makes the team at this point because he's shown nothing & haven't given him the opportunities.

Something interesting today, they were throwing to the fullback. You have an article on Cullen Gillaspia. What do you think of this guy?

McClain: I think he has good chance to make the team. Let's go back to the other problem area at corner. I still think they need a slot corner. I'll be shocked if they don't get another slot corner, whether it's on the waiver wire or what. Thoughts about the corners?

Wilson: It's a real mixed bag. Encouraged by Bradley Roby. I'm worried about Johnathan Joseph against any kind of speed. He's super vulnerable to any kind of 9-route. It's tough to watch him against Will Fuller. It'll be tough against TY Hilton. I'd have Roby on any speed guy and J-Jo against the slow(er) WR.

Lonnie Johnson, sometimes he makes plays, sometimes he gets beat. He's got a lot to learn. Gotta keep growing up, keep maturing. I feel he has upside. He's a hitter. He's interesting. Haven't seen anything better from Colvin. It's OK but they can do better at slot. He's also very expensive. He's the most expensive corner & DB they have. He's on a 4-year, $34M deal. He has to do better. That ankle injury took far too long to come back from & wasn't playing great before that. They're thin at corner. I think they'll be reluctant to trade a ton more of these picks.

McClain: I don't see them trading a one or a two. Do you agree the safeties are in good hands?

Wilson: I like the safeties. This is the best safety group they've had in awhile. I liked what they had last year when you had Kareem at safety, along with Mathieu & Justin Reid coming in. Gipson fits this team like a glove. He's less about social media. He's not into that like Tyrann Mathieu was obsessed with. He's about ball. He's good at covering TEs. He's big, he's rangy. He'll hit you. He's not small. Mathieu was size deficient. That was a problem against guys like Zach Ertz & Rob Gronkowski. You look at what they can do with two thumpers, it's intriguing. They can have a great group there. I like the safety group. It's deep. So is ILB.

McClain: And they need OLBs, still need corners and a LT. One word, yes or no, will Clowney be traded?

Wilson: No.

McClain: And I'll say yes.

#271 J.R., Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    GradyMcTracy and Frank Drebin like this.
  12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Another former Browns player

#272 Nimo, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Buck Turgidson

Missed everything since Friday...is there a good writeup on the game somewhere?

Not interested in reading arguments about 50-50 chances to win playoff games or the Texans' drafting miscues, just looking for people who stood out, people who sucked, that sort of thing.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

WE'RE JUST MANAGING HIS LOAD BRIAN.
    MATTHEW KALIL IS OUR STARTING LEFT TACKLE BRIAN.

DieHard Rocket likes this.