1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Dec 28, 2018.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

With tweets like these he will shoot up the board and be out of reach for the Texans.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  3. raining threes

Trade up for this guy.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Regarding Dillard, one needs to remember when one sees out-of-context numbers like that that Washington St. is coached by Mike Leach who runs the prototypical "Air Raid" scheme that is all three step drop and get rid of the ball.

Dillard is big and quick and has great feet but I just watched a practice rep from the Senior Bowl where he was basically bull rushed by 250 lb. Montez Sweat. He's a bit of a weight room project. Strength also is an issue on run blocking.

His strengths and weaknesses line up perfectly with the scheme he plays in. If he played in a power running scheme or a "pro style" 5 and 7 step drop pocket passing offense in college he would be a little more exposed.

I wouldn't be upset if that's who they want - he's very smooth, very attentive to technique and just looks like a LT. He seems more like a Gary Kubiak kind of offensive lineman, though. I will be a little perplexed if he goes before the Texans' first round pick. There are several o-linemen that are all around more complete players that should go first from what I can see.

Edit:

I may be wrong about that. I just went to NFL.com and most of the mocks seem to have Dillard going 15-20 so what do I know? I guess adding strength is a whole lot easier to fix than slow feet or short arms.

2nd Edit:

Most mocks had Orlando Brown in the 1st or 2nd prior to the combine last year. Bad showing in strength drills in a couple of days might effect the 'consensus'.

#324 Ottomaton, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    vupac1 and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

I hear you. Also Leach leaves his linemen on an island and they usually go one one one without much help. He held his own. He is no lock but he is as good as the others in the draft. I will be okay with Taylor, Dillard, or even Little. Maybe even Williams, Cajuste, or Edwards in the 2nd.

BTW Orlando Brown turned out just fine.

6. HstnSprtsFan101

I hope we stay away from Little

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

At least in the 1st round. The 2nd and especially the 3rd would be great spots for us to get him.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

He might be gone early too

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I remember earlier he was being mocked to us in most mock drafts. How quickly things have changed.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya Dillard is pretty much a 1st round lock according to the mocks. Expect his stock to rise as he should test very well at the combine.

With Brown, it was an epic bad showing that had him going as the #1 OL prospect to dropping to the 3rd. Was hoping we’d draft him when he was falling but was okay with the Rankin pick at the time, looking like a big miss so far.

raining threes likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Would like dilliard a little more if he was like 6’5 330+

13. raining threes

If you watched the practices at the Sr. Bowl you know Dillard won most of his reps against all DL, including Sweat.

14. raining threes

He easily could be with a year of NFL S&C

15. raining threes

Little is very talented and if he falls to the 2nd some team is going to get very lucky. Just like the Ravens did last year with Orlando Brown.

16. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

He drives through people in run blocking like nobody else I've watched this year in run blocking. He makes contact and by the third step his opponent is backpedaling, no matter how big and strong. It consistently made me say, "wow" watching him.

He seems to get lazy a bunch and stand up or quit and watch the end of the play, but just physically in terms of athleticism + strength + his physical measurements I think he is the most impressive o-lineman in the draft.

17. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Have you actually watched however many hours of o-line drills there were over the five days of practices? Ten hours or whatever?

I've only watched about 30-45 minutes, so no, I haven't watched all his reps during Senior Bowl week.

18. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

What do you find objectionable about him?

19. raining threes

Yes I did and recorded them.

Ottomaton likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member