1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Copa America and Gold Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jun 12, 2019.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still got this! Two finals coming up for US Soccer on Sunday!!

Uprising and DreamShook like this.
  2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Credit to the US for the way the game was played, especially after the break. Had there been no delay, this would've been a bigger win as we were dominating them. They got that break and began to pack the middle of the field. Took a little time for the US to adjust but they did and won relatively convincingly. This might have been Berhalter's best coached game so far.

Pulisic is really impressing me in this tournament and has to be considered the leader for the Golden Ball. The way he's putting pressure on the defense is what this team has needed for so long. It's just a shame that the rest of the mids and forwards aren't reading him and getting to the spaces in the 18. McKinnie played much better though he seemed to disappear for some stretches. Altidore started well but once Jamaica decided to pack the center, he was neutralized. I can't get over Tim Ream & Aaron Long's penchant for screwing around with the ball in the defensive 1/3. Miazga (with the exception of losing his mark on Jamaica's goal) and Reggie Cannon were the 2 best defenders by far. I've played with players like Arriola my whole life. They look fantastic in practice but, come game time, you wonder where that went. He's got a great work rate but a lot of it is Michael Bradley in 2014-esq. Running for the sake of running, with no real purpose. His shot that created the 3rd goal was nicely hit and he does take those well. I think he has ability, I just don't see it from game to game. Zardes...for CHISSAKES MAN...how do you miss that shot that badly? He scores that and it's more likely the team gets another clean sheet.

In the end, the goal of making the final was achieved. I haven't seen any of mexico yet so I don't know what they look like right now. I know they struggled against Haiti...but we struggled against Curaco...so who knows that that means. They're missing a bunch of players and we're missing a bunch of players. Should be a close final on Sunday...which should be a fun day overall with 3 finals.

3. Beavis Stiffler

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Altidore and **** touches. Name a better duo

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

How did Jozy miss that, man?

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You new to the skills of Jozy?

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Jozy yelling at these dudes in Spanish, lol.

Sajan likes this.
  8. leroy

That’s a Jozy staple. His mishits are what he does best, along with his terrible 1st touch (though the one that set him up for the miss was a nice touch).

It was a good first half. The kids are showing they aren’t scared. Defense is playing very well so far. I’m just not crazy about the setup. It’s up to a Bradley to get the ball out of the back alone and it’s forcing too many long balls. McKinney needs to be more active. He’s in no-mans-land too much. I’m liking Reggie Cannon more and more. I’d also like to see Jordan Morris get more involved.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see some cards start coming out early. Altidore deserved one as did the schmuck who kicked the ball at Pulisic.

9. leroy

And just as I say that, the ref allows Guardado to get away with nothing after putting his hands on the throat of McKinnie. That’s a straight red, period.

Sajan likes this.
  10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Mexico dominating

Sajan likes this.
  11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This is terrible soccer. US is passing to empty space that Mexico is easily intercepting.

Sajan likes this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

welp. The US had a lot of chances. Jozy should have finished..

Sajan and desihooper like this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Viva Mexico!

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I don’t understand why Michael Bradley gets starts.

He plays like a concussed James Harden with the turnovers.

Pulisnic is class.

15. conquistador#11

Estadio Azteca was rocking tonight. U.S holding back Pulisic. Can't wait to see him in Chelsea

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Should have finished, but the man of the match for Mexico was whomever saved Morris header it was going in...and the keeper was beaten.

Jozy played well, but should have buried that first half chance....

It was even in the first half, Mexico played much better in the 2nd with high pressure that we should have gone direct to relieve - but waited too long....

Great little back heal pass and finish - tough to lose, but you have to finish your chances.

DD

17. leroy

Sadly, that was Chicago.

Should’ve won the game. Jozy should be ashamed of himself and the Morris header was taken right off the line. Overall, I’m not terribly disappointed. They showed that they’re not going to sit back and play for the counter. They took it to mexico and played generally well. Unfortunately, mexico got they’re chance and we didn’t.

There’s definitely some positives. Fill in some of the holes with John Brooks, Tyler Adams. Deandre Yedlin and bringing along Josh Sargent and Tim Weah...and I’m confident qualification will go better. I still have my doubts about Berhalter at this level. Time will tell.

I will say that, while the ref called the game equally, there is no excuse for keeping the cards in his pocket. Guardado should have been sent off. There is no middle ground here. You put your hands on the throat of a player, you are ejected. There were way too many instances from both sides that deserved yellow cards. I agree with letting them play but that was too much.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Yeah Mexico played better. US played terrible. Both teams were out for blood and the ref let it get out of hand.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member