1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Kent Emanuel was added to the 40 man roster. He is the last player remaining in the system from the 2013 draft (he was a 3rd rounder that year).

3. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Torres is the number one guy on the list to me. He would 100% get taken and be able to stay on the major league roster somewhere.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Velocity carries a premium, but he hasn’t pitched above high A and wasn’t exactly dominant in the AFL. But I agree he would likely be taken and could almost definitely be hidden in a rebuilding team’s bullpen for a year.

Javier is really the only guy I believe would 100% be taken and stick with another team.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Goetzman and Pinales are free agents. Pinales will likely latch on somewhere.

Marteen likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Baseball Prospectus released their Top 10 Astros prospects for 2020:

1. Forrest Whitley
    2. Jose Urquidy
    3. Jeremy Pena
    4. Abraham Toro
    5. Bryan Abreu
    6. Korey Lee
    7. Rogelio Armenteros
    8. Freudis Nova
    9. Cristian Javier
    10. Jairo Solis

would be much obliged if anybody can paste the article. The lead in seems like they are pretty down on the system. Houston’s system has been largely depleted of top position players. They will be banking on high upside guys (Lee, Nova, Pena, Barber, Brewer) to break out in order to prevent the system from falling toward the bottom of the league after Whitley graduates.

awc713 and everyday eddie like this.
  7. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

8. Nook

Nook Member

it is similar to what the Astros have done. However the article is an absolute joke with quotes like “young players are to be analytically indoctrinated.”

There is nothing wrong with newly drafted players learning about analytics and proper training techniques.

Further, minor leaguers do not make enough and will make more under this plan.

typical NY BS... rather than being passive aggressive, beat the Astros on the field or realize you are spoiled and have nearly 30 titles.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. raining threes

Luhnow/Stearns/Elias collaborating.

I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall.

vonwafer234 likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t view this in the same light as the other negative issues Houston is getting heat for. This is just a proposal to make the minor league systems more efficient for the purposes they serve to MLB (developing talent). There’s nothing nefarious about this. If any of the teams who would lose their affiliation are profitable, they likely still would be as independent league franchises.

That said, I don’t think less draftees and less affiliated teams is necessarily a good thing for MLB. There are benefits to having more players in the minors that just what shows up in the majors; often former minor leaguers are great ambassadors for the league and having more players makes the dream of playing professionally a little more realistic to young people (and their parents).

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

13. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Guy mentions he would expect something like a 7 figure fine and forfeit multiple first round picks. Luckily they should be low picks, but man that's going to be rough

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

yeah losing any 1st round picks would be pretty devastating to their ability to maintain the pipeline.

texans1095 likes this.
  15. awc713

awc713 Member

never heard of either guy. Do you like either? Weird that Pena seemingly popped up out of nowhere, unless I’m mistaken

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pena was a 3rd round pick, so not totally out of nowhere. He was hyped as a defensive SS prospect, so that he put up a really good year with the bat (138 and 146 wRC+ across A and high A) really raised his stock. I don’t think he should be ranked that high, but he is certainly in position to be there if he replicates that production in AA.

Solis was a high ceiling pitching prospect who underwent Tommy john surgery and missed 2019. He was getting a lot of hype prior to injury. I’m not sure what to expect but his ceiling makes his #10 ranking reasonable (although for me he is probably a bit lower).

awc713 likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Nivaldo Rodriguez, Enoli Paredes, Taylor Jones, and Cristian Javier were added to the 40 man roster to protect from Rule 5 draft. Bodes well for Jones and Rodriguez.

Of the players not protected, I don’t see any surefire prospects who will be picked, but the following guys I think would interest other teams at some level:

OF Ronnie Dawson
    OF Drew Ferguson
    IF Jonathan Arauz
    RP Riley Ferrell
    RP Ronel Blanco
    RP Andre Scrubb
    RP Colin McKee
    SP Brandon Bailey
    SP Jojanse Torres
    SP Ryan Hartman
    SP Chad Donato
    RP Yohan Ramirez
    RP Carlos Sanabria
    RP Nick Hernandez

#2857 Snake Diggit, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

In addition to the players listed above, here are the others eligible for the Rule 5 draft:

C Jamie Ritchie
    C Lorenzo Quintana
    C Ruben Castro
    C Chuckie Robinson
    C Carlos Canelon
    IF Nick Tanielu
    IF Alex De Goti
    IF Enmanuel Valdez
    IF Miguelangel Sierra
    IF Osvaldo Duarte
    OF Stephen Wrenn
    OF Carmen Benedetti
    OF Bryan De La Cruz
    Pitchers:
    Justin Ferrell
    Ralph Garza
    Brendan McCurry
    Gabriel Valdez
    Humberto Castellanos
    Carson Larue
    Brett Adcock
    Cesar Rosado
    Abdiel Saldana
    Leovanny Rodriguez
    Felipe Tejada

19. vince

vince Member

it will be harder to stockpile talent. The independent leagues will be a great places to showcase talent, youth-wise, and not just aging veterans.

The Sugarland Skeeters seem to be doing quite well as an independent league. Plus, for the fans, you won’t have to worry about losing your favorite (best) player(s) midway through a promising season. The parent team can’t just pluck your talent on a whim, I’d figure bidding wars would erupt for that type of talent.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I suspect Houston liked what they saw from Jones not just with the bat but also in the field as he played 3B and LF. His bat becomes a lot more intriguing if he can man 3B or LF adequately.

raining threes likes this.