1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019/2020 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

barcelona should receive a 5 year transfer ban and be forced to look into their academy (which should be good anyway)

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

just wanna point out that tizz breh got reinstated about the same time westbrook got traded. just sayin...

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Can't tell if you're serious. I will say that I used to admire Barcelona because of tiki taka, La Masia, and that they were so Spanish. Now, they are Messi dependent, their academy is unfruitful, and there are few Spanish players.

Barcelona isn't any different than PSG and City. No one can understand how they're not breaking FFP rules and everyone knows they'll get away with it. AC Milan somehow violated FFP rules and were punished. AC MILAN.

daywalker02, Yung-T and Jontro like this.
  4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I am really happy the way Dutch soccer developed the last couple of years. All we now need is a striker (which is ironic coming from a country who at one time had to play Makaay as a winger because he was the third best striker we had)

daywalker02 and Yung-T like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

aren't barcelona supposed to have the best academy in the galaxy? their original tiki taka team with pep was made up of home grown academy players ya?

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea, but it's been a long while since an academy player played a key role for them. Sergi Roberto maybe the best one these past years, and he isn't elite anyhow.

Jontro likes this.
  7. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

A new Kaka would be great.
    I'm sure Simeone would turn him to a more consistent player.

So he is going to play as a winger?

120 Mil is crazy though, still having a hard adjusting myself to the crazy transfers fees.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They usually played in a 4-4-2 with Griezmann as a second striker, I think João would be most effective as a 10 or in that position (positioned between offensive midfield and the true striker).

The central position makes better use of his creativity and passing, with him being the replacement for Griezmann I think Atletico has the same plans.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Brazzo is utterly incompetent. Nice enough guy, I'm not blaming him, but it all goes back to UH not wanting anyone who could stand up to him, but just yes men. Can't be surprised if they are then unable to deliver.

Also, team doesn't like/respect Kovac at all. Expect it to blow up this season. I'd be shocked if he makes it to the end of the season.

If Bayern had balls, they would go all out and just get Sané and De Ligt, whatever it takes. But I fully expect us to go for consolation prizes.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Aston Villa blowing up with signings.

Jontro likes this.
  11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

@Croatian Sensat Can you tell us anything about Dani Olmo?

Media saying he'll join either Bayern or Tottenham, some ppl on twitter said he's the best player in Croatia's league and a world-class talent that's just under the radar because of the league.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I imagine it being a difficult job for Brazzo, seeing the divide between Hoeneß and Rummenigge regarding the future of this club.
    The targets mentioned by the media seem to indicate him having a good scouting system and knowing how to strengthen the club, but with the aforementioned divide and a coach like Kovac it's madly difficult to convince big players of joining.

Seems Raiola gave Bayern a green light to go after De Ligt, but we backed out due to already having signed Hernandez and Pavard.
    Terrible if true, the early Hernandez deal makes it look like Bayern were desperate to make a statement and signed the next-best guy with a buyout clause they could find.

Even ex-Bayern guys like Lizarazu are saying that Lucas is more of a left back and not undisputed, so it is rather confusing how we made him out to be the captain of our central defense and record signing.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

De Ligt could be world class but Hernandez is at least international class so it is just cherry picking.

De Ligt is a monster with the headers though.

14. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

They're right. Best talent out of our league that I've seen in the last 20-30 years. Modrić wasn't nearly as good as Olmo at age 21. He was great for DInamo in their last season's phenomenal Europe League push (Round of 16) and then capped it off with a fantastic performance for Spain at the U21 Euro, scoring in both the semifinal and final (namedMan of the Match too), proving he can take on opponents at any competition level. Whoever gets him now is getting a superstar in the making.

Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  15. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

As someone who likes Atletico that makes me worried, especially combined with what you said about inconsistency.
    I just dont think he will be good enough to be a straight up replacement for Griezmann.

For the people here who likes scandals and weird stories
    https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2019/07/13/chaos-reigns-in-belgian-football-after-new-ruling/
    In a continuation of this season Belgian scandal now we have a case of a team that was supposed to be relegated as a punishment(KV Mechelen) but even now the case is still in court and no one knows which leauge they'll be playing next year.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Awesome, well let's hope we sign him then. :D

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Guardian writing we just made a new 50mil offer for Odoi, reeks a bit of desperation and fear of him extending with Chelsea otherwise.

18. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

I hope so too, Kovač needs someone in the locker room that fully supports him. Niko is our biggest coaching talent in a while, I really want him to succeed.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Personally, I like him, but unfortunately that is not a sentiment that is shared by most in the team. Or actually, they may not dislike him, but they don't respect him as a coach on that absolute top level.

Croatian Sensation and Yung-T like this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member