1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by celebrevida, Feb 10, 2018.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, they kept talking her up and i was thinking there is no way she can live up to this type of ass kissing. Boy was I wrong. I got goosebumps on her run. She was on another level than everyone else and to nail that last run was incredible.

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

That Russian curler is beautiful! Anastasia Bryzgalova.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Do you guys think there should be more human interest pieces. I think that's why feel these games are less interesting. they aren't telling us about the athletes. I already know very little about these snow activities. If I'm invested in the athletes I can get more invested in the sports.

Chloe Kim was hyped going into the games, but they didn't have an interview or a package explaining her south korean parents, her personality, her rise to power, nothing.

This guy that just won a silver in Luge, first medal ever single luge medal, no one knows who he is. There should have been an interview, a package, something, so we can know what we are looking for during the competition.

The Brother/Sister curling team that lost early in the competition, should have had a segment so we can get to know them.

This gay dude Adam Rippon is an electric personality, they should feature him more when he is figure skating.

The girl who was one of the few women to stick a triple axle in competition, I didn't even know she had that in her arsenal. They only told us before the competition started. She should have had an interview before her comp!

Now that there is such a time difference, and they are replaying the games during the day, there is time to put that stuff in. NBC isn't even trying.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  5. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

OMG Shaun White! So clutch in what's probably the final run of his storied career. USA! USA!

6. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

IIUC, you get three runs in snowboard half pipe. Only top score counts. I think that's wrong. It should be sum of top two of three.

Otherwise you can have a situation where:
    40,95,40 > 94,40,94

Agree?

gatsby likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think it's fine the way it is. 3 chances to put down one magical run. Anyone can win if they are great once.

8. KingCheetah

That was some special kind of exciting.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Hell no

Riding and skiing are about going bit or going home. Thats the culture. Averaging the top 2 incentivizes riders to play it safe. Thats not what its about.

DreamShook likes this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I wish the call of the Gold Medal Shaun White run was better. I know what was at stake, but I won't the commentary to fill me with anticipation. I wan to feel the butterflies in my belly.

11. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

John Shuster, skip of men's curling, is on a roll. He and his team blew out the Koreans in opening match.

Backstory...

He won a surprise bronze in 2006. But finished last in 2010 and next to last in 2014. He was considered washed up and USA curling was actively trying to force him out. They picked replacements for future international competition and left out Shuster.

Shuster however forced his way back in by competing at a high level and beating out his replacements. It's a great story of revenge and redemption.

And he might well achieve the first gold medal in USA curling history. If you have any interest in curling, watch as he pulls off the small upset and wins it all.

DreamShook likes this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

see, that's what I'm talking about. Give me some backstory so I can know what I'm watching..

Should have had an interview.

13. KingCheetah

Most everyone I've read discussing White's run is complementary to the announcers for just shutting up and letting the audience feel the moment. I certainly felt that way - no forced backstory about him overcoming some random adversity.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

NBC has been forcing his backstory all week. He is 1 of 2 maybe 3 athletes NBC won't shut up about. I didn't want them to start talking about his adversity -- NBC has covered that A LOT -- I wanted the commentary to set the mood a little more. Hey, but that is just my preference.

Side Note: I didn't know Shaun White was facing sexual harassment allegations stemming from his 2014 Olympic loss. NBC should have talked about that too.

One of the interviewers, after his gold medal run, said he had a "bad boy" persona. I thought that was strange because White is very protective of his image. The interviewer must have been talking about this Lawsuit.

15. KingCheetah

I thought the sexual harassment situation was from his band, but maybe he has more than one - he caught flack for calling it 'gossip' when it is apparently substantiated.

16. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yeah, it's the same one from his band, but White said that he spiraled out of control because of the 2014 Olympic loss so I just conflated the two.

I read that White confirmed the aggressive sexual text messages he sent to the woman are real.. so.. not a good look for White.

KingCheetah likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

Major choke by US hockey.

DreamShook likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

I just learned that there are "time outs" in curling. US vs the Brits, tied 4-4

eta: I also just learned that the Brits have 2 or 3 smoking hot curlers.

#39 Buck Turgidson, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  20. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Wow Kramer. So sad. He deserved more.
    First gold in speed skating not for the netherlands.