1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Jan 28, 2018.

1. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

How's the battery life of the V30 compared to the G6?

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

a lot better, but I think it's because of the Oreo upgrade, have no problems using it at work and by the time i get out, i'm around 40% since i'm a heavy user at work

jchu14 likes this.
  3. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oneplus 6 is out. Good camera, good screen, unlocked, not fully waterproof.

I will take one to China and test.

4. Roxs-Redemption

Is it still classified as a budget smart phone choice?

ramotadab likes this.
  5. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

No. Its the latest snapdragon processor and maximum effort RAM, which are requirements of a 'flagship', with some budget cuts in things they deem you don't necessarily will miss.

ramotadab likes this.
  6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

8. KingCheetah

I'm betting this thing is 1200+
    ______

ANNOUNCING THE ROG PHONE: CHANGING THE GAME FOR MOBILE

Performance is paramount for competitive gamers who need to stay one step ahead of their opponents, and for everyday players who don’t want hiccups ruining their immersion. Like other flagships, the ROG Phone is based on Qualcomm’s latest Snapdragon 845 SoC, whose eight Kryo CPU cores and Adreno 630 graphics have ample horsepower for the latest games. Rather than taking the standard processor, we worked the company to get a binned version selected specifically for its ability to run at faster frequencies. Exclusive to the ROG Phone, this special chip clocks up to 2.96GHz, nearly 200MHz higher than stock, making it Qualcomm’s fastest-ever mobile platform!

Your phone also needs to last all day, so the Snapdragon 845 aggressively reduces clock speeds during idle periods, and balances workloads between high-performance and power-efficient CPU cores. While these measures dramatically improve battery life, they can also introduce small delays that slow down your game. To prevent interruption, we developed X Mode, which raises the minimum clock speed to keep the CPU on its toes, and confines tasks to the chip’s four fastest cores to ensure maximum performance. You can enable this mode instantly from the Quick Settings menu or configure Game Center to activate it automatically when running your favorite games and any other apps that need a boost.

https://rog.asus.com/articles/smartphones/announcing-the-rog-phone-changing-the-game-for-mobile/

9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

My OG Pixel died today. Thinking about getting an IPhone X.

10. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Was looking for a tablet to replace my 2012 Nexus 7, which is primarily used by my 4 year old son to watch youtube videos. Wanted to find one where it would be powerful enough to play games, but the choices are limited. Android has pretty much given up on the tablet format. Which is a shame, I really liked using my Nexus 7s (2012 and 2013). Only a few chinese companies (Huawei, Lenovo) still trying to keep up with the Ipads and the Samsungs, which are overpriced as always.

Settled on booking the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1. 6" screen, SD636 (which all the mid-mid range phones are using), 3GB RAM and 32GB space. Stock Android (but not Android One) with promise of update to Android Q. 5000mAh. Got it for about usd150. Only thing about it that bugs me a little is it still uses micro USB for charging and not USB C.

ramotadab likes this.
  11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

12. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I never caught on to their phones, and the whole spying thing totally put me off.

But it's crazy to think that ZTE is willing to pay billions in fines and allow a team hand selected by the US government to monitor their compliance in China. That's insane

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ne-maker-zte-commerce-secretary-idUSKCN1J31HN

Chinese phone maker ZTE saved from brink after deal with U.S.

13. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Invisible Fan and ramotadab like this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’ve had one for a few months and really like it. There has not been one thing that I’ve been unhappy with. That said, I’ve only owned iPhones, so I cannot compare them to anything.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

If you've been using nothing but Android/ Google how difficult would it be to switch to an Iphone?

16. BiGGieStuFF

I've had iphones/ipads on the side and the switch isn't that difficult since google apps are on iOS as well. These are the following things I think you will miss.

1) default apps. Unless you are using a google app, the default apps like browser, maps are defaulted to safari and apple maps.

2) Siri - If you're used to Google assistant and have home automation or use it for hands free, you'll probably be heavily impacted here. Siri has hotword activation but if you ask Siri to map you or open a link, it'll do it in Safari or apple maps. Siri can't operate your home automation unless it's homekit but if you have google homes around the house that will help.

3) Options for hands free texting and replying. You can ask Siri to read your texts while driving but with Android you have 3rd party options and Android Auto to assist with hands free messaging and operation while driving. Android is easier to work in the car hands free, unless you have a Carplay head unit.

These are the top 3 things that keep me from switching to Apple. There are a few others but functionality wise Andrroid is superior to iOS.

17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I ended up buying it and enjoying it so far. Pretty clean.

mikol13 likes this.
  18. BiGGieStuFF

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...ed-camera-app-google-assistant-earbud-remote/

With all the Pixel 3 XL leaks who is still interested?

-Wireless Charging
    -Super Selfie front camera
    -KING NOTCH OF ALL NOTCHES

I read somewhere that the price for the XL will be only 749 instead of the high price the pixel xl 2 is.

I'll probably sit this one out but surprised there hasn't been much info about the smaller pixel 3.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

My V30's USB-C port broke so I got a Moto G6. I liked it fine, but I ended up swapping it for an LG G7... still in shipment but I imagine I'll like it. LG phones are just my jam.

20. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Nexus 6P. I want to stay with a Google phone for the updates, but might be too hard to live with the notch.
    If it's something I can't get over or lacks waterproofing, might look at the smaller Pixel 3 or a OnePlus 6T.

fba34 likes this.