1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Jan 28, 2018.

1. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Looks like I'm stuck on the Pixel train for awhile. I'll be interested again if phones return to 16:9 ratio. Not liking the 18:9 at all. Hopefully it's just temporary but it's not looking like it.

What do folks think the next innovative idea for smartphones is going to be?

OmegaSupreme and fba34 like this.
  2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

People are hyping foldable screens and dual screen phones, but eh... seems like a dumb gimmick.

3. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Yeah the 18:9 ratio movement.

Supposed to be some major improvements on GPS on phones this year.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The innovation in phones will be in the cameras. It will be the final nail in the point and shoot camera segment.

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I hope so but it's going to be hard for me to believe they can replace my pocket camera in the next 2 years. I still carry around my rx100 on group outings.

6. RedRedemption

If Samsung could stop over processing their photos, that would be great. That's the only thing I hate about Samsung cameras.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Dual cameras was a short-lived gimmick, nowadays people will find that single cameras can do the same thing with software.

8. RedRedemption

I still want dual cameras like the G6 does with a normal lens and a wide angle lens. But yeah, Pixel 2 has shown you don't need dual cameras to create artificial shallow DOF images.

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

For portrait mode, that's absolutely true. But LG's wide angle lens (and to a lesser extent Huawei's monochrome lens) is still a unique trick that requires the 2nd lens. The 2x zoom thing gets some use out of me as well but its no where near as useful as LG's implementation.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is anyone else having issues with ghosting/ screen retention? It looks like burn in on old TVs and seems to be a problem with quite a few new phones with UHD displays -- it was becoming a big problem on my LG V20, but I found a work around. The Night Screen app is the only fix i've found -- some other 'night mode' type apps do help somewhat i've read, but Night Screen is the only one that has actually solved the problem for my phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.papdt.blackblub&hl=en

Once installed set the slider at around 75% and turn 'auto' off leaving it on all the time -- go into settings and select overlay system mode.

Anyone have any other ghosting fixes they've used?

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Fwiw, eBay has a 1 day only sale, 20% off code PSPRING20 with discount up to $100 off

After hearing about the discount, looked into upgrading my LG G6 to the V30, found one, used. Grade A for $360 after discount and jumped on it. Figure I can sell my G6 for around $300, not to much of a difference to upgrade (better camera, better processor, wireless charging/32-Bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC)

After the S9 announcement, I was set to get the S9+ cause of the camera improvements and the fingerprint scanner in a better spot. But after seeing it in person, Verizon has a demo in store, that 6.2 screen is pretty large, noticeable difference from the 6.0 screen the V30 has. Plus I am not sure if I can give up my wide angle lens with my upcoming trips to New Orleans and Chicago.

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Anybody got a good recommendation for a mid level phone with NFC?

13. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Pixel 2 if you consider that mid range.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

More around $300 for an unlocked phone. Not heavy into phones and their features, just need a ergonomic one.

15. fallenphoenix

I bet you could find a Samsung S7 for pretty cheap nowadays

donkeypunch likes this.
  16. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

The new Nokias with the stock Android One should be good. Wait for the Nokia 6 or Nokia 7plus.

I think my next one will be a mid-range Nokia.

ramotadab likes this.
  17. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Still got an S7, still satisfied. Still a smooth phone

fallenphoenix likes this.
  18. fallenphoenix

yessir. i had one until i got my pixel 2.

TMac'n likes this.
  19. RedRedemption

Look for certified refurbished S7 and S7 edges. Lot of people upgrade and trade in at the two year mark, including myself.

20. RedRedemption

Galaxy S9+ is crazy good, but it also feels a little big. And I came from the S7 Edge.