1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Playoffs for cordcutters

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JuanValdez, Mar 27, 2018.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

There have been threads on this in the past, but I know the technology and landscape keeps changing so I really don't know where things stand today. I'm a cordcutter and have no cable or broadcast tv. I haven't watched any Rockets games this year (which is why you don't really see me posting in GARM anymore. But, given how strong the team is, I know I need to watch the playoffs.

I don't need a free service, though happy to entertain them, I just want something that will reliably allow me to watch all the Rockets' playoff games with giving me any trouble. Do I have to get a cable subscription with Comcast with a bunch of bs channels I don't care about just to get the games? I see League Pass, but blackouts apply. Blackouts are so 1980s. Ballstreams, I understand, is shut down. I've seen that reddit had been linking people to pirate streams. So are those my options -- cable or pirates? If so, this could use some modernizing. That's two parties I'd rather not associate with.

pgabriel and Louka like this.
  2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I'd go with SlingTV, $20 for the basic package and you get TNT/ESPN, Rockets are pretty much guaranteed to be on one of those stations and ABC on the weekends, I highly doubt they'll be a NBA TV game with us being #1 seed.

I haven't had issues with SlingTV in the past, plus get access to ESPN App to replay the game if you want when they are aired on ESPN/ABC. You can stream it on most current video game system, and the obvious Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Android/iPhones

No contract, can cancel beginning of June since NBA Finals will be on ABC

If you want an even cheaper service, check out IPTV service, you can get TV access through your phone/Roku/Fire TV stick for anywhere between $5-8/month with Eternal TV, if you interested in it, I can explain as much as I can, got to be somewhat tech savvy to set it up.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

x2 on Sling TV, the blue/orange package has pretty much guaranteed I've been able to see almost every regular season game in conjunction with LP. I think there have only been one or two ABC televised games that weren't broadcast on ESPN3 at the same time.

JuanValdez likes this.
  4. mario_v

mario_v Member

Sling tv or playstation vue.

JuanValdez likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

hey JuanValdez,

You're asking this question at a very good time for the advancements.

Along with SlingTV, there is now competition from:
    • Hulu Live TV (with a free trial month). Offers Cloud DVR service to watch Live TV later
    • Youtube TV
    • AT&T DirectTV Now service (free trial month)
    I'm going to be getting Hulu Live TV. Looks like Sling and YT are cheapest, but if you already have Hulu (like me), maybe it is the same difference.

@Dave2000 @Os Trigonum ... does Sling have the Cloud DVR service?

Note that much of IPTV (e.g., Kodi add-ons like Eternal TV) is piracy. For example, they are either pirating NBA LP directly (cable TNT/ESPN etc), or pirating the pirates, so to speak.

JuanValdez likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

had to look it up, but sounds like Sling does have some kind of DVR service, but ESPN and other channels don't allow it (this is a 2017 link though):
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/22/15855000/sling-tv-dvr-iphone-ipad-now-available

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

r/nbastreams on Reddit is pretty safe and reliable. The links are heavily moderated for spam and shady links.

8. thejav

thejav Member

ace iptv

Dave2000 likes this.
  9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I have cable and all the channels but I also have youtube TV. You may wanna get that

JuanValdez likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Can you come to my house to install?

Dave2000 likes this.
  11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I have NBA league pass and Sling TV, but there are so many freakin' games on NBATV that I also recommend NBA streams on Reddit.

I have had problems with NBA Streams so I can't ever guarantee it 100%, but you will generally be given enough stream options (especially for the playoffs) that you'll be fine, maybe with some hiccups. Recommended to use a nice PC to stream it; Xbox (browser) or old laptops have a hard time. I connect to my TV with an HDMI.

Sling TV has a very fatal flaw: for some reason you have to choose between a package that includes the ESPN channels, or a package that includes the Fox & NBC sports channels. This will almost never matter for basketball, but I'm a hockey fan and a lot of that is on NBCSports. I will sometimes call and change packages throughout the year as needed.

A lot of NBA games are probably local major network channels, and a pair of rabbit ears should get you those?

#11 napalm06, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    JuanValdez and dmoneybangbang like this.
  12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I can steer you the right direction along with a bunch of Youtube videos :)

Fwiw, I have DirectTV Now, part of the beta testing and got DVR, great so far.

TBH, you can watch it for free with all the streaming TV services have 1 month free trials, just try each one for the next 3 months

#12 Dave2000, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    JuanValdez likes this.
  13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Hulu tv >>>sling tv

The feed on sling tv was always garbage for me, mislabeled channels, terrible interface. None of those issues with Hulu

14. macan

macan Member

come on Julia, it ain't that cold in Houston..why long pants...

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

16. jayfree

jayfree Member

I'm using youtuvetv and you can pause, rewind, record, whatever like a dvr. 7 day free trial and includes TNT, ESPN, ESPN2, TBS, NBATV, NBC, FOX, CBS

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Kodi....
    Or they apps for android...

JuanValdez likes this.
  18. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

I watched NBA streams on Reddit all this season no problem at all.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I'm guessing all Rockets playoff games will be on TNT, ESPN, or ABC. In that case you can get Direct TV Now which includes all those channels. Their is a bundle deal where you can get 1 month free with an Amazon Fire TV box for 35 bucks. You can cancel after the first month.

JuanValdez likes this.
  20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm still helluva confused by the fragmented industry, but I handed out a bunch of cabbage in this thread. I'll start looking at the things named.