1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2018 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Do you really? I mean, it would be progress if you guys finally got it.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You shouldn't say such things about our coach.

houstonstime likes this.
  3. texian

texian Member

“We knew what we needed to do to strengthen our team,” Texans owner Bob McNair said. “We said we wanted to get faster, and we’ve done that."

“We looked at our football team and some of the goals that we had going into the offseason,” general manager Rick Smith said. “We were able to take those guys and they spoke to the intent that we were looking for with respect with trying to get faster.”

Yeah, hate it when the truth busts up your "O'Brien is the author of all Texans evils" narrative.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL Did you even read my response? With quotes from O'Brien WITH A LINK! Lol. O'Brien said it like right before the season ended.

I'm not your "O'Brien is the author of all Texans evil" guy. I'm the "everybody has been average" guy. Coach, GM, and owner. We should be able to attribute good and bad objectively; not just speculating and assuming if it was bad it must have been Rick Smith's decision.

#144 Nimo, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  5. texian

texian Member

Agree, and I'm not particularly optimistic until the owner(s) stop involving themselves in player decisions. Because they don't know anything about football.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'll tell you what I got and what you should get. Bill Obrien is the only coach in the NFL who can coach Watson successfully. Until proven otherwise, Bill Obrien is the man.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, because no other coach has ever had success with Deshaun Watson....

LOL it's crazy the lengths people go to in order to justify BOB as a head coach and play down his history of incompetence.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not so much in justifying BOB. Just don't want to try and fix something that's not broken.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

But something IS broken. Watson being good enough to overcome how terrible BOB is occasionally doesn't mean something isn't broken, it just means you have a bandaid on it.

10. raining threes

So tell me how a HC as terrible as O'Brien could've possibly made the playoffs the two previous years? With BO/Hoyer as his QB's.

McNair obviously knows who made what decisions on acquiring players and poof RS is history.

texian likes this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He could have been a better QB guru and not brought in BO/Hoyer.

It's his job to help build the roster. He doesn't just sit around until training camp.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Easy, RAC's defense made up for how terrible the offense was and the division was super weak. It was really impressive actually that RAC's defense was able to keep the team afloat as BOB made the offense worse every year.

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Racs defense saved the team.. o defense sucks now and offense is good, well thats Watson, who was supposed to need tons of work on arm strength and mechanics, but he got better all on his own... literally nothing good is on BOB and everything bad is. You push a narrative just as much as anyone else, and I'm not saying BOB is gonna turn it right around and be an amazing coach, but if he does I cannot wait to see you eat crow. Which I guarantee you will just talk around like you did when Watson was better than you thought.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The few weeks of Watson being the offense was good, the rest of the season the offense was worse than it has ever been before.....which is right in line with what BOB has done thus far in his career, make offenses worse every season.

As to the defense, when you lose 5 starters in your front 7, and that's the strength of your defense, you are going to struggle. I think it's perfectly understandable why they had the troubles they did last season when you factor in that. Also, RAC and that defense has a history of being very good, so they get the benefit of the doubt. BOB and the offense has never been any good outside a few weeks where Watson was able to make up for BOB's shortcomings, so they don't get the benefit of the doubt.

As to Watson, he did need tons of work when it came to his mechanics....did you not see him try to throw the ball in preseason? He just managed to fix those mechanical issues much more quickly than I thought was possible. He still had at least a couple throws per game where the old issues would pop up and would either throw a pick or nearly throw a pick as a result, but those throws being just a few per game when they were nearly every throw in preseason is amazing improvement. If not for Watson's improvement and ability to make something out of nothing (nothing being the natural outcome of most BOB play calls) then the Texans would have 3 fewer victories on the season.....BOB managed to squander 3 other games despite Watson's heroics by being a terrible coach.

15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Why can't BOB be the reason for Watson's improvement?!?! And The Oline has gotten worse every year (I'm sure you will blame this on BOB instead of Rick Smith, but whatever) and BOB has needed a QB that could escape the rush and still throw the ball. Watson is the first one he has had with that ability. And I'm over arguing the 3 games. If they had gone for it on 4th and not gotten it or something like that you would be singing a different tune. I still put Patriots game squarely on Corey Moore. The fact that you blame BOB for 80 yards in under a minute is ridiculous when you are touting RACs defense at the same time. There were no injuries then defense should have held.

16. texian

texian Member

Effing Zierlein hates us...

He didn't give us any players in the first 2 rounds.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

As expected, Wynn and Hernandez's stock shooting up quick.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why would he be? He wasn't BOB's guy, BOB's guy was Savage. He was spending most of his time with Savage while Watson was working with assistant coaches because at the time he was viewed as a project, not someone who would play this season.

In the Patriots game, if they had trusted Watson to pick up the 4th down, they'd have given the team a chance. Trusting the defense to stop a 4th quarter game winning drive by Tom Brady, the QB who is 2nd all time in 4th quarter comebacks AND game winning drives, was pants on head r****ded. No one other than BOB thought the defense had ANY chance of pulling that off. As to you saying that there were no injuries, the Texans were without their starting NT and down a starting CB and those were just the players that missed the entire game, there could have been more that got banged up during the game to where they were out at the end given how long the week 4 injury report was...I mean JJ Watt missed almost all of the practices the next week due to being hurt.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

All the guys we visited so far according to walterfootball

Houston Texans
    Dane Cruikshank, CB, Arizona (EW)
    Duke Dawson, CB, Florida (SR)
    Marquis Haynes, LB, Ole Miss outside (SR)
    Trayvon Henderson, S, Hawaii (SR)
    Jaryd Jones-Smith, G, Pittsburgh (EW)
    Greg Stroman, CB, Virginia Tech (EW)
    Tre'Quan Smith, WR, Central Florida (SR)
    Brett Toth, OT, Army (EW)
    Fred Warner, LB, BYU (SR)
    Chris Worley, LB, Ohio State (EW)

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Man, I used to side with you on lots of arguments where ppl attacked you rather than the argument itself. But you really do just have zero ability to concede even the slightest tidbit against your narrative. You literally just reached so far as our starting NT and CB being out, then mentioned JJ probably got hurt during the game just to back how it wasn't the defenses fault?? And really, we're gonna put it on the assistants now because you are THAT against giving literally ANYTHING to BOB. I can't imagine what it must be like to argue with you in person, I'm assuming you win them all after people just set their drinks down and walk away? Well congrats, I'll be here later in the season to see how it all works out.

FLASH21 likes this.