1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 17, 2018.

1. How Sweet It Is!

RB was not even remotely a key area of need for this team in terms of mediocre picks. They might have paused on Reid vs Freeman but we will never know. Lamar Miller is better than any of the names drafted later, IMO. And CJ Anderson is a FA if they really want to move on.

#1241 How Sweet It Is!, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

One of the UDFA's, Lavon Coleman, might have a little something but you're right, I think they may have their eye on someone who might get cut.
    I was disappointed they didn't take one from this strong RB class.
    Or they might be confident in Foreman coming back 100%.
    They might yet try a move on another tackle although they say they are happy right now and QB should be something they keep an eye out for as well.
    Their boy Alex McGough was taken at #220 by Seattle - I wonder if that messed up Texans plans. They had him in here for tryouts - if he was there at #222 I think he was their pick.

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I’ll be giving each draft pick a chance even if I didn’t like the pick. Hope we hit on at least 4.

raining threes likes this.
  4. edwardc

edwardc Member

There are a lot of UDFA RB's out there as welll as tight ends seeing how The chron rated there picks at TE really low.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...fted-free-agents-following-the-2018-nfl-draft

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow!!! They passed up on a lot of good players for Akins and Coutee. I really hope they were worth it because it would really, really suck if they weren't. Sorry, still stinging a bit.

red5rocket likes this.
  7. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

so no RB (I guess they go after CJ Anderson)

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

My only problem with the pick. It seems Coutee would have been there in the sixth and they could have gotten Walton, Nelson, Averett, or Lauletta

coachbadlee likes this.
  9. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

I just dont get everyone.. so the Texans pass up on players other years and got robbed by other teams before it got to to their pick again. I like them getting the guy they want (no one knows whos going to be a stud/ or not in this draft (That goes from the 1st rd to the last rd.. ) If thats the guy they wanted then im koo with this pick wherever they made it. He might be the next Wes welker / or a bust ( noone knows)/
    I actually like this picks in this draft- doesnt seem like we went just for need ( We still have time for trades or any OL cuts make in the near future.. I think we are in a good situation and the roster can still be improved with the cap space remaining.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

What are you basing this on?

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

My thought from researching predraft and also analysts have said this was kind of a reach. Of course there is no guarantee, it only "seems" early to me.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-all-32-nfl-teams-2018-nfl-draft-grades

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya just wondering since most pre-draft projections I've seen had him as a 4th or 5th rounder

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

That's great but you do realize a lot of other teams would trade down in situations like this. Look at the Patriots and how many times they traded down. Not saying everything they do is perfect but I've been following them a lot and this is something they do a lot. If the highest available player on their board is rated lower than the draft position; they look to trade down to get more assets. Plus this is not a position that they should have been "we're getting our guy by any means necessary".

Here is the depth chart for the wide receivers:

WR1: Deandre Hopkins
    WR2 (deep threat): Will Fuller V, Sammie Coates
    WR3 (slot): Bruce Ellington, Braxton Miller, Kekee Coutee

Coutee might not even beat out Braxton this year. So we're looking at 3rd string slot receiver. Now compare that to the depth chart of the offensive tackles, tight ends, or RBs. They have like 8 tight ends, and they are all backup level. All of the tackles are developmental and unexperienced. And none of the tight ends are really good at blocking. I hope Deshaun Watson's wheels are fully repaired, he's going to need them. And speaking of which, a more competent QB like Lauletta would have also been nice at this spot.

All that said, I like Kekee. I hope he works his butt off and at least beats out whoever for the KR position and gives Braxton a run for his money.

coachbadlee likes this.
  16. How Sweet It Is!

LOL Chad Reuter will smoke anyone's pole.

17. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

I really think they already gave up on Braxton (Wont be suprised if they cut him)

raining threes and Mr.Scarface like this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Coutee would not have been there in the 6th round. Geez.......

raining threes likes this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL......Coates will be lucky to make the team.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Draft grades are like assholes, everyone has one. Doesn't mean one is better than another. People are GUESSING. They have NO CLUE how these players will pan out. Go back and look at the history of draft grades........u will see HOW WRONG people are.