1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 17, 2018.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The Texans' first draft post Rick Smith, Gaines will certainly have his work cut out for him with a lot of holes and no premium picks to fill them. He will however have three 3rd rounders in 2018 (likely) along with a full arsenal of 2019 picks plus an extra 2nd rounder to maneuver around if possible.

Current 2018 Picks
    Round 3
    Round 3 (via Seattle)
    Round 3 Compensatory (A.J. Bouye)
    Round 4
    Round 6
    Round 6 Compensatory (John Simon)
    Round 6 Compensatory (Quintin Demps)

Round 7
    Round 7 Compensatory (Don Jones/Oday Aboushi)

Will try to post draft news as it comes out but there a few early notes that seemingly bode well for the Texans.

- This is a top heavy QB draft with as many as 7 possibly going before our first pick.
    - A record number of early entrants have declared.
    - This is also a deep draft for defensive backs.

Htownballer38 and Rashmon like this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://walterfootball.com/eastwest2018interviews4.php

#2 zeeshan2, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Finally an actual draft thread.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I can't keep up with all the players that are good, worth considering deep into the draft.

They have obvious needs at the OL, then every level of the defense potentially.

No use crying over spilled milk, but if they both had Watson (as they do), and their first this year (#4), they'd be sitting pretty to grab a bunch of picks from someone in a trade. Oh well!

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Texans also met with Army tackle Brett Toth.

My 5 minute scouting report on McGloster (from watching 2 whole quarters of Syracuse football)-

Big boy, average athlete, slightly plodding, no upper body strength... kind of thin above the waist. Good effort. Ok technique-wise. Every snap I saw was out of a 2 point stance. Puts effort into keeping low and moving his feet. OK pass blocker - I can see the potential there. But I didn't see any "mean" at all. Didn't see him move anybody off their spot, even on goal line run blocking. Seems like a weight room/nutrition project with limited upside. Saw 38.5" arm length listed somewhere, which is outstanding if true, but doesn't really use his arms at all. They just kind of hang in against his body like little T. Rex arms, which I assume is because he's not strong enough to do anything if he extends them at all. It looks like he's been really durable and he has great height/weight and arm length - first impression is he looks like kind of a bargain basement version of Julien Davenport to me, without the upside athleticism.

FLASH21 likes this.
  8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Sucks that the year I'm planning on going to the draft, we don't have a 1st rd pick... But I'll still be there with bail money to ruffle some Cowboy feathers...

9. gucci888

One guy I like possibly in 3rd is Deshon Elliott, Safety, Texas. Had a breakout Junior season and was a first team All American. Big physical Safety at 6-2, 210 lbs. that can cover and make plays at the line. Hal can be a serviceable Free Safety and still don't see them moving KJax just yet and starting 2 brand new CBs. Elliott is a versatile player that I think is sorely needed in the secondary. He definitely needs some refinement but think his physicality could provide an immediate impact.

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Like him also.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just started watching player videos but I'm a big fan of Isaiah Wynn. He's got the right demeanor to be a lineman. He seems to really relish making 2nd or 3rd contact with his man and playing through the whistle. Quick feet, too.

Might slip to the third, because he's short, and is going to have to move inside. I'm happy they'll get a chance to be up close and personal with him.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. texian

texian Member

This was the original plan for the North QBs...

North Team

Coaching staff: Denver Broncos

Quarterbacks
    Josh Allen, Wyoming
    Luke Falk, Washington State
    Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
    Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State​

Bill O'Brien still picking from the leftovers pile at QB. :D

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Ellliot is a monster. If he runs a great 40 then No way he's there in round 3.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. showa13

showa13 Member

That’s his only concern imo. If he runs an average 40 he won’t make it to the 3rd round. But like someone else said this draft is HEAVY on good DB prospects.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Nimo

Nimo Member

I can't even pay attention to the draft right now. Aside from the fact it is so hard to figure out who will be available in the 3rd round and later, it is also hard to figure out what the team will do in the draft without knowing what they do in FA.

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Even though we don’t have any picks in the first two rounds we still have 9 picks and that gives us a lot of chances to improve the roster. And if there is someone they like earlier maybe they trade up. It will be interesting to see if Gaine can do what we brought him here to do and fill out the back end of the roster.

And I know it’s always best to draft by best player available rather than try and fill holes but I really hope we invest multiple picks on the OL. I would like at least three of the picks be lineman.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

North team has players from Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, New Mexico, and Arizona.

South team has players from Virginia, Idaho, Indiana, Massachusetts, and South Dakota.

Maybe this format isn't the best idea. East/West might be better.

19. gucci888

Shrine Bowl Practice Notes

Those Who Impressed

Dane Cruikshank/CB/Arizona: Cruikshank was mentioned in our notes section yesterday, and he took it to another level this afternoon. He stood out in drills, displaying the quickest backpedal and hip turn of any defensive back and the most explosive plant and drive to the ball. I’m still a little concerned about his ability to make plays with his back to the ball, but Cruikshank is a tall, athletic, good-looking corner who could be selected in the draft much earlier than anyone is presently predicting.

Godwin Igwebuike/S/Northwestern: Igwebuike came to life Wednesday with his best practice of the week. He displayed solid ball skills during one-on-one drills and made a great play to break up a pass in deep centerfield during the full scrimmage. Highly rated coming into his senior season, Igwebuike struggled with nagging injuries this past season and his play understandably suffered. If he returns to form and consistently plays like he did during his final padded practice at the Shrine Game, expect Iqwebuike to crack a starting lineup in the NFL.

Salesi Uhatafe/G/Utah: Uhatafe is not the nimblest lineman, rather he’s a powerful mauler who held his own most of the time today. He blocks with solid fundamentals, stays square and easily holds the point. He’s a Pittsburgh Steelers-type blocker with the ability to drive opponents off the line of scrimmage on running downs or hold the point in pass protection.

Linden Stephens/CB/Cincinnati: Stephens struggled early in the week but really turned it on the past two days and was the best corner on the West after Cruikshank. He was quick transitioning off the line, ran downfield with opponents and did a good job making plays with his back to the ball.

Notes:

* Poona Ford continued to dominate opponents all afternoon. His first step caught opponents off guard, and then Ford was able to finish the deal with his great power. He has size and scheme limitations but will have a place at the next level.

* Another defensive lineman who showed great power all week was Bilal Nichols of Delaware. He was bull rushing blockers off the line of scrimmage each day and collapsed the pocket on occasion. Nichols needs to use his hands better to finish plays.

* Josh Kalu of Nebraska had his moments at cornerback and has looked much better the past three days then he did at any point in his senior season when he lined up at safety.

mikol13 likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

That’s what this thread is for my friend. People will say or talk about potential player who could be available and just go from there.

Nimo likes this.