1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Nov 13, 2015.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's always good to get a point in Azteca. It's such a rare occasion that it can really only be seen as a positive result for us.

That said...I wanted 3. I didn't like that they went defensive so early. Felt like we could've held possession better. Also, Beasley cannot be on this team next year. He was slaughtered on the goal. Not only is he still too small/weak/frail, but now he's old and not fast enough. The goal wasn't 100% on him though. Cameron should've recognized that they had numbers and stepped up to cut Vela off. Guzan couldn't do anything about that one. Guzan was solid enough but I'm still more comfortable with Howard in there. I'm hoping Horvath gets a shot if we can clinch early.

The goal was a thing of beauty. I'm not sure where that Bradley has been, but it was simply world class. Unfortunately, Acosta was nowhere for large portions of the game. Hardly heard his name called, which isn't good for a central mid.

I think that Mexico did a good job maintaining Pulisic. They were forcing him deeper into the defensive 1/3 than he preferred to be. When he got forward, he was dangerous. If he could have his last opportunity again, he'd hit that back post. The keeper was leaning near as Pulisic was coming across the field. The team, overall, is much more dangerous with Nagbe on the field.

I'll take the point but I would've liked 2 more.

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A point in Azteca is a great result and I agree with everything @leroy said above. There has to be a solution other than Beasley and it needs to be found fast.

It's a shame that Pulisic's late shot went wide and that Bradley hit the post because three points would've been a godsend.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'm just excited that the greatest American soccer player ever is only 18 years old.

DaDakota, MadMax and rockbox like this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

This is not true at all with this generation of Mexican players. Visitors getting results in Azteca has become expected.

You could have had 3 if USA attempted to play. But you could have also gotten smoked. For example, Mexico had only 1 clear counter where USA was caught out and they scored. It's a risky that Arena was not willing to take and since he got his precious point maybe he was right.
    As I mentioned, it's not much of an accomplishment against this generation of Mexican players. Many reasons why but I won't explain unless you want me to.

5. leroy

There are many solutions other than Beasley. Arena just needs to quit calling him in. He's not on this level any more...and it's arguable if he should even be getting the minutes he does with the Dynamo. There was no logical reason to play him...let alone a full 90...other than to get him this meaningless record of being the 1st USMNT player to play in 5 WCQ cycles.

6. leroy

Good job by Honduras beating Panama. They hadn't been playing well in this round. The win moves them past Panama into 4th and keeps us in 3rd all alone. Also, the 2 Honduras goals were scored by our own Quioto and Elis.

7. prohibido

prohibido Member

What planet are you living on?

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Lols. @leroy check the score again, buddy. Panama and Honduras played to a tie.

9. leroy

My bad. The last time I looked at it, Honduras was winning. Didn't bother to check again before making that post. Still...works out well for the US and both goals were scored by Dynamo players...

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Ghana friendly: I don't watch MLS, but I like this Dom Dwyer guy. Didn't know he was married to Sydney Leroux.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Solid effort by the kids. Ghana has been harpooned. Both goals well placed.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That's not World Cup qualifying. :p

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yeah, I know. I didn't want to make another thread for a single match.

SwoLy-D likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

September just around the corner.

DD

15. leroy

Since there's nothing else going on that could possibly grab people's attention...

US vs. Costa Rica in 1 hour (kick at approx 6 pm central).

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Thar was a pretty great national anthem.

17. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Terrible defending by Ream. He finally gives up a goal after getting burned multiple times. Cameron has to do more (as the better player) to communicate and narrow the gap between the CBs.

18. DaDakota

HORRIBLE COWARDLY play by the USA, too many back passes, no one playing forward off the ball in space to make that. Costa Rica is beating our ass with hustle.

Crap play so far - Howard - terrible kick led to their goal, Ream - WTF man you are CB, why are you leaving that gap? And our passing has been god awful.

Looks like we thought we could cruise, and they are kicking our ass.

2nd half needs to be much more forward thinking.

DD

JayGoogle likes this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

welp.. that was bad. Ream may not get out of the locker room; he looks shell-shocked. nobody being aggressive defensively.. hit someone.

Howard should have had that save.

20. DaDakota

And we should have had a PK.

DD