1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 12, 2017.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's unlikely to happen, but I personally would like a rule that forces every pitcher to face 3 batters. If they are unable to do so, then they are ineligible for multiple games, while still costing a roster spot unless moved to the DL.

I absolutely loathe having to see 3-4 pitchers in 2 innings.

ApolloRLB and panamamyers like this.
  2. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

This and making it illegal for any other fielder to visit the mound. I would sign off on both of those immediately. Figure out your signs between innings. Get the game plan together between innings. You are a professional. No catcher visits to the mound, period. I'm about 90% sure this rule will be in place within the next decade.

sealclubber1016 likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We're certainly on the same page with this. During the 162 the middle relief innings can get insufferable.

Pitching change
    ball one
    foul ball
    stare in, shake off
    batter steps out
    pitcher steps off
    mound visit
    throw to first
    foul ball
    stare in, shake off (after a recent f**king mound visit)
    batter steps out
    another long stare in
    pitcher step off
    batter finally works a thrilling walk
    pitching change

4. Buck Turgidson

These are terrible, these ideas.

Pitch clock, hell yeah. Stop the batters from ****ing around with their gloves between every single pitch. Toe the mound, get in the box, and go. I'm ok with limiting pitching changes somehow also.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised MLB hasn't discussed electronic devices to let catcher communicate pitches. It is getting easier and easier with technology to steal and decode signs.

pw1993 likes this.
  6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I’d go with facing 2 batter OR finish an inning.

ApolloRLB likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Perfect. Maybe unless the pitcher in question allows 3+? baserunners?

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They could remove him once he faced two batters.

9. Buck Turgidson

Well sure. Semantics!

I read that as 2 outs.

10. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

You are going to hate baseball in the next five to seven years then.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Guys, could we please move the proposed rule changes discussion to another thread? The Minor League thread is my favorite on ClutchFans, so there's been a lot of disappointment for me lately when I've clicked on this thread.

12. Buck Turgidson

Doubtful.

13. Hemo_jr

Hemo_jr Member

14. texans1095

texans1095 Member

MLB.com released their top 10 RHP prospects today. Whitley is #2 on the list behind Ohtani. Here’s their scouting report on him.

“The Astros rated Whitley higher than any high school pitcher in the 2016 Draft and got him at No. 17 overall -- the sixth one selected -- for a $3,148,000 bonus. Their assessment looks spot on so far, as no Minor Leaguer who worked as many as his 92 1/3 innings in 2017 exceeded his strikeout rate of 13.9 per nine innings. He posted a 1.84 ERA in four August outings in Double-A, joining Zack Greinke, Chad Billingsley, Clayton Kershaw and Dylan Bundy as the only prep first-round arms this century to advance to that level in their first full pro season.

Whitley can miss bats with all four of his pitches. His best is his fastball, a nasty combination of velocity (92-97 mph), cutting and running action plus steep downhill plane. After doing a terrific job as a high school senior of trimming what had been a soft body, he has room to add more strength and could throw harder once he does.

Whitley backs up his heater with a hard 12-to-6 curveball, a power slider that flashes late bite and a fading changeup that he already trusts. Though he has good body control for a young pitcher with a huge frame, Houston had him pitch exclusively out of the stretch at times last season to have him focus on repeating his delivery. He already does a nice job of throwing strikes and should become an ace if he can refine his command.”

No Worries likes this.
  15. dwood21

dwood21 Member

A couple of guys that are under the radar and are in potentially make or break years are Riley Farrell and Patrick Sandoval. Both have dealt with injuries and underwhelming performances, but still have so much potential.

Farrell could still be our closer of the future if he can get command of his pitches.

Sandoval has potential to be a #2 or #3 starter or maybe even a LOOGY out of the pen.

Hopefully at least one of these two can start to put it all together this year.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Ferrell may have put it together already. He was completely wiping people out over the second half of last season.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=621068#/gamelogs/R/pitching/2017/MINORS

Aside from one bad outing, he was almost untouchable from July 3rd onward. In August and September he only allowed 4 base runners in 12 innings with 19 K's

crose and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Just looking at our middle infielders, I wonder if Jack Mayfield could sneak his way into the mix this season. He was rule 5 unprotected and survived, so obviously he's not thought of very highly. But he plays 2B/SS/3B, and he's been pretty productive at every level.

A good year at Fresno, and I could see him making his way onto the 40 and being a candidate for the 2019 squad.

dwood21 likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Agree about Sandoval. Other Pitchers not in the mlb.com top 30 I like:

Akeem Bostick: still just 22 and held his own in AA. 6’6” and has velocity. Big upside.
    Yoanys Quiala: pretty low ceiling but was effective at every level so far.
    Kit Scheetz: lefty came out of nowhere. Will be pushed aggressively.
    Brandon Bailey: acquired from the A’s, he’s a really good prospect.
    Angel Macuare: DSL bonus kid who has somehow been forgotten. Will have to wait until he gets stateside to get recognized but I like him.

Then a gang of recent draftees who are under the radar:
    Brandon Bielek
    Matt Ruppenthal
    Tyler Ivey
    Kyle Serrano
    Peter Solomon
    Chad Donato

And a group of international arms that are all much higher bust potential but also have high ceilings:
    Juan Robles
    Ronel Blanco
    Yohan Ramirez
    Gabriel Valdez

Carlos Sierra, Nick Hernandez, Sean Stutzman, Ed Sandoval, and Jesus Balaguer are pure reliever prospects who actually have a shot at reaching the majors.

Nook likes this.
  19. dwood21

dwood21 Member

I'm excited to see what Solomon and Bielak in particular can do this year. Bielak had a very solid debut and Solomon was getting hyped as one of the steals of the draft if I remember correctly.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Between the 6 guys I listed in that group plus Corbin Martin and Bukauskas, that QC rotation should be dominant.

Hemo_jr likes this.