1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 12, 2017.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Seth Beer went 2-4 and hit a solo homer, his first in the Carolina League, in Buies Creek's 6-4 win on Frederick.

He now has 8 homers in his pro career and 30 in this calendar year.

#2381 tellitlikeitis, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  2. HTown2017Champs

DFA Rodgers. Was never a real big fan of his, and he gave up 4 ER in 4 innings, and the damage could have been worse as he put two men on with no outs in the 4th, escaped the inning after two failed bunt attempts and a fly out. Make room on the 40-man, it's that time of the year again.
    More exciting news: Kyle Tucker taken out of the game. I'm calling it now: Marisnick to the DL, Tucker called up again.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

No one in Quad Cities starting lineup tonight has a batting average over .234. Buies Creek is starting 4 players tonight hitting <.200. The DSL team started 5 players today hitting <.200, and had only 1 player in their lineup hitting over .250. I know batting average isn’t a tell-all stat, but still. Ouch.

Down in Tri-City, OF Carlos Machado enters tonight’s game hitting .353/.371/.529 in August. He started off tonight with a double.

2B Ronald Urdaneta has caught fire in the GCL, his ops is up to .892.

Corbin Martin pitching for Corpus tonight. Trent Thornton going for Fresno.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Ronnie Dawson with another HR for Corpus tonight, his 3rd in 10 AA games.

crose likes this.
  5. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Corbin Martin with 8 Ks over 6 IP to get the win

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jayson Schroeder allowed a run on a sac fly, a single, walked two, and struck out five in the GCL today.

Progs, Nook, Hemo_jr and 3 others like this.
  7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Yordan Alvarez just hit a solo home run for Fresno.

He now has seven in AAA and 19 homers on the season.

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

A few standout performances on offense in Tri-City's 7-3 win in Vermont...

- Enmanuel Valdez went 2-4 with two runs scored and led off the game with a homer (6).
    - Alex McKenna went 4-5 with a couple of doubles; one of them resulted in an RBI. McKenna is now slashing .328/.423/.534 on the season.
    - Ramiro Rodriguez went 2-3 with an RBI single and a two-run triple.

9. HstnSprtsFan101

Almost his turn for a cup of tea

10. HTown2017Champs

Doubt we see him until at least September, if not next year. He still isn't quite fully locked into AAA just yet. And while I know he's really loved by many, but he just strikes me as very likely to end up as an all or nothing guy. But we'll see.

Also, what's the chance that Rodgers is DFA'd to make room on the 40 man? I support that move.

11. Nook

Nook Member

The only thing that has ever slowed Alvarez down was missing time coming over from Cuba and injuries. He is barely 21 and has hit at every level he has played. His OPS is creeping up in AAA and would already be higher if his BABIP wasn’t low.

I don’t see how he is an all or nothing type player. He is already the best offensive player in the system with a real natural aptitude for hitting. He is a well above average athlete that is fast and has been a good defensive outfielder in the minors.

Hell I have less questions about Alvarez’ bat than I do about Tucker. I’ve seen a lot of Alvarez and hitting is natural for him. He has a very solid approach. Tucker on the other hand has physical ability but doesn’t seem to have the natural comfort that Yordan does.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  12. HTown2017Champs

I don't know, guys who are "big and strong" these days usually end up like that. If they have a ton of raw, natural power they're usually enticed to just swing swing swing. That's how the game is today. Alvarez has a decent number of K's, but his walk rate is actually pretty good too. I'm open to making one last push at Realmuto this winter and centering the package around either Tucker or Alvarez. You guys who oppose this are a bunch of prospect huggers who fail to acknowledge the large hole we have at C. Don't be fooled by Stassi's decent AVG, take out his red hot May and it's gotta be well below 200.

Progs likes this.
  13. Progs

Progs Member

it's crazy how many few hitters are hitting better than .300 in the Majors this year. The shifts are game changers along with the hard throwers in today's game. Yeah, but as far as Kyle Tucker goes I would package him for JT, the best catcher in MLB.

14. Buck Turgidson

I do not understand this at all.

15. HTown2017Champs

More on JT: Jeter recently said that this offseason, he will try and work an extension with him, but if that isn't successful, then they will look to trade him. I'm on board with a Tucker for Realmuto trade, he's the best catcher in the game today, and would fill a huge hole on our team.

16. HTown2017Champs

Very impressed with Kent Emanuel. He definitely should be a starter, the Emanuel as a Reliever experiment was a clear fail. He's 5-1 with a sub-2 ERA in his AAA starts I beleive. If Cionel Perez is destined to stay in the pen (I hope not), might he be a LHSP possibility?
    Dean Deetz has also been outstanding in relief. Hurling the strikeouts and allowed only 2 ER in 21.1 IP.

17. htownbball

htownbball Member

Whitley is back in action!

rockets1995 and everyday eddie like this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Only threw 2 innings. Hope that was the plan.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This Bryan Abreu cat might be special. Straight dominating A ball: 26.2 IP, 47 k, 4 bb, 1 er.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  20. HTown2017Champs

If I had to guess, they want to ease him back into action. Hopefully no further injury.