1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 12, 2017.

1. prospecthugger

They outrighted Stassi last year, which is a pretty good sign they didn't really like him. It wasn't until he changed up his swing that he became valuable to the Astros. You can justify pretty much every move the Astros have made rather than call Stubbs up, but if they really liked him, they could have made room on the roster. I doubt they're that concerned about options or service time for a 25 year old catcher. What exactly makes you think that they are so high on him?

Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. prospecthugger

Ernesto Jaquez did what he does in the GCL today. 5IP 1H (leadoff single to a rehabbing A-baller) 0R 0BB 1HBP 7K

Macuare was okay: 3IP 2H 3R 1ER 2BB 4K. He appears to still be a bit of a project, but is still sporting a decent K rate.

Torres went 5IP 5H 3R 3ER 1BB 6K. He's yet to yield multiple walks in a game, giving him a nice 38:5 K:BB ratio in 32.1 IP this year, but he's far too hittable for a now 23 year old with his reported stuff in the DSL.

Another rookie baller who seems to go under the radar is Alfredi Jiminez. He signed for the same 50K bonus Manny Ramirez got last year as a fellow 17 year old, but the Astros held him out of competition until this season. He gave up 3 ER his first game, but has allowed just 1 ER since (and none since June 19). He's right behind Jaquez, ranking 3rd in the DSL in FIP, despite being a year younger. I have no idea what he throws or anything, but he's had as impressive of a season as anyone.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  3. Screaming Fist

Stassi also worked his ass off to develop his pitch framing skills and he's been the best at framing of any catcher in the league this season. It is surprising to me how heavily framing outweighs blocking and catching in BPro's catcher metrics but apparently there is a ton of value in that skill, even with teams doing a better job of teaching it and weeding out the really shitty framing catchers.

4. Screaming Fist

I hope the Astros pay Oz well because he seems like a pretty big competitive advantage for their organization.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I remember Max Stassi getting hit in the head with a pitch. I believe he was a Rookie, coming in a trade with the A's.
    I admire Max Stassi hard work, and being fearless in playing this game and being a catcher is hard work crouching back and forth, getting hit by foul balls, remembering gameplan for each batter, pitch framing, throwing out runners, blocking balls in the dirt. Max Stassi is my biggest surprise this year along with Bregman.

7. Buck Turgidson

You need to listen to different internet scouts, and you need to ask them why their lists suck/differentiate so much. No bias at all.

If you watched those 2 guys and thought that they were remotely close to being comparable players....well, I'm sorry.

Nook likes this.
  8. prospecthugger

Okay, can I have a list of Buck-approved prospect evaluators to avoid confusion in the future?

Tomstro likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

I approve nothing. But if you are talking to a guy that said Bregman and Maverick were even remotely galaxy-close, talent-wise, you should talk to different guys. That's all I'm saying.

10. prospecthugger

That's really easy to say in 2018. July 31st 2015 it wasn't. You can pretend you never really liked Phillips, and you may even be telling the truth, but 3 major prospect publications had Phillips in their top 40 prospects at a time when Bregman was just entering pro ball.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

well, while other people are hung up on how highly regarded Brett Phillips was when he was still in the system, here's this:

No Worries likes this.
  12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Austin Hansen allowed a hit and struck out the side in each of his two innings.

13. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Bregman was clearly a superior prospect to Phillips.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They drafted him and haven't traded him. I have zero reason to think they don't like him. I don't think they see a star, or they wouldn't worry about options. Stassi being DFA shows how important it is. You want to maintain control even over role players.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't feel anyone was that high on Bregman when we drafted him. There were people that saw him as a 2nd baseman and not having much power. A higher floor, lower ceiling kind of pick.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Ronnie Dawson just hit a solo homer for Corpus; it's his second in the Texas League and 12th home run on the season.

Ryan Hartman: 5 IP, 4 H, ER, 6 K; the one run came on a home run. In 102.1 innings this season, Hartman has walked 24 and struck out 120.

#2336 tellitlikeitis, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. HTown2017Champs

Buddy Boshers has been claimed off the waivers by the Pirates. Clears a spot on the 40-man Have to think this is being done ahead of another move, one of the AAA pitchers likely gets added to the 40-man. Cy Sneed was lit up like a Christmas tree, 4 hits, 1 HR, 7 runs (all earned), 3BB, 0K in 1.1 innings. My guess is Josh James gets called up, or if not, Armenteros.

18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Tri-City's bullpen mowed down Connecticut tonight in their 5-2 win.

Austin Hansen: 2 IP, H, 6 K
    R.J. Freure: 3 IP, 4 K
    J.P. France: IP, H, 3 K

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Kyle Tucker just hit a two-run homer (16) for Fresno.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  20. HTown2017Champs

Ties the game at 8 apiece. Cy Sneed is now off the hook. Glad to see them fight back after an early 7-3 deficit.