1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2018] Apple Event: September 12

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You read a lot into my response. Are you a woman?

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Have you used Android devices before? Those phones slow down after a year. Then completely lose support after 2. Apple supports phones twice as long as Android manufacturers do. How is that a slight against Apple. Your first point is actually a pro for Apple and a negative for Android.

Lightning vs USB-C. Lightning came first. Macbooks never had lightning connectors. but ok this is a con for apple.

What are you talking about? Which mass market phone had a fingerprint reader prior to Apple? Which one had facial recognition?

You sound like a complete apple hater.

tinman likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the last android phone i got extremely hot for no reason, i had to pop out the battery cause i thought the thing would explode
    was tired of all the random variations and battery issues

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Need to see how iOS 12 works on my iPhone 6 in terms of battery life. If it still sucks, I *may* go for the Xs. Not a fan of the Max/Plus sizes. Too big in form factor for mobility for my tastes. There is a threshold in that area in my opinion. But clearly people love the phablets.

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

Please do not turn this into a Android vs. Apple thread.
    Those fanboys are worse than the trolls in D&D.

This is to discuss what apple has released this year..whether it's worth upgrading..what everyone thinks of the new feature etc.
    No one gives a crap if Android came out with it 5 years ago.

Deuce likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sega vs Nintendo

7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I'm writing this on my S3 Galaxy from 2013 when I bought it. Slow down after a year, it don't affect me. Lose support after 2 years, I get updates every now and then, but Kroger app is killing the S3. My phone's only problem are 1 battery replacement a few years ago and my screen is pixelated. I never had a crack screen on this and my company's S6 Edge (2 years ago). If you treat your phone with care, it will last long time. I was thinking about flipping this new IPhone.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I bet if you used a phablet for a month, you couldn't go back to a "candy bar" (my term) phone.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Maybe a silly question but have you replaced the battery? Basically made my 6 like a brand new phone after I replaced it although it’s starting to revert back.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

For some, that might be the case. I liked my iPhone 5 and at the time wondered about the size increase on iPhone 6. But now that I have the 6, I feel the size is right. I will say, I DO have an iPad Mini2. So on the couch I enjoy that form factor. In fact like like the iPad Mini form factor better than the iPad size. Sad it is likely they will kill the iPad Mini line.

BUT, taking a phone "on the go" I wouldn't want a huge screen (Max/plus). I want something that is easy to put in a pocket. Like I said there is a threshold. It looks like the iPhone Xs isn't that much bigger physically than the 6, so that is good for my purposes should I choose to upgrade.

Perhaps, if I didn't have an iPad Mini for doing second screening....I might be more apt to looking at a bigger phone. Tough to say.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

I had the 3GS, 4, and the 5. All I felt were too narrow to text. I have large hands/long fingers.

I debated between 6 and 6+ and got the 6+. Used it for 3 years. Now I use it to fly the drone.

When the X came out, I decided to try a phone the size of the 6/7/8 but with a longer screen. Less scrolling, more text visible at once.
    I am tempted to go back to the plus size and get the X S mega max.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm on a Note 9, but with that said (while the phone is awesome), it certainly will not hold its value like Apple products do. I just sold a Apple Gen 4 iPad for a little under a $100, and might have even got $125 if I waited (that thing is ancient and won't even run the newer apps). Good luck doing that with an Android..

I tend to swap phones between 1-2 years and typically get in on promos bogo etc. But with Apple it was always easy to sell them for a decent amount after a year or 3, my Note 9 even mint will probably be 1/2 by next year (but that hurts less with the bogo). I am pretty much Android only now but like to see what Apple is doing.

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, the large hands things is why I went Note a long time ago, I'm glad Apple is offering some great options there. I'm hoping they up the res so you can get more use out of the extra screen size but regardless Apple is heading in the right direction.

14. astros123

astros123 Member

youre out of your mind. all samsung notes have held great value.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The point is that samsungs don't hold their value if you plan to resell like iphones do. That is a fact, not an opinion. I'm an samsung guy and have had samsung phones since the note 2.

CCity Zero and Xerobull like this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is exactly what I meant. Thanks for this. I love my Note phones but Apple's hold their value just insane like.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Don’t think I’ll be upgrading from my X this year. First time not updating in several years. I’ll most likely get the new Apple Watch, I’m still on Gen 1.

I’m also trying to decide between an iPad Pro and a MacBook. I’ll prob wait until the spring release before I decide.

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Deuce likes this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ok, I have added iOS 12 to my iPhone 6. So far so good on the battery level after the upgrade. It is not draining as fast. Fingers crossed. Gonna keep an eye on it. I hope it continues to respond well.

20. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

They weren’t trying (still trying? Dunno) a standard Qi charging pad IIRC. Something about power regulation between the three devices, including communicating with the software in the phone and the watch. Plus the case they were designing for the AirPods I think.

#60 Coach AI, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018