1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2018-2019] Sacramento Kings

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

One of my guilty pleasures is watching the Sacramento Kings this season on LP. They are fun team to watch. Young and plucky. Dave Joerger has worked wonders.

Fox and Hield are a fun backcourt. Bogdanovich is really underrated. He would beast on the Rockets. WCS flies all over the place.

And Kings TV play by play voice Grant Napear is a joy to listen to. Man does he get worked up and excited when they do well.

Fun team.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i've watched about 10 kings games this season as i'm a de'aaron fox fan. their backcourt is electric. and bogdanovich is a much better ballhandler and overall bball player than i had ever thought. i still get him confused w/ the other one (on Indiana?) though. bagley will end up being a very good player as well imo

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I hope Fox comes home 1 day to be our future PG...love his game

I’ll admit, I’m shocked at how well the Kings have been playing...I thought they’d have their usual trash season

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'm liking Fox's sophomore season development. hopefully it just continues, hes been impressive

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If I was a Suns fan, I would be pissed looking at my team and then looking at the Kings. They are about in the same competitive cycle with their teams and the Kings are meshing and the Suns aren't.

KingsFanSince85 likes this.
  6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

They are fun. Imagine if they drafted doncic...

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

then we likely wouldnt be seeing fox break out as much as he has thus far

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. craguin

craguin Member

9. arno_ed

This could be True, and I like fox a lot. However the trio of Fox, Hield and Doncic could be very good in a couple of years just when the Warriors will decline.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. KingsFanSince85

Leading up to and through the draft, I was on board the draft Luka train. I was upset when they didn't take him.

However, I've come to understand the logic behind the Bagley selection. I do believe in time it could be proven to be the better choice. But we won't know for another couple years.

Remember, after year 1, Tyreke Evans looked like a better pick than Steph Curry. Probably not much changed after year 2. But certainly by year 4 it was no longer in question.

After last season, nobody thought De'Aaron Fox was the best player out of his draft class. Now 30 games into year 2, things are changing.

I think most expected Luka to play well his rookie season. Like Bagley, he's only 19. But unlike Bagley, he's been playing professionally for 6 years. His early success isn't a surprise.

Point is, we've only barely begun this marathon race and the leader at the 1st poll isn't necessarily gonna be the leader at the end of the race. Many fans tend to make final judgements far too soon.

Bagley was an early entry collegiate and only played 1 season. He's very good already but has a lot more potential. Right now, he looks like a very good fit running the floor with De'Aaron Fox and catching lobs from Bogdan Bogdanovic.

It's very likely that both Bagley and Luka end up as all-star caliber players (and possibly more) when all is said and done. And if that turns out to the case, then you can't really say the Kings made a mistake.

Let's see how it plays out.

clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  11. omgTHEpotential

First of all, yes, Luka has had a professional contract for 6 years. Technically he was a pro. But when he was 13-14 he was still playing with other kids similar to his age in the Real Madrid basketball academy. A lot like how kids play for their highschools in the US. Except Luka was getting a salary of some sorts.

Also, I hate this narrative of 'Luka has been a pro for so long, so it's no surprise he's playing well' - it sounds like the people are brushing off his success just because he had a 'head start'. That's bull. He created that 'head start' for himself by being REALLY GOOD. There's no guarantee that those other guys will be able to acquire even a fraction of the skills that Doncic possesses. While you can't teach athleticism, it's also very rare that someone evolves from being an athlete to a highly skilled player. And Doncic is as skilled as any 19 year old rookie to ever play in the NBA.

#11 omgTHEpotential, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Suns also on a 4 game winning streak, Kelly Oubre is doing well. Season is still young.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. craguin

craguin Member

Off topic: Suns - They got rid of someone who reportedly "checked out'.
    [Duane Rankin - Arizona Republic] Why the Phoenix Suns traded Trevor Ariza to the Washington Wizards
    Ariza checked out mentally early in the season, according to sources. After practices would ended, he’d leave before everyone else, when that's usually an opportunity to bond.
    He'd break from the team huddle before his teammates and wasn’t engaged.​

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Damn, this guy really hates Ariza. cc @Codman

15. KingsFanSince85

I hear ya, but it shouldn't be diminished or completely dismissed either.

It's a pretty large factor in his favor compared to say Marvin Bagley who was an early entry collegiate that only played one year D1 and only HS and AAU before that. The experience level is vastly different. As it is for pretty much every American HS and college player.

For example, I highly doubt that Luka will ever surpass Kobe Bryant in terms of talent and skill, but Kobe wasn't as polished at the same age and took 3-4 years until he really started to come into his own. But had Kobe played professionally in Europe from ages 13-19, odds are he would have been far more NBA ready. That's the point. It's an advantage.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  16. arno_ed

I want to root for Doncic, and it would have been a lot easier if he was King. I do not like the mavs, and I have sympathy for the Kings since their championship got stolen by the refs (after last year I understand it even better). I hope that Bagley turns out to be a good player, and he might. That being said Doncic might turn out to be a all time great.

While what you say has some merit. However we do not see the advantage that you speak of with any of the other european players. The other great players like Petrovic, Stojakovic, Nowitzki, Valanciunas, Marc Gasol all did not benefit from playing in a professional setting for so long (while they were older when they came into the nba). Not to mention all the european talents that did not make in into the nba while being successful in europe. The only european players coming into the nba that was immediatly good was Pau Gasol. What Doncic is doing is something we have not seen before. It is amazing that a 19 year old was the best player in Real Madrid, it should have been a sign for NBA GM that he is special. Especially seeing all his clutch shots.

He might still not become great. But So far he is on track to becoming the best player of the last couple of drafts.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"If you don't like that, then you don't like KINGS basketball!"

Napear at 100. What a fun team.

pippendagimp likes this.
  18. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Kings are 2 games back of the 8th seed. I really think they've turned the corner this year. Kings finally look like they've turned their luck around with draft picks with Fox (Bagley still to be determined). Big win over the Pistons, granted they lost to the Suns the game before but hey they're still young. Fox/Hield/Cauley-Stein is a nice core, adding Bogdonavic/Bagley Jackson and the rest of their young core they could shake up into a power house in the next couple of years!

19. KingsFanSince85

Yeah, they've shown their inexperience with some bad losses in recent weeks. The PHX loss was the worst. They lost focus and blew a 21-point Q3 lead. Prior to that (and after BoBo's buzzer beater win) they blew very late leads against the Lakers, Blazers, Nuggets and Warriors all in succession.

If they managed to hold on in just half of those games, they'd be in good shape right now. But now they've got to find a way to make up for those losses.

IIRC, they've had the 3rd or 4th most difficult schedule to this point and things are starting to lighten up a bit. And they just got Marvin Bagley III back in the lineup. I'm hopeful they can make up some ground. We shall see.

LCAhmed likes this.
  20. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Another win for the Kings over the Blazers! Helped push the Rockets back into 4th! Thanks Sactown!