1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2018-2019] Jeremy Lin as an Atlanta Hawk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by swyyyguy, Jul 12, 2018.

1. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Yes, Trae Young needs a backup. They don't need to be paying $12M/year for a 10-15 minute per game backup, so if they can trade him and get a couple of cheaper players who are more appropriate for that role, that would be a good plan.

I thought you said the Hawks had a plan for Lin? And that they were executing the plan for him perfectly?

But yes, there is no plan for Lin with the Hawks. The Nets had a plan for Lin, but injuries prevented them from executing them. The Hornets had a plan for Lin and executed it to everyone's expectations and everyone got what they wanted. The Lakers management had a plan for Lin, but Byron Scott is an idiot. And the Rockets had a plan for Lin, but they unexpectedly were able to sign Harden and correctly chose Harden to build the team around instead of Lin. The Knicks had not plan for Lin, but he surprised everyone. GSW had a plan for Lin, but Lin just wasn't good enough to fulfill it. So yes...the Hawks have no plan for Lin other than maybe using his expiring contract to try to trade him for more pieces/draft picks...hopefully they are able to trade him to a team that will have more of a plan for him.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin as a Hawk is where destiny and God put him
    His plan is perfect

Congratulate the Hawks on that lotto pick

3. tinman

Supporting Member

@Zboy
    There's no LOF GMs in the league.
    They are basing their decision on where they might land in the draft.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...battle-for-top-spot/iluuw7kwmy3y1eifqkaz7hya0
    1. Hawks — Zion Williamson, Forward, Duke

Williamson’s teammate RJ Barrett started the season as the top prospect on our Big Board, but if things continue apace, there’s a good chance he’ll be displaced Williamson himself. The 6-7 forward has been phenomenal to start the season, averaging 27.5 points, 11.5 rebounds, 3.5 blocks and 3.0 assists per contest through two games.

At just 18 years old, Williamson possesses unmatched athleticism, an impressively high basketball IQ and the ability to generate efficient offense even without a consistent jumper. Pairing him with Trae Young in Atlanta would be a joy.

4. yoeddy

I’m not religious, so I’m not buying the God’s plan thing.

5. yoeddy

Not sure what your point is regarding Lin here. Hawks clearly focused on developing Trae Young...and sure, they would love to get a high draft pick. What does any of that have to do with Lin other than they don’t expect to resign Lin after this season? If they were trying to tank and Lin sucks like you say, then they would play him more, no? But no, that’s not what they are doing..,they simply don’t have any plans for Lin, and that’s fine...negative situation for Lin, but fine for the Hawks so it’s understandable.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Lin was on the nets and then he got traded to the hawks in the middle of the summer

Why is it a negative situation?

#206 tinman, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  7. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Cause Trae Young also kinda sucks right now. Let me be clear, he's a rookie playing 30 minutes on a bad team, he's supposed to be making mistakes and being ineffecient. Lin or not, the Hawks knew they could tank this year and however good Young would be, they'd still lose lots of games because it wouldn't be enough. Per36 he's currently shooting 7 threes a game on 26% shooting, and while his assist numbers are great, he's also coughing up nearly 5 turnovers.

8. yoeddy

Do I really need to explain this? You aren't really that dense, are you?

9. tinman

Supporting Member

Explain to me that the Hawks roster is built to get them Zion Williamson?

You don’t understand what the Hawks are doing. It’s obvious.

You didn’t understand why Lin gets traded from all these ‘best for Lin ‘ teams

He fits on this team

10. yoeddy

Not sure what you are trying to explain to me here. Fwiw, I know that the Hawks are betting big on Trae Young, and I know they are going to play him even if he sucks now with the hope that experience will make him better. And yes, they aren't going to focus on winning. And it sucks for Lin because even if Lin is able to play better than Young, the Hawks don't care because winning is not a priority and they are focused on developing Young. They will only play Lin if Young needs a breather or during garbage time. For tinman, this is a negative situation to be in for any player in the NBA who wants to play...can't believe that's so hard for anyone to understand.

I'm not convinced that the Hawks are "tanking". To me, tanking means that they are purposely losing games to improve their draft position. I believe that if Trae Young were playing great, they would let him play great try to win some games, regardless of what it does to their draft position.

11. yoeddy

Again, I don't believe the Hawks are tanking purposely. They are playing Trae Young to get him as much experience as possible. Did they build the rest of the roster to lose? I seriously doubt that any GM would do that...because even if they then got Zion Williamson, it would take way too long to shed the crummy roster and build a winning team. They may have taken some contracts, like Lin's, to give them cap space next year or the year after, but building a roster to lose? That would be the dumbest GM in the world to actually go through with doing something like that. Ok, maybe James Dolan would do it...

And again, Lin has only been traded twice in his career, so not sure what you mean by "traded from all these 'best for Lin' teams". Houston became a bad fit for him the moment Houston got Harden. Nets understandably traded Lin because his health and production were uncertain given the seriousness of his injury.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Oh the hawks aren’t tanking purposely?
    Why cause they got Lin ?
    @Zboy

13. yoeddy

Based on everything I’ve read about the Hawks’ GM, it would be seriously uncharacteristic of him to direct the team to tank. And similarly, a rookie head coach is highly unlikely to purposely tank. Sure, they are not making wins a priority...Pierce’s reputation is about player development, and that’s where they focus...not draft position...

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Oh Jeremy Lin led the Hawks in points last night
    The Hawks lost by 45 points

They are focused on developing ping pong balls for Zion

15. yoeddy

Yup, no plan for Lin...only give him garbage time minutes even when Trae Young is playing like garbage. Oh well...like I said, I think they trade Lin before the All-Star break...

16. tinman

Supporting Member

You mean no Lin fans plan for Lin
    The hawks have a plan for the hawks and involved getting Lin from the nets
    What you think they should bench Trae Young ?

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

lmao, yeah okay player development sure you can call it whatever you want. Bottom line is whoever put that roster together sure as hell didn't build it to win games, so yeah by default they are tanking.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

What? Lin on a tanking roster?
    Blasphemy!

19. yoeddy

Nope, have never said they should bench Young for Lin. Just stated a fact that they are prioritizing Young’s development over winning, and that includes not playing a better player even though one is available. I never said the Hawks were wrong for doing this, just expressed that this is a negative situation for Lin.

The Hawks were only interested in getting Lin as an insurance policy in case Young got injured. They couldn’t do that with Schroeder because Schroeder had a bad attribute. But they were willing to take Lin because of Lin’s reputation for being a good teammate.

20. yoeddy

For me, tanking means losing on purpose to improve your draft position. With young players like Young and Collins, no way that is the tone they want to set.