1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018/2019 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Buffon goes PSG though.

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Ronaldo's best option is Italy since no British club or PSG or Bayern are good fits, but it surprises me that Juventus will pay so much. It will definitely pay off for them commercially though, maybe even with a Champions League title if he catches fire with them.

I don't get Buffon to PSG. Is he supposed to be their starting goalkeeper? How is someone like Neymar supposed to believe that the team is seriously trying to win the Champions League when they get a 40 year-old goalie?

Real Madrid made another bargain transfer with Odriozola from Real Sociedad for 40 million Euros. He was Carvajal's backup on the national team and should do the same on Madrid. I like these types of signings that add to the depth of the team. Also, they almost guarantee an improvement at the position because the signing either pushes the incumbent starter to improve to keep his spot or the signee improves the position himself.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

THIS IS THE YEAR OF LIVERPOOL!

FAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAP

5. Raz

Raz Member

They are also pretty cool when it comes to paying taxes.

Yung-T and Jontro like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ronaldo and Juventus, the Tradition and the Arrogant Closer.

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Still just a rumor though. We aren't sure if they really can afford both his transfer fee and his wages.
    Inter just went on a buying spree to make their squad deeper, if they hadn't then I could figure theyd be in the race(not sure how that would work with Icardi).
    Roma would be great but I doubt their owners want to overpay and overspend for CR7 when they're still trying to get their new stadium built.
    I wonder if AC Milan would've been a better landing spot....if their chinese owners were more legit or if the proposed sale to the Chicago cubs owners had gone through already. Maybe they would have wanted such a splash signing and I could see Milan overpaying for an aging CR7.
    He just needs a club to play at for another 2 years or so before Miami FINALLY gets an MLS team and he can come join Beckham's organization.

I mean Buffon at 40 is still better than about 80% or more of goalkeepers around the world. I don't think that would be a concern to Neymar. If they don't add more talent to make the squad even deeper then that would be a problem for Neymar.
    I wonder how Kevin Trapp and especially Alphonse Areola are feeling after hearing the Buffon news. Both probably felt optimistic about winning the GK job after making the French WC squad and German WC squad and then ..."here's Gianluigiiiiiiii"!

8. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Hi... thought fee would be covered by other transfers namely Pipa Higuain. Wages covered via FIAT.

ferrari77 likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

would like fifa and nba to trade salary rules for 5 seasons (the average contract length for decent players i assume). see how soccer teams do with a hard salary cap.

Yung-T likes this.
  10. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/paulinho-brazil-i-was-in-the-grave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#31 daywalker02, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

FCB needed to clear a non-EU spot so Paulinho was the sacrifice. I feel like he could stay in Europe if he wanted to, but China is just too much money to pass up. You can be a average player yet get paid like Ronaldo in China, as long as you are Brazilian, of course.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Actually the active roster spots have been decreased to 3 spots that can be on the pitch at the same time.

Teams have changed their outlook, signing at least serviceable players and cut on mediocre ones. Of course the transfer tax is high at the moment.

Many try to at least get a borderline National team player, one of the bigger nations if possible or an African power forward/South American finesse player.

The Real Problem has been the transfer sums of the local players. Quality Chinese players have been in high demand as many U23 players/players under 24 have been signed to ridiculous money.

14. Fantasma Negro

All defensive upgrades. Still need another midfielder that can generate offense just in case Ozil really is done. High expectations for these guys

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dayum, Leno looks like Ter Stegen in this....thought was him. Good to have a fellow Gunner fan here.

Ice man Bergkamp FTW!!!!

#35 daywalker02, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Fantasma Negro and Gdaliya like this.
  16. FaBo

FaBo Member

Ronaldo to Juve official. Crazy.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

Not a Gunner fan but I'm a big Iceman fan.
    One of my all time favorite players to watch and i just feel like he doesn't get the love he deserves.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

Riyad Mahrez to Manchester City

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

It took a Wenger exit for Arsenal to finally sort out their defense/gk/midfield.

Arsenal needed a defensive midfielder for last 8 years lol...

Their defense has been in shambles for a while and was especially atrocious last season.

Same for the goal keeper.

Took the new management just one season to at least get the first fix in.

Embarrassing for Wenger.

Jontro likes this.