1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 highest potential busts

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by basketballholic, Jun 5, 2017.

1. dmoneybangbang

Expectations for what? He is the pick received from a highly lopsided trade, which isn't fair to the players but nevertheless a real thing.

2. basketballholic

You must be drunk to be celebrating summer league results as some sort of confirm that Swanigan is a player at 10 am in the morning in early August. #crazywoman

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

We have only had Summer League to judge so far right? And he has passed that test. I am sure if he flopped in Summer League, your tune would be different.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Summer league? Donte Greene ish?

5. basketballholic

Well if he got major minutes and had 15 fouls and shot 39% from 2 and turned the ball over at an abysmal rate then you'd have to agree that the SL competition overwhelmed him......Which sure wouldn't be a positive sign.

And if he was mediocre in SL........as he was.......then it really doesnt tell you anything.

And if he didn't get minutes in SL it really doesn't tell you anything either.

But if he goes up against the top lottery and skins them around on their butt like Donavan Mitchell did to Tatum then you can say Mitchell has a good chance to be a legit player.

And if they are a top lottery pick and they go out and dominate SL like they're supposed to do you can say their probably not going to bust......at least initially. Although they may still bust if they aren't mature enough to deal with the NBA lifestyle and the big money and still love and live the game.

6. FTW Rockets FTW

basketballholic likes this.
  7. basketballholic

Good. Just for you dear, triple bust.

On a serious note.........If he maintains his work ethic he's got a chance to make a decent career. And you really can't say a guy drafted at the bottom of the first can....bust.....unless he doesn't make it 3-5 years.

However, I don't see it with CS. He's a grinder in a league that has gone away from his style. He's not fast enough at the 4 to be effective. Will have to play the 5. And he doesn't have elite length, skills, or athleticism for the 5. 10-15 spot on an NBA roster. Third center. Can board. Nose for the ball. Journeyman. Nothing more.

.........but i could be wrong

....but probably not

:)

8. FTW Rockets FTW

Now you're just twisting everything in typical _holic style. Putting several caveats and several conditions.

I continue to question your evaluation of young talent, of course along with your "sauces":D:eek:

9. basketballholic

Let me be clear. If I had the 26th pick in the draft, I would not have taken Swanigan. I wouldn't have taken him anywhere in the draft because I see no outstanding skills, length, athleticism, and I do see a lot of risk. And I feel that at his peak he will be easily replaceable by many minimum salary players that are always available. IMO, he's a JAP, just another player.

Look, it's basically the same reason I wouldn't have drafted Nanu. I don't see Nanu as anything more than a reserve 5 in the Association. I wouldn't spend a draft pick on a reserve 5 that has 50/50 chance of not making it. Especially in today's league where pedestrian bigs are running out our ears and everybody is playing small, making the wings guys more in demand.

Swanigan is a tractor. Very strong. Very slow. He's not going to be able to defend 4's, especially on the perimeter. And he's simply not long enough not quick enough to defend the paint effectively. He is strong enough you carve up some space and grab a couple boards. But so am I.

Look at the guys he's got to go up against. You tell me, how does he distinguish himself enough to be even a consistent rotation player?

10. FTW Rockets FTW

You confuse me man!! You say you wouldn't have drafted Nanu but then said Nanu should eat Capela's minutes last season or something like that. So is Cpaela not worthy to be in the league?

Guys like Reggie Evans and other big man scrubs (even Tarik Black) have made a decent NBA career. Big Swag can shoot the 3 ball tooo!!

11. basketballholic

Don't see a big difference in Capela and Nanu frankly. And Capela is coming up on a big payday. I'd rather trade him and roll with a cheap option like Nanu in the middle since Nanu has exhibited some talent for learning how to shoot. Capela, in my opinion, is more valuable to us as a trade asset than as an actual player.

Yes, evans scrubbed out a career. That's who I've thought about midst in reference to Swanigan. But Evans was basically a journeyman. He couldn't do anything but grab boards, which is fine for the 12-15 guy on the roster. But not worth spending a first round or medium to high second round pick on. Yes, he can line up a three and knock it down when left out there to aim. Can he pull the trigger accurately at NBA speed? That's another story.

Kinda like Jordan Bell is a whole nother story. That's the guy I'd have taken at 26.

12. basketballholic

Keep me posted. (I'm sure you will.)

13. FTW Rockets FTW

I will also keep you posted and let you know that the guy you thought is better than Ryan Anderson in Kyle Whitljer is rotting away at yet another team :eek:

Do you make some of these predictions / analysis after hitting the bottles?:D

14. basketballholic

Wiltjer is better than Anderson. And I don't even know what team he is on or what he is doing. Clear enough?

15. FTW Rockets FTW

[​IMG]

basketballholic likes this.
  16. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

He busted his nut into your mouth, Cletus.

17. K-Lo_The_Future

Tell them trailer trash.