1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He's still striking out way too much, but Daz Cameron is slowly inching toward some respectable numbers. He hit his 7th HR of the season last night. If he can finish with a .220/.310/.420 line with 15 HR and 30 SB and get his k rate below 25% I would consider that a huge success.

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

He's a bust until proven otherwise. That slash line is still horrendous and stealing bases in the low minors means very little.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Sure, compared to the expectations set when he was drafted, he has been very disappointing, but I don't understand labeling any 20 year old a bust. So long as he's showing improvement and continuing to develop, there's reason for optimism, and if you look at his numbers this season in QC, they're universally better than his numbers last season in QC.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Those are the top names? I'd hate to see the names they eliminated to narrow down on those five.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Brock Dykxhoorn is a Hall of Famer.

In Canada.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

o_O

Jim (Little Rock): Daz Cameron tools aside is it to early to label him a bust?

Kyle Glaser: Nope. He’s a bust. Third professional season hitting .202 in LoA. Full bust status. That’s how toolsy HS OFs are. The boom is great, the bust is too. Every draft class has them. Cameron isn’t the first to bust and won’t be the last, either.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-chat-june-23-b/#pPlDHKOkOdfKX1uJ.99

7. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Jake Rogers hit 227/330/256 as a 20 year old with a metal bat.
    Mike Cameron had an ops of below .600 as a 20 year old in A ball.
    Rule number 1:
    Never, ever presumptively write the final chapter for a 20 year old.

No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Tucker just hit another one. We got another elite prospect on our hands, fellas.

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Agree you can't write him off completely, but to think he could be the main piece of a deal for anyone who could legitimately help us this year is laughable

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Who said anything about that?

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Sure looks like it, Fishers looking legit too

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Meh. Kyle Glaser is wrong.

By the way, Daz Cameron hit another home run today.

13. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I'm of the mindset that you can call a bust a bust. Doesn't mean they can't turn it around or have some late(r) career success, but if you don't come close to meeting initial expectations after a a significant amount of time then you're a bust.

Appel is a bust. I don't care if he makes the majors and later carves out a long career as a MOR. He's a bust.

The Beard likes this.
  14. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Daz has tremendous tools. Just don't think his bat to ball skills are ever going to be good enough unfortunately.

15. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/hous...-drives-in-three-runs/c-238623860/t-185364810

After a rough start, Kyle Tucker is getting settled in with Double-A Corpus Christi.

The Astros' No. 2 prospect homered for the fourth time in six games en route to his first three-hit game in the Texas League, powering the Hooks to an 11-4 win over Frisco on Saturday.

"I've been here a couple of weeks now. I've definitely had to make adjustments since I got promoted," Tucker said. "When I started with Corpus, I was swinging out of the zone a lot, so I had to pull that back and focused on hitting my pitches and not swinging at everything."

Through his first 13 Texas League games, the 2015 first-round pick was hitting .232 and sported a .645 OPS. Since then, he's raised his batting average 33 points and OPS to .848

"One of the first things that I noticed was that the pitching was a lot better," Tucker said. "They could locate better and had sharper break on their secondary pitches. So, I realized I couldn't keep swinging at pitches out of the zone -- even though I know I can hit it, that doesn't mean I could do anything with it. So, I've had to make them throw it over the plate rather than nibble on the corner and that approach has helped me."

Batting second in the first inning, the Tampa native jumped on a first-pitch changeup from Collin Wiles (6-4) and put it out over the fence in right-center to open the scoring.

"Yesterday, they started me out with a slider on the first pitch and I got a lot of off-speed through the game. So, I saw the changeup out of the hand pretty early and it stayed up in the zone and I decided to take a hack at it," Tucker explained.

It was the sixth homer for MLB.com's No. 29 overall prospect since he joined the Hooks on May 30, but just the second one that he pulled.

"You kind of have to play depending on how the park is," Tucker said. "Here in Corpus, the wind doesn't always blow but when it does it goes out to left. So, instead of taking those outside pitches, you can flick one out that way. And at the same time, I may take some more inside pitches because if I lift one out to right there's a good chance it'll get hung up in the wind."

Tucker singled to left in the fifth before driving in two runs with another base knock in the eighth. It was his third game with at least three hits this year.

Astros No. 27 prospect Jason Martin, who was promoted with Tucker from Class A Advanced Buies Creek, went 3-for-4 with a homer. He has a .354/.386/.633 slash line with four homers and 12 RBIs in 20 games with the Hooks.

"I've played with him since the end of last year, so we've built a strong relationship. It was awesome to see him have another great night tonight and keep doing well here," Tucker said.

http://clips.milb.com/milb/2017/06/25/44-505761-2017-06-24/web_cut/milb_1535848583_1000K.mp4

http://clips.milb.com/milb/2017/06/25/44-505761-2017-06-24/web_cut/milb_1535955383_1000K.mp4

No Worries likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Don't agree with this. I don't care what a guy does in minors as long as he develops before getting cut or sold low on.

Cameron is most likely a bust.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

His dad followed a similar trajectory. He sucked until he did not.

Cameron has improved since the beginning of the season. If he continues to improve, he might just make it to The Bigs.

FWIW most MLB draftees never log > 1WAR in The Bigs. Chances are that they are all busts.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Typically, I don't think guys outside 1st round can bust. Even guys in late first should get some slack regarding bust label. Cameron being over slot makes him an exception in my book.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Carson LaRue allowed 2 runs on 5 hits, walked 1, and struck out 8 in 6 innings in Quad Cities' 3-2 win last night. Here's his line for the year:

13 appearances (10 starts), 8-2, 2.67 ERA, 67.1 IP, 47 H (5 HR allowed), 23 R (20 ER), 21 BB, 66 K, 1.01 WHIP, .194 opponent average

LaRue was the Astros' 14th-round pick last year out of Cowley County College in Kansas. He started his college career at Oklahoma State and had been committed to UH before he decided to turn pro.

No Worries likes this.
  20. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

M
    The rankings came out early in the season and by then he had only 57PA in DSL. That isn't enough to warrant him ranking higher unless he is like a Maitan type prospect. Now that he's shown he can hit in Low and High A, I'd expect to see him higher on the lists.