1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm a lot surprised that Fisher didn't make it. He is the 5th rated prospect by Longenhagen on the Astros. I know it is a silly opinion, but it seems like there is a huge gap in perceived value between Alvarez and Rogers/Cameron/Perez. Besides for Bukauskas and maybe Celestino, it will likely take huge years for anyone else on Astros to make a Top 100 list next year. Granted, odds are good someone besides those two has a huge year in Astros minors and makes the leap...just difficult to tell which one.

#2201 Joe Joe, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  2. The Drake

The Drake Member

I think he's about to graduate by some standards? But what the hell do I know

3. KeuchelForPresident

Update: Tyler hit a HR in his final AB in yesterday's game, so that brings him to 7-for -22 with 2 HR during his Fresno stint.

Other fun fact: Tyler has hit 5 HR between Astros & Grizz in his last 28 ABs. That's a pace that would make George Springer jealous.

No Worries likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He is, but he was 5th yesterday on his Astros Top 10 and has two more plate appearances than Moncado. It appears Fisher was left off because he was viewed not worthy, and not becasue he passed some arbitrary threshhold. Longenhagen is an upside guy so I don't expect him to be the high man on Fisher, but I did expect Fisher to still be in Top 100.

5. The Drake

The Drake Member

Ah, word. Didn't realize Longenhagen was part of Fangraphs.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sorry about that. He is their lead prospect guy and it seems the Top 100 is his list. I doubt Jimenez would have been so high and Vlad, JR. so low if the managing editor of Fangraphs or others who have different types of contacts had much input.

7. The Drake

The Drake Member

All good -- thanks for the insight!

8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

There's a huge gap in perceived value because there's a huge gap in value. Rogers/Cameron/Perez are all solid prospects with varying degrees of upside and current production but none of them have done enough to overcome poor starts (Cameron), low draft pedigree(Rogers), or merely level above-average production (Perez). Again, that's not to say they're not good minor leaguers or will not have good careers; they just haven't done enough to be top prospects.

I think it reflects more on the guys who made the list than those left off. My expectations (reasonable or not) for Kyle Tucker are being at minimum an above-average major league outfielder. He is truly an elite prospect. Cameron, on the other hand, is making his third pass through low-A and wouldn't entirely surprise me if he doesn't make the majors.

Perez, I don't know all that well but scouting the stat-line I'm not super impressed with 21 y/o bonus baby striking out 6.4 K/9 in HiA.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree, but my experience in last month or so is that it does not seem that many share this view. I think Astros have plenty of guys that can fill call ups for injuries, and a lot of guys that could become something in a few years. I feel there is a perception that the Astros have a lot of valued prospects that they won't need and could be traded where this gap exists.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Tyler White deserved to stay on the MLB roster and JD Davis should have been sent down. He hit 3 HRs in his last 2 games and they sent him down in favor of a kid who looked over matched at the time.

I feel for some of these guys that got a small taste of the big leagues but never get the full-time opportunity again. Specifically, Tony Kemp and Tyler White deserve another shot to stick as big leaguers. An unfortunate by-product of our roster being so talented -- I hope they allow Kemp an opportunity to play elsewhere.

KeuchelForPresident likes this.
  11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

There's no doubt the Astros system is extremely healthy and could probably have given up some serious talent at the trade deadline to get a couple more/significant major league contributors. But when it comes down to brass tacks, it can often be difficult to trade from a position of over-abundance.

***In the past I actually have advocated for trading the star talent and hoping the minor league depth can adequately cover (e.g. trading Bregman and hoping Moran can be 80% as good).

I think the problem a lot of fans have is thinking other teams care about those B and C levels guys that we have so many of. Those guys can be a solid group of prospects who develop into solid major leaguers, but they're not sexy and likely aren't going to be flipped for Darvish or Hamels. That's just terrible PR for the opposing team.

From the GM standpoint, I'm sure every single GM that engages in trade discussion with Luhnow starts with KTuck, Whitley, FPerez or Martes to which Luhnow just laughs. The problem is GM's like Dombrowski happily trade their top prospects for top ML players, so Luhnow looks super stingy.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Yordan Alvarez just hit a 2-run homer. He now has 2 with Buies Creek and 11 on the year.

13. Hemo_jr

Hemo_jr Member

Kyle Tucker just a HR. That's 2 hits in this game. And it's only in the 3rd inning.

#2213 Hemo_jr, Aug 17, 2017
  14. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Tucker hit a bomb off of Mitch White and Whitley has thrown two perfect innings with four strikeouts thus far. Be still my beating heart.

chievous minniefield and Hemo_jr like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Whitley 3 perfect, 7 strikeouts.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Holy ffffff

We have a real ACE in the system

He's our numero uno prospect.

texans1095 likes this.
  17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We should trade him for a lefty:rolleyes::);)

18. Buck Turgidson

How big was Jon Singleton when he was that age?

Read Bagwell's scouting report when he was 22. There's a million others

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Struck out the side again.

5 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 10 Ks in his AA debut. Holy schit.

Nook, Joe Joe, crose and 1 other person like this.
  20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Forrest Whitley's AA debut comes to a close with the following line:

6 IP, 2 H, 11 K, 92 pitches (61 strikes)

[​IMG]

#2220 tellitlikeitis, Aug 17, 2017
    vonwafer234, Nook, dockerland and 7 others like this.