1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017/2018 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

2. Fantasma Negro

Yung-T likes this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

will revisit this tweet when emery underachieves and fans are calling for his head.

4. Fantasma Negro

I wanted Jardim but Emory is very respectable. I expect to win the Europa next year and at least be top four, we have the talent. But if we aren't challenging to win the premier league and competitive in the champions league in year two I will personally start the "Emory out" chants

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not a fan of Unai Emery.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Dortmund signed Brett Favre?

ramotadab likes this.
  7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Ancelotti new Napoli coach. RIP

ramotadab likes this.
  8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Eh...Ozil was one of the better players in last Euro. Muller, on the other hand, was atrocious, and the main reason Germany failed. Khedira, like always will be inured by one or two games.

German offense wont be as efficient without Ozil. Ball moves smoothly with him in the lineup. Ozil and Kroos connect well and work brilliantly from midfield. Ozil has a very lackadaisical approach to game, but the guy has an incredibly high footballing IQ. The managers trust him to make the right decisions with the ball in the final third which is why he is always going to be selected when available.

German team's issue will be the same as last Euro's. Striker problem. Options are not brilliant enough. With Klose gone, they are still searching for that prolific scorer. Muller is a great off-the-striker player but when you make him the target, not so much.

Also, the CBs will be suspect. And we dont know how close to 100% Neuer is going to be.

My favourite for last WC was Germany, a team which I have long rooted for.

For this WC, I will still root for Germany like always. I would have picked France to win the whole thing for their talent pool. But, their chemistry and management is trash. Cant believe France is still sticking with DeSchamps. The guy is an idiot. But its ok. Let him keep France down lulz... France needs fire the idiot and give the job to Wenger. While I am no fan of the Wenger of last decade, at least he wont be anywhere as bad as the moron they have in charge now.

My favorite for this WC is Spain. They have a very well rounded team and also a top GK anchoring their defense.

Argentina is in disarray as usual and Messi usually chokes past the group stages. Belgium have the talent but they always find a way to fail.

England.....Welbeck made their team. That tells you everything about the state of that team ...LOL

ramotadab likes this.
  9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Unai is the best Arsenal could have hoped for given the state of this team currently.

No, as it stands, Arsenal does not have the talent to be in top four or be the favourites for Europa. The only thing that is sorted is the front line with Auba, Mkhi, Laca, and Ozil. The midfield is in shambles as it always has been for last three years ever since Santi went down. Arsenal midfield play is a clown show.

Their defense is even more atrocious. They were eight in the league in goals allowed. Kos is done for physically and mentally. His body is breaking down and his mental lapses this season cost Arsenal a bunch of goals. Mustafi started off well for first 20 or so games once he came to Arsenal but after that he has been incredibly erratic and is too error prone. Bellerin has been a joe of a footballer. He runs fast and that's about it. Has a poor defensive awareness and tries to cover up for his poor positioning with his speed. Also the guy cant cross for ****. He has stagnated as a footballer for last couple of seasons.

Arsenal also needs a goalkeeper. Cech is earning retirement money. His reflxes have slowed down and he always never comes out of his line. Puts a lot of pressure on defense. As for the other option, Ospina is a midget. You cant fix midgets especially in the EPL. The guy is a drama waiting to happen on crosses as well. Just not good enough if you are trying to achieve high.

Gives you an idea of what a clown job Wenger had been doing for last couple of seasons. I mean, the man was hell bent on giving Welbeck as many minutes as he could. The guy that has absolutely no footballing skills and why ManU let him go ages ago.

For the state Arsenal is in, I think Unai is a good head coach for them. Notice thats how he was introduced in Arsenal press conf., not as a manager.

Unai has a track record of overachieving given the talent level at Sevilla. He also has a track record of improving the players. The man is a good student of the game and watches and lot of videos. He is also a good tactician, something Wenger was horrendous at. He will try to adapt tot situations/players/teams.

Thats is exactly what Arsenal needs. To improve all the players that had stagnated under Wenger and then to purge the no talent players like Welbeck which Wenger had accumulated. Unai needs to improve the team enough so that in a few years Arsenal once again becomes an attractive team for top players and eventually a top manager.

Right now, you have to ask, why any top manager would want to come to Arsenal, unless they have been given a blank check to get their players. And Arsenal is never going to do that. They are cheap. Their owner is Stan Kronke, a cheap b*stard, who is only looking to line his pocket.

ramotadab and Fantasma Negro like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is a crazy one.......Marek Hamsik is questionably going to China.

ramotadab likes this.
  11. Fantasma Negro

I agree with you they need to replace nearly all their defenders on the first team squad. Mustafi can improve, Kolastinac wasn't too bad and Mavropanos showed a lot of promise. Every other defender needs to be sold. Goalkeeper is an issue too, Cech's age showed all season and I still have no clue why Ospina is on this squad, dude has sucked from day one. The midfielders aren't that bad, when healthy. Miki is my man, Ramsey is a stud and Xhaka gets a bad rap but I think he's solid when playing with the support of a capable defender and he's got the nastiness I like. Unfortunately Elneny and Ozil was injured most of the season. They need to let Jack Wilshire go, this ain't no time for sentimentality, he's not been up to snuff, sell him for whatever will be paid. I know it sounds like a lot but the silver lining is that our forwards are top notch, we can go back and forth about Welbeck and Iwobi but with world class guys like Laca and Aubameyang I would be fine with that group going into next season maybe just adding one player for depth. So in terms of needs because goalkeeper is a priority its four rotation players and possibly both goalies but my optimism is because Emery is a player development coach so guys like Niles, Nelson, Nketiah and Mavropanos can fill productive roles. I don't think my expectations for this club are too farfetched

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Zlatko Jununzovic from Bremen to Salzburg after their failed Europa Cup Final run.

Anyone knowing about Marco Rose's future?

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Breh living the life lmao.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There might be a special law for guys like Ronaldinho. One Busty one Small.

Yung-T likes this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He seemed to always be loyal af instead oj joining a bigger Team in Spain or England, commendable career.
    In that case I somehow understand him wanting to get a nice final paycheck.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I meant Carlo going Naples is a crazier one. Middle of the pack but not even championship level in Italy. And that was when Higuain kept them afloat.

It's like going from Bayern to Leipzig, Köln, Frankfurt. Maybe even Schalke when they are mediocre.

Edit: They seem to be among the Top 3 teams in the last years though.....maybe it's just not a big name.

#1896 daywalker02, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Huh? They lead the league for weeks and ended the season with an epic 91pts. Missed the top 3 only two times this decade.
    That team has become Italy's second force after Juve.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Probably a testament to how the big Milan clubs, Lazio, AS Rome have fallen off...... I have not followed that season table since Juve came back from Serie B and dominated every season again.

Cannot find any big name players after Higuain........see my edit.

#1898 daywalker02, May 24, 2018
  19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The league still got some top dawgs like Dybala and Icardi, but after that it's mostly top talents or 2nd tier stars.

Napoli has a great roster though, they'd be in the CL spot in bigger leagues like Spain and England. Probably 2nd place in Germany,

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Probably got some young talents or good players from smaller countries.

Leipzig beat them in Best of 32, Europa league.

#1900 daywalker02, May 24, 2018