1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017/2018 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 19, 2017.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol.....you can't have it all. I dun mind if you call mah club disgusting, I would do the same.

If you want to be great almost all the time, you have to resort to Thanos methods.

Other clubs are very envious of Barca and Real, that's just the way it is and will be for years.

You cannot be a Gentleman club like Ajax and let your stars leave every other year.....

Ajax was great, really great once. I dun think they just decided to become a foster club, they were made that way.

I dun think it's the right way but soccer should be more like the NBA where you can trade for players.

At least teams will get at least something other than millions.

BVB is not the smartest club, so I dun really feel sorry for them.

I might agree with you that Barca isn't really out for CL titles only, they want to have the best stars, dominate everyone.

Spain is known to treat celebrities lightly, they dun really have to go to jail due to tax evasion.

If you call it shady, well, that is how their system works. I guess. Everything is in flux.

Barca has seriously considered going off to a Catalan league only.

#1821 daywalker02, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

There's a drastic difference between that and openly telling players to strike their way out of a club by going awol. It's just disgusting and should lead to severe punishments.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun think it is all true what you read in your papers, sometimes the manager of that said player told him to go to Barca and strike......

And I say that because I like LFC and to an extent BVB of the past with Hitzfeld but they are just 2nd tier at that.

I think Barca and Real have built brands that are the best in the world......

Man U and PSG are doing work there too, Man City........others just lag behind. Unfortunately.

And of course they have the most money. (allegedly)

Well, it ain't worth a conversation as other players have striked as well..... Mahrez for instance.

That is apparently what some players do nowadays.

#1823 daywalker02, May 10, 2018
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If there is evidence of criminal intent, well, I would want them punished too, but you got to have more evidence than just reports.

@Yung-T breh

If you see some migrant worker, construction worker, or worker of other business doing work but not doing it under contract or anything, tax evading, do you even care?

Well, the financial department would care but we do not.

#1824 daywalker02, May 10, 2018
  5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea but you have to take a look at how they were able to do it. If you read up on their shady deals with the government, banks and the Uefa, it's pretty clear that they should have been banned years ago and were only able to stay powerhouses because of illegal activities.

Jontro likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The thing is the government is Gawd, they decide what is legal and illegal......I dun like it either......

But I think the Spanish Government is pro Madrid and Catalan powerhouse is more on its own.....as we have seen with the referendum, Barca was this close to being sent away.

I would think Barca is not alone on UEFA or FIFA's list.

Spain is not as strong an economy as perhaps Germany, so they are in need of powerhouses in economy, sports and culture.

The way to work around laws is different, Germany is a strict country, the South is not. Also mentalitywise, just another ball park.

I am not in the banking business or the Futball legal business to know more, so I won't be throwing things out there, that I do not know much about.

But I know that there are ways for a player to get a FIFA licence for a new club, being still under contract to the old club.

Unethical perhaps but very much doable.

#1826 daywalker02, May 10, 2018
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

yeah but liverpool doe, amirite? huh, huuhh?

ClutchCity3 and daywalker02 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They better shake loose some Fantasy points for the daywalker.

Jontro likes this.
  9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Robben and Rafinha also extended their contract for 1yr, guess the band will be back.

Sky also saying Madrid has ended negotiations with Lewandowski and backed off.

Jontro likes this.
  10. Raz

Raz Member

Good thing. Will be easier for Kovac to start with a settled squad.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

True, although I would've liked to see Lewandowski gone. Can't see how him staying helps team chemistry.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. Raz

Raz Member

No quality forward available to replace him, so we just have to hope that he remains at least professional on the pitch.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And nobody (except those who are short sighted) is throwing 100 million at a 29 yr old no matter how good he is....... if he were 5 years younger that would be a whole other story.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Juve paid 90mil for a 28yr old Higuain, this market has changed and many clubs don't give a f.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Real Madrid, winner of the last 2 CLs are not many clubs though.

Higuain already played in the Serie A, and Juve could just go over to Napoli and watch him.

There is a certain risk if someone bombs..... I can think of enough players playing mediocre at Madrid....

Kaka, yours truly Robben, Robinho, Beckham to name a few.......who could have played elsewhere.

To be fair, Robben played well enough IMO but they were still not satisfied after just two seasons. He did not score his best goals there.

#1835 daywalker02, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I did not say that, Ex Madrid keeper Bodo Ilgner with his manager wife at his side, said that with other 'experts' on the Markus Lanz show.

Said nobody big (and not desperate) is going to pay Lewan around 80-100 million if they could go after the likes of Salah, Kane, Hazard, KDB.....who are younger and on an upswing.

Said it at the night of Bayern's defeat.

Getting them is another story.

#1836 daywalker02, May 12, 2018
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Except for Kane, all these guys are midfielders and I'm pretty sure 80-100mil would only net you Hazard.

If you need a world-class striker, there aren't many options.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

These clubs send their scouts and connections and watch a player all-year if they really like him, plus you have video footage.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wingers and midfielders are the key now........ They could go the Man City way and net a younger forward guy from South America. Or a league middle of a pack dweller.

You dun have to own a world class forward if you got a world class midfield.... you could go for a very good one.

He could be made/nurtured to be 'great'.

#1839 daywalker02, May 12, 2018
  20. Raz

Raz Member

So, decision day in Bundesliga. The international ranks and the relegation seedings are determined today. Something historic could happen with Hamburger SV being relegated, they are the only founding member of the Bundesliga to play there continuosly since the first season ever 1963. The last couple of years HSV somehow avoided the 2. Bundesliga, but I think today will be their farewell. They need to win against Gladbach and meanwhile hope for Köln (already going down dead last) to beat Wolfsburg.

I adore the nine game simulcast, most fun part of the season to me. Really looking forward to it, even though the outcome of some games are irrelevant.

Yung-T likes this.