1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

MLB Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Castor27, Feb 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, but it was apparently worse than ever, according to Jones. The Redsox said a "few individuals," but apparently they mean "a few dozen," since about 30 people or more were told to leave.

:(

Jones seems like a class act, based on his comments but also his work in local Baltimore communities.
    Sigh. Sometimes it seems like we take two steps back.

2. HookemHorns1250

3. Buck Turgidson

Adam Jones is a great guy. Has been for years.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

5. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Rendon went 6 for 6 with 3 homers and 10 ribbies on Sunday. And Aaron Judge is just tearing it up for the Yankees. He hit two more bombs today to put him at 12 on the year and is now slashing .313/.424/.795 for a 1.219 ops. He reminds me of Giancarlo.

PanchoVilla3504 likes this.
  6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

No 2017 Discussion Thread?

Expect a fight during the BlueJays-Braves game tonight.

This series has featured gay slurs being thrown and player(s) being injured from HBPs.

Teams don't matchup again until 2020, so tonight is the last chance for a while.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

pretty sure Harper is just throwing his helmet aside like a hockey player throwing their gloves off

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I keep hearing its from Harper hitting 2 home runs off him in 2014 playoffs. Rly? Talk about holding a grudge.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Strickland suspended 6 games; Harper 4 games...

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...nts-washington-nationals-ken-rosenthal-053017

#270 J.R., May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
  11. Houstunna

Supporting Member

12. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

props to Volquez for the no no

J.R. likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

#273 J.R., Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Houstunna likes this.
  14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Approximately 599 of them came against the Astros (really it was only 55, which 2nd to the 56 he hit against the Cubs).

J.R. likes this.
  15. Houstunna

Supporting Member

16. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

http://www.chron.com/sports/astros/...ameson-Taillon-returns-to-majors-11212134.php

The good news is Jameson Taillon will return to the Pittsburgh Pirates rotation and on Monday start against the Colorado Rockies.

The better news is that means he beat cancer.

Taillon, a graduate of The Woodlands, missed almost six weeks after he was diagnosed with testicular cancer. The 25-year old pitcher underwent surgery on May 8.

"It has been an interesting process for everybody," Taillon said Saturday in a video posted by the Pirates' Twitter account. "It's not something we saw coming into my 2017 season...After this I really want to be a pitcher again. I just want to be a guy on the team making starts and doing my job."

Taillon had made three rehab starts since his surgery. He last started a major league game on May 3. In 35.1 innings over six starts for the Pirates this year, Taillon is 2-1 with a 3.31 ERA and 30 strikeouts.

Taillon made his pro debut with the Pirates' low-A affiliate West Virginia Power in April 2011. He debuted in the majors in 2016.

This year's fight against cancer was not the first health problem Taillon has had as a professional. In April 2014 he had Tommy John Surgery. A sports hernia caused him to miss the 2015 season.

Those setbacks helped him deal with his cancer scare. Taillon said he is in a good spot as he prepares to return to the Pirates on Monday.

"I'm pleased with where I'm at," Taillon said. "You just hope for any good news when you get back. You're able to throw and once you're able to throw you keep getting good news. I got on the bullpen mound and once I threw some good bullpens I was ready for rehab.

"Truly, that one step at a time deal really rings true for me right now. All those steps added up and here I am."

http://nypost.com/2017/06/11/aaron-judge-is-obliterating-baseballs-and-stunning-baseball/

Aaron Judge is doing for the home run what Julius Erving once did for the dunk.

He is elevating the act, making you wonder if you have ever seen anything quite like it.

These are more than balls just clearing a fence. They have majesty, but also a touch of mythology; beauty, but also brutality. They go to left, center and right; long arcing pieces of art and fierce liners that all but scream with fury.

We are not only clocking them in total — 21 and counting now — but also in speed and distance. And perhaps best of all, in our imaginations as we wonder if we have ever seen anything like this before.

Judge’s at-bats are not to be missed, the most must-watch event in baseball right now — perhaps all of sports.

Before the Yankees devastated his pitching staff yet again Sunday en route to a 14-3 rout, Baltimore manager Buck Showalter kidded, “If they start letting me shift guys into the bleachers, then maybe I can get Judge out.”

Showalter might have to widen his scope. For Judge’s first of two homers Sunday cleared the left-field bleachers and was calculated by Statcast at 495 feet, which was the farthest a homer has traveled since Giancarlo Stanton’s 504-footer last Aug. 6.

It turned his teammates into Little Leaguers on the bench, their delirium and disbelief palpable. And after the game, it turned them into defense lawyers as they lobbied that the ball was definitely more than 500 feet, that Statcast had to be wrong, not taking into account where the ball would have landed had it not struck a reaching fan beyond the bleachers.

Brett Gardner said more than 500, CC Sabathia the same. At one point, Chris Carter, Chase Headley, Didi Gregorius, Matt Holliday and Austin Romine were collaboratively doing calculations as to the length of the bullpen, the bleachers, etc., to come up with the feet beyond the fence that the ball would have landed.

“If that is not more than 500, then no one is ever registering more than 500,” Holliday said.

Baseball is supposed to be hard, particularly hitting a round ball jetting toward you at high velocity with a round bat. Plus, you bat only every few innings and the other team can avoid throwing strikes. Yet, near daily Judge is making even seen-it-all players gawk and gasp and struggle for the right words to describe it all.

Judge hit the hardest ball of the season Saturday for a homer. He hit the farthest Sunday. He has the three hardest-hit homers this season and five of the six hardest-hit balls overall. His two-run, seventh-inning homer was a liner to right-center that “for most guys is a double in the gap or a one-hopper cut off by the outfielder for a single,” Gardner said. But with Judge’s might, it just kept going 402 feet. “It just comes off his bat differently,” Gardner added.

Judge is the main wrecking ball in a destructive Yankees offense that now has six players with double-digit homers and leads the majors in runs per game. The Yankees swept three games from Baltimore by a combined 38-8 and have scored eight or more runs in five straight games for the first time since July 6-13, 1956. Amazingly, Mickey Mantle did not play the first two games in that tear in a season when he won an MVP and the Triple Crown.

And, right now, Judge is Mantle. He went 4-for-4 Sunday with a walk and leads the AL in the Triple Crown categories, hitting .344 with 21 homers and 47 RBIs. He also has a .450 on-base percentage, .718 slugging percentage and 1.168 OPS. Those are Barry Bonds 2002-04 numbers. Which Holliday finds fitting because the veteran says Judge has the most efficient swing he has seen since Bonds.

And remember. This is a rookie. Who in a 2016 cameo struck out 42 times in 84 at-bats. When asked if he expected this, Judge said, “No, especially when I hit .170 [actually .179] last year.” Then Judge did what he always does, swerved the conversation away from him to teammates or the team. It is why he is so liked in his clubhouse. It is why he has kept perspective through the great start and Judge’s Chamber and growing fame.

“He is leading the league in All-Star votes, and if the MVP were voted on today, he’d win that, too,” Gardner said.

He has dominated 40 percent of a season in a way that no one could have seen coming, not off of last year, and really not even off the best of what he produced in the minors. Aaron Judge has played baseball at a higher level than anyone else in 2017 while taking the home run to the next level.

Houstunna likes this.
  17. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Astros-killer, but damn this is awesome. Top 10 All-Time RBI club.

[​IMG]

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

100 years. Woah

[​IMG]

20. J.R.

J.R. Member