1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Draft Class Extensions

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Oct 16, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

tldr:
    Pascal Siakam "needs" max to accept
    Buddy Hield offered 4 years, $90M; wants $110M
    Jaylen Brown offered 4 years, $80M; wants more

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-ra...lear-for-others-in-draft-class-180147606.html

It’s almost a certainty that emerging star Pascal Siakam and the Toronto Raptors will come to terms on an extension before Monday’s deadline for rookie-scale extension candidates.

The Cameroon native is the only player remaining from the 2016 NBA draft class considered to be a virtual lock to get a deal completed before the deadline, which is quite an accomplishment for the No. 27 overall pick.

However, in order to finalize the agreement between the two sides, a maximum contract offer will be required, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Philadelphia’s Ben Simmons and Denver’s Jamal Murray are the only players from the 2016 draft class who already have received five-year, $170 million max extensions.

Sharpshooter Buddy Hield — the sixth pick in 2016 — and the Sacramento Kings appear to be operating under a more strenuous discourse.

The 6-foot-4 guard, who scored a career-high 20.7 points per game last season while shooting 42.7 percent from beyond the arc, recently expressed a level of frustration with how negotiations are going.

"As a player, you want to have that trust that the franchise has your back, and we're just waiting for them to make a move and come to an agreement," Hield told the Sacramento Bee last week. "They're talking, but nothing is moving yet. Nothing has moved. I'm ready to make things happen, man. I want to make Sacramento my home. I'm ready to get this s--- done. I want to be here and if it doesn't happen, then things can go the other way."

The Kings have an offer for Hield on the table for four years and $90 million, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Hield and his agent, Brandon Rosenthal, are seeking a number closer to $110 million, sources said.

With the 2020 free-agent class expected to be weak in terms of star power, sources said Hield is prepared to bet on himself and play out the season to test the market as a restricted free agent next summer if Monday’s deadline passes without a deal in place.

The Kings re-signed forward Harrison Barnes in the offseason to a four-year, $85 million deal and franchise point guard De’Aaron Fox will command a max rookie-scale extension July 1. According to The Bee, the Kings also have reportedly offered swingman Bogdan Bogdanovic a max extension of four years and $51.4 million. He has until June 30 to sign or become a restricted free agent.

As the team’s leading scorer last season, Hield’s representation is encouraging management to open up the checkbook to keep a relatively young core together.

Jaylen Brown and the Boston Celtics are on similar footing.

the Celtics have extended the 6-foot-7 swingman an offer of four years and $80 million, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

But Brown believes in his ability to one day be a star and is pursuing a bigger offer, sources said. Next season the Celtics will have another major decision: figuring out if Jayson Tatum is worth the rookie-scale max.

Should the 22-year-old Brown go the restricted free-agency route, he could end up being one of the top players on the market in July. Whatever he decides to do, he seems content and at peace.

“It’s really not overwhelming me or ruling my thoughts,” he told the New York Times. “I know what type of talent I have. I’m confident in myself. I’m confident in my ability. It’s not something that’s keeping me up at night.”

Vivi likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Hield is 4 year younger, plays every game, scores more, shoots 7% higher from three and a fairly incredible 43% on 8 attempts overall, rebounds meaningfully more, assists more, had a much better Ortg and surprisingly a better DRtg then Eric Gordon.

Gordon got 3 years, $53 million = $18 per year
    The Hield offer of 4 years, $90 million = $22.5 per year (raises ignored)

Even though I think EG was slightly overpaid, if Hield is looking at recent comps, hard to argue with his approach. Klay got $38 per year. Middleton got $35.5 per year. His teammate, Barnes, who he is clearly better than, got $21 million per year. Brogdon got $21 per.

4 years, $105 makes sense to me.

da_juice likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do not pay anyone max, while the cap situation is in question, due to China.

You still get their RFA, and a lower cap means less competition in the open market, and higher Bird-rights raises become even more valuable in negotiations.

#3 heypartner, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Just realized that Jamal Murray got the full max, 5 year, $170 million extension.

If Jamal is better today than Hield, it's not by a ton. He is much younger though.

5. heypartner

I think it is safe to say Hield believes the Cousins trade has worked out for the Kings.
    Now they have to keep him.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

hakeem94 and Vivi like this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

Solid deal, and while it would’ve made sense to wait to see how Siakam performs, he was the hero in the finals and proved himself big time during the whole playoffs. Hope it pays off for both parties.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's hard to consider the Siakim deal crazy when Harrison Barnes just got his second big deal. That said, I'd not be excited about having max dollars committed to him. He's really really good but they're going to need him to make Giannis style leaps to ever be a contender again during his contract.

da_juice likes this.
  9. heypartner

I guess that is estimated max salary? What if the cap really does drop by 10-15%? Do these negotiated extensions drop to the new max?

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Buddy told no lies...they paid Barnes, and he’s better than him, so they better give Buddy the bag too

markets like Sac will never get high level free agents, so losing 1 of their best guys can be devestating...Fox will be watching to see if they’re letting guys go because they can’t afford to pay them

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi likes this.
  12. omgTHEpotential

Buddy Hield will turn 27 in a couple of months. Vlade needs to take into account that whatever amount he's going to offer Hield, it's going to be for an already finished product who might even start declining halfway through that contract.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

1-1: Ben Simmons: 5 years, $170M
    1-2 Brandon Ingram: No extension
    1-3 Jaylen Brown: 4 years, $115M
    1-4 Dragan Bender: (FA)Minimum deal with Bucks
    1-5 Kris Dunn; No extension
    1-6 Buddy Hield: 4 years, $86M
    1-7 Jamal Murray: 5 years, $170M
    1-8 Marquese Chriss: (FA)Minimum deal with Warriors
    1-9 Jakob Pöltl: No extension
    1-10 Thon Maker: No extension