1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[2016-2017] Jeremy Lin as a Brooklyn Net

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2016.

1. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

I dunno...who is his mother?

2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I dunno but I'll be his dadddyyyyyyy

3. mig0s

mig0s Member

Hi Daddy

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Correct, Lin is either hot or not. He may help you win a game, but then causes you to lose the next. This is called inconsistent and it's the reason teams dump him and never look back.

And in game 6, Lin shot 30% from the field and 17% from 3pt land. If he made just one extra shot, we win that game. So he lost game 6 for us.

Either way, dude is long gone. I hate that we still have non-Rockets fans pumping this guy up on here. Dude has been gone for years. He's on his 3rd team post-Rockets. Seriously, go get on a Hornets website or something...

Zboy likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's admitted to joining the Hornets site, Rockets site, 2 Lakers sites.
    They don't infest one at a time, they infest all

6. don grahamleone

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/linje01/gamelog/2013/

Check out Lin's first playoffs with the Rockets. We lose all 4 games he plays in while he shoots 25% from the field. We win both games where he was benched. Dude had his best game of that playoffs, shot under 50% and had 7 whole points. Amazing performer. I wonder if he'll join T-Mac in the hall one day?

Zboy likes this.
  7. don grahamleone

That's not enough web sites. They need to join a Knicks site, a Warriors site and a Brooklyn site too. The one that really really makes sense to me would be Brooklyn. Those folks probably actually want to see Lin do well. We just don't care. We know he's a failure here. We have 2 years of proof that are only aided by 2 playoff series where he **** the bed. I'm just glad he never had that mohawk in Houston. I don't think I could watch full games on TV with a guy that's more concerned with his hair than the ball. Dude is a joke.

Zboy likes this.
  8. yoeddy

lol! Game 6, he left the court with a lead and less than a second left. Helped keep Lillard scoreless in the 4th quarter up until then. Meanwhile, Beverley shoots 25%, scores 2 points...and Lin "lost game 6 for us"? "If he made just one extra shot, we win that game." You are funny!

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

lol! Game 6, where Airemy Lin was the worst player for the Rockets.

McHale's mistake was not benching Lin for the final play. His mistake was not benching him a lot earlier in the game.

Airemy was one of our best brickers in that game. 4-13 or something along that line.

Had Airemy Lin decided not to throw bricks after bricks, especially in the 4th quarter (they were not even close either, some really ugly bricks), we could have comfortably won that game. And this was after he threw away the other game for us because the scrub wanted to be a hero.

I still remember Rockets announcers yell out live on TV, "What is he doing??"

lol

No wonder Morey was itching to dump Airemy Lin's ass and even gave up a pick just to get rid of him.

#2949 Zboy, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Good post.

Not Hornets, Nets. He plays for the worst team in the league now lol...

Seriously though, how sad is that? We have Airemy fans trying to hype up a scrub and still trying to desperately earn love for their scrub hero that was disgracefully booted from the team seasons ago...

Get a better hero to vicariously live off of. One that is not a scrub. lol...

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

Insecure fan base
    If someone underneath the ocean said lin sucks they get a submarine to go say lin good!!!!!

12. don grahamleone

It's not meant to be funny, yoeddy. Lin was a real player for the Rockets and he really sucked. That's not a joke, he was bad. Really bad. Even if Bev is struggling, he still finds ways to help the team thru hard work on the court. If Lin isn't scoring at a decent percentage and he's on the court... you're ****ed. I don't see how his terrible play is so funny to you.

Zboy likes this.
  13. yoeddy

No, he did not suck and he wasn't bad, really bad. Was he a superstar? No. Did he have some bad games? Sure. He was a legitimate young PG for the Rockets and played whatever role the coaches felt he would contribute the most. There's a reason why they played him 28+ minutes per game even when he was coming off the bench...far more than most backup PGs get. Even in that Game 6, Bev only played 23 minutes vs. Lin's 32 minutes...so even the coaches saw that Lin was contributing more even though he wasn't scoring at a decent percentage.

To say that Lin "sucks" and is "really bad" is just a poor basketball assessment or simply based in a hatred for his fans. That's what I find funny...lol!

14. don grahamleone

He was terrible. We gave away a 1st round draft pick and a second rounder to get rid of him. This is because he really really sucked. No one wanted him so we had to pay to get him off the books. The Lakers probably regrets this move. How are two draft picks worth putting up with one of the biggest losers in the NBA? It's not. The Rockets won that trade by a landslide because we were far better without Lin.

Beverly and a first got us Chris Paul, an actual NBA talent. Evidence shows that Bev had value.

But the truth is, we won both those trades by a landslide.

Lin thought he was so important that he threw a twitter tantrum when we tried to get a player that wore his number. Really? Did he think he was on Melo's level? Lin is stupid on top of being terrible and so are you for defending an obvious failure who can't start for the worst team in basketball. Haha, he literally lost his starting spot on the Nets last year. Wow, great player, right? No, he's not even good. He's just in the NBA and he stays in the league because of the massive Harvard alum following he has. He mints money, which is cool, but it's funny because it has little to do with his skills on the court. He's never won a starting PG battle in the long run with any of his teams because he's weak. And that's not funny, it's sad.. just like you for following his failure of a career.

Zboy and vlaurelio like this.
  15. don grahamleone

https://www.forbes.com/sites/randal...e-the-dumbest-harvard-grad-ever/#2b65fad652e0
    Jeremy Lin May Be The Dumbest Harvard Grad Ever
    Sorry for the harsh headline, but I’m having a hard time coming up with any other conclusion. While I haven’t checked the Harvard core curriculum lately, it must surely be light on math, psychology and logic, and completely devoid of Marketing 101. How else to explain the self-destructive actions of its most famous basketball alum, Jeremy Lin, who has taken the global phenomenon known as Linsanity and doused it with kerosene.

After last night’s decision by the New York Knicks to let him walk to the Houston Rockets, almost all of the analysis has focused on Knicks owner Jim Dolan. He faced a vexing dilemma, given the back-loaded contract offer from the Houston Rockets that would have forced the Knicks to effectively pay $50 million for Lin’s services three years hence. (My friend Howard Beck of the New York Times provides a useful primer here.) How do you weigh Lin’s basketball and marketing potential against a very small sample set (he’s started all of 25 games in his career) and also against not just what he would be paid, but the larger ramifications of his contract down the line? Given that the adjectives associated with Dolan, backed up a dysfunctional track record, generally include illogical, vindictive, paranoid and dumb (and because I’m a lifelong Knicks fan, I’m being kind), he’s predictably being ripped apart.

In the end, though, I’m more fascinated by the choices Lin made. Dolan will be rich and reviled no matter what he does. Lin may have signed a big contract, but he also just provided the folks at Harvard Business School with a brilliant case study how to cost yourself millions of dollars and scads of influence when you’re not looking at the big picture.

To review, the point guard’s scrub-to-star rise in February – Linsanity! -- has arguably been the best sports story of the year, played out on one of the biggest stages, Madison Square Garden. But the NBA’s complicated labor rules forced Lin to shop around his services in order to maximize his next contract with the Knicks. At first, he did so brilliantly, according to numerous reports, originally getting Houston to offer him roughly $5 million for his first two years of his contract (the maximum anyone was allowed), and then a $9 million balloon in the third year, with a team option for a fourth.

Various Knicks sources, including their coach, playing poker as deftly as a late-night drunk at Circus Circus, announced that they would match it, and that was presumably that. A global marketing machine would remain in the global marketing capital, as had been his goal all along, Lin just told Sports Illustrated.

And this where Lin flunked miserably. After the clumsy Knicks showed their hand, Lin and Houston agreed to add another $5 million to his guaranteed salary in third year – a true poison pill, since that extra $5 million would cost the Knicks an extra $20 million or so, courtesy of the NBA’s punitive new luxury tax, atop the effective $30 million bite they had already internalized.

I get why Houston did it. But why did Lin, as an equal party to the new offer, go along? I can only offer two theories:

Financial Certainty: With the revised offer, Lin guaranteed himself an extra $5 million in his pocket, three years from now. That’s serious scratch for a man who had been sleeping on his brother’s couch earlier this year. And given legitimate worries that he was way overperforming during his magical 25 game coming out, taking the sure thing now makes some sense.

But why structure it in a way so punitive to New York? If it was all about certainty, Lin could have instead tried to guarantee that fourth year (or even a fifth year). At $9 million per, that’s way more downside protection, yet spreading it out in a way that didn’t push the Knicks toward the fiscal cliff.

As for the upside, forcing the Knicks to even consider ending his tenure in New York is the truest definition of Linsanity. If Lin is even 80% as good as he showed in flashes last season, fronting a very good, very hyped Knicks team had the potential to bring him tens of millions in endorsements. But as Steve Herz, who cuts celebrity endorsement deals as president of IF Management previously told my colleague Tom Van Riper: “Lin leading the Charlotte Bobcats back to respectability wouldn’t be that interesting. It’s not something that Coca-Cola is going to play $10 million for.”

Insert “Houston Rockets” into that sentence, and you get Lin’s new reality. Rather than the golden boy on an obsessed-over team in the world’s media capital, he’s now an above-average player on a below-average team in a low-profile city.

Yes, Yao Ming made the Rockets popular in China. It’s another reason why Houston made a smart move here. But it doesn’t do much for Lin.

Ego: If you believe “sources close to Lin,” he was offended that the Knicks didn’t court him pro-actively (ignoring the fact that the way the system was set up, they needed to let someone else make an offer if he wanted more money). Compounding matters, when he sent out a Tweet trying to clarify, Lin said that such blind item stories are “probably not” true – the kind of squishy response that conjures the classic celebrity “I’m sorry if anyone was offended” apology.

Others have posited that he wanted to be the go-to guy on his team, versus share with ball hog Carmelo Anthony and the rest of the star-laden Knicks.

Even speculation in these areas damages Lin’s brand. People didn’t fall in love with Lin because he was a star player. They loved him because he’s an underdog, he was humble and he won. The choice he just made, amid the circus he helped create, undermines all of those attributes.

Last night, as I watched SportsCenter, the anchors declared these developments as the formal “end of Linsanity.” But it’s more accurate to say that Jeremy Lin sold it for a $5 million note three years from now – a monumentally foolish price for a brand that could have been golden.

slothy420, Zboy and tinman like this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

The whole existence of the Lin Fan is insecurity .
    They are insecure about his basketball abilities and accomplishments.

For us Rockets fans, there will be Knicks fans who claim that Ewing is better than Hakeem.
    That's ok, we're secure in the fact that they are wrong and it's a waste of time for us to join a Knicks board to tell a Knicks fan that.

If Lin joins 20 teams and 20 fanbases think he sucks, they will join 20 plus boards just because they are insecure .

don grahamleone and Zboy like this.
  17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Fantastic post, Don.

In a Lakers fan poll, Jeremy Lin was pretty much dead last in the players that Lakers fans wanted to keep.

Think about it. To be in the bottom of the pile in that scrub roster.

LOL. Yea, Airemy Lin sicks.

It's hilarious watching LOFs like yoeddy spending time on all the other team's basketball sites to try to convince them otherwise.

To spend time on Rockets forum is especially funny because we have all seen Airemy suck it up for us. Thats why were were all glad when he was finally dumped. We are even happy to lose the pick for him lol...

#2957 Zboy, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  18. don grahamleone

Here's a visual representation of how valuable he is:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lin is no longer the underdog. He's a millionaire whiner. Be better than Jeremy as a human being and I hope you make more money than him as well. He clearly could have made tons more if he were smart as outlined by Forbes. Or do you think the people at Forbes just hate Lin too like we do?

Zboy likes this.
  19. yoeddy

"No one wanted him" for $15M. Yes, this is true. Lin was not a $15M/year player (given the salary cap at that time). He did not "suck". He was simply not a $15M player. He was easily a $5M/yr player, and more likely a $8M player. If Lin's contract was $8M in that last year, no way the Rockets would not get something in return for him in a trade. Understand?

"We traded Patrick Beverley for Chris Paul!" ...without acknowledging the fact that they had to give up 6 other players plus a draft pick and cash in that trade too? And yes...Patrick Beverley had a $5M/year contract...peanuts given today's salary cap. Are you really that ignorant about how trades work? Smh...you are too funny!!

MDA is a better talent evaluator than you, as are Steve Clifford and Kenny Atkinson. All three have called Lin a very good player. Kevin McHale said he had "two starting-calibre PGs", gave him 28min/game off the bench and has since said that Lin has become an even better player. You've got Byron Scott to support your argument, but Byron was a tank-commander idiot.

20. yoeddy

Hmmm...signing the only contract offered to you is dumb? And you are saying that the Knicks weren't the idiots here? Knicks could have signed Lin for a tiny contract WAY before he became a FA, but they said "go test FA and see what you get...and we'll match". This might be the dumbest article you guys have posted about Lin yet...