1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016/2017 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Raz

Raz Member

Bundesliga schedule is out. Bayern will open the season on Aug 18 at home against Leverkusen.

>> FULL SCHEDULE <<

Yung-T likes this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

3. Raz

Raz Member

Don't like that cheap strategy, to be honest, Hoeneß is leading the club back to the darker last decade with useless guys like Rensing, Kraft, Lell, Ottl and Altintop, just because he wouldn't spend money on quality acqusitions. We can't go back to the days where we accept weak players in our squad - Rudy might just be the beginning and Gnabry obviously isn't there either.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Feel like it's the only way we can really keep up in the future, with the German market making it impossible to compete with the financial power of English and Spanish teams.

Don't think we'll go back to the Ottl, Lell days, as transfers like Tolisso show that we're still willing to pay a good amount for elite talent, while guys like Gnabry and Süle are huge prospects.

The youth transfers for the 2nd unit and the new infrastructure are also showing how the club is doing this in a very strategic way and aiming at organic growth.

Know it will take years, but this approach seems to be much better than trying to financially compete with the silly transfers we're seeing nowadays.

5. Raz

Raz Member

I don't think we need to panic when it comes to competing with English and Spanish teams. No Premier League team is anywhere near Bayern and only Real is ahead right now - but we are all aware of how that quarter final went down and if we don't get drawn to Madrid so early, there's a good chance we make it to the final.

Transfers like Rudy didn't occur when Hoeneß was in jail, so I'm worried now that he's back, that he sticks with his FC Bayern Deutschland dream that might keep us up in the Bundesliga each year but won't be enough in the CL.

I'm cool with bringing over guys like Goretzka and Brandt and give them minutes to develop, but we also have to be courageous and try to sign top stars.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I don't see them competing in the CL, my point is about the transfer fees and salaries being inflated to a point where Bayern can't match other offers.

Guys like Sanchez, Verratti, Mbappe could've probably been realistic transfers just two years ago, but now you have to pay 65mil plus horrible wages, it would destroy the whole salary mix of our team and also be a huge risk.

Heck, Real bought 16yr old Vinicius for 61mil, a guy that only played for Flamengo's youth squad before. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

Raz likes this.
  7. Raz

Raz Member

Agree here, indeed getting ridicolous. But I don't expect especially the English teams to be able to continue like this for five or ten years, the way they continue to lock out normal fans. Think we had that discussion before.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Hopefully, although I'd assume TV money and marketing are more important to them, especially with Asia's growing market.

9. Raz

Raz Member

Market will be oversaturated sooner or later and I expect football to lose track to eSports with the next generation.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Next decades will be interesting, I definitely don't want to see eSports overtake traditional sports though.

Sucks to see so many empty pitches nowadays, kids don't go outside enough. Football was huge in my small town and you basically had to fight to play on the pitch, now all of them are empty 99% of the time. Hearing the same from other people.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

what the hell is esports? and wouldn't people still want to watch games tho?

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

eSports is competitive console/pc gaming, mostly with shooters, League of Legends, Dota, sports games etc.
    There are huge tournaments nowadays, broadcasted all over the world and with a ton of prize money.

Jontro likes this.
  14. Raz

Raz Member

I can also confirm. Not the same in my town since I was a kid. One of the many reasons why I'm sure that eSports will take over.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Ismaik has now officially started a lawsuit against 50+1, this will be interesting.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

German U21 just won the title, hell of a match and great pressing.

Half of the eligible guys aren't even in the tournament, crazy how we're still rocking this and are in the final of the Confed Cup as well, all without most of our tier 1 players.

17. Raz

Raz Member

Great win and a very mature team! Last U21 European Championship was with Neuer, Hummels, Boateng and Khedira. So we might see the next big thing here. Looking at Stark, Arnold, Meyer, Philipp and maybe Weiser and Gnabry. Eight of eligible players at the Confed Cup, three major guys (Tah, Sané, Weigl) injured. Still the champ! This talent pool... wow...

But what an ugly trophy. Looks like some kind of blender.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1278 daywalker02, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

my blender looks better than that.

[​IMG]

won it as a trophy from the caribbean tropical cup.

Raz and Yung-T like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member