1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 MLB Postseason

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ItsMyFault, Oct 4, 2015.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Wellp. Postseason is set.

NL

Cubs @ Pirates WC

NLDS

Mets vs. Dodgers (Dodgers with home field advantage)

Cubs/Pirates vs. Cardinals (Cardinals with home field advantage)

AL

Astros @ Yankees WC

ALDS

Rangers @ Blue Jays (Blue Jays with home field advantage)

Astros/Yankees vs. Royals (Royals with home field advantage)

2. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Cubs vs Pirates should be an epic WC game. Two great pitchers duel.

3. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

World might explode if the Cubs make the WS & win it.........

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Mets/Dodgers is pretty cool... A lot of old brooklyn fans are still Dodgers fans, and this was passed on to their kids. They never accepted that new expansion Mets team (that's now been around for 50 years!).

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Last time the Astros went to the World Series, they got in after being the wild card. :eek: REPEAT! It can be done! It's a whole new season!

6. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I feel better about a Royals series than I do vs. the Blue Jays (atleast at first)

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

You tell 'em Joe about Game 163!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Maddon on1-and-done WC: &quot;the most fun and no fun at the same time. Best of 3 would be the fairest thing to do.&quot;</p>&mdash; Gordon Wittenmyer (@GDubCub) <a href="https://twitter.com/GDubCub/status/651454939236028417">October 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cubs?src=hash">#Cubs</a> Maddon wants best-of-3 wildcard. &quot;Only time one-and-done is fun is when you win it.&quot; <a href="http://t.co/rSzqszmx9c">pic.twitter.com/rSzqszmx9c</a></p>&mdash; Rob Biertempfel (@BiertempfelTrib) <a href="https://twitter.com/BiertempfelTrib/status/651454921582227456">October 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Joe Maddon, on facing <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Pirates?src=hash">#Pirates</a> in one-and-done gamed: We won 97, they won 98, neither one of us can believe we're in a Wild Card game.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cubs?src=hash">#Cubs</a></p>&mdash; Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) <a href="https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/651454941064769536">October 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

All of the analysts are picking the Cubs.

I guess the Pirates, a team that's been in this position before and with an equally dominant ace pitcher, are just chopped liver. Good to know!

Either way, it's going to be a great game. Literally a coin toss.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Someone is gonna end the drought. Except the Cardinals

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Last WS title for teams still alive: STL (2011), TOR (1993), LAD (1988), NYM (1986), KC (1985), PIT (1979), CHC (1908), TEX/HOU (never).</p>&mdash; Mark Zuckerman (@ZuckermanCSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZuckermanCSN/status/651612377465647104">October 7, 2015</a></blockquote>

10. ItsMyFault

Not sure why the Cubs are favored so much and why the analysts are picking us to win, but Arrieta and Cole have not been equally dominant. If they are tomorrow, that's fine. But as of today, Arrieta has been arguably the best pitcher in the league this year.

11. Nook

Nook Member

In a 5-7 game series I would take the Pirates (possibly the best team in baseball) but it is hard to go against Jake Arrieta and his .75 era in the second half of the season.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Those two pitchers in LA have been a little better.... but Jake is very good too.

13. ItsMyFault

You can argue advanced stats with Kershaw being the most dominant. Greinke really only has era on him and maybe one other stat. I'd say Jake's been better than Greinke at the very least. And it's probably arguable between him and Kershaw. Not sure who's going to win the Cy Young, but all three are deserving.

14. baller4life315

Arrieta's numbers are incredible, but obviously there's more to it than that.

He's having a breakout year at age 30. He's brand new to this whole "elite" thing. We'll see tomorrow night if he has the stones for the big time.

Cole has been outstanding throughout his entire [young] career. Bring it.

15. ItsMyFault

Arrieta had elite numbers last season too. Cole has played in 2 more postseason games than him and has pitched well in them so he does have the advantage there. I'm just going by what Arrieta has done as of late.

Personally I see the Cubs losing because of the bats. The Pirates are just much better in that dept. even against a guy like Arrieta. Not to mention, our bullpen is pretty shaky while the Pirates pen has been pretty solid all year.

Polanco-Marte-Cutch is a combo that the Cubs just can't match. I actually think the Aramis acquisition was probably the most underrated acquisition around the trade deadline. Of course it's baseball though and anything can happen, but I wouldn't bet against the Pirates bats if it's a close game late, especially at PNC. They've been pretty good there all year.

1 person likes this.
  16. baller4life315

Well, that was pretty much the most humble response on the planet. Definitely makes me hate Cubs fans a little less. ;)

It's going to be a great game. Like I said: a coin toss. Best of luck to you guys.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

But that's none of my business... :grin:

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Arrieta would be my NL Cy Young. I'd take him over Cole.

Rizzo/Bryant/Schwarber is a very formidable offensive trio, and I'd take that over what the Pirates have.

Pirates do have the edge in bullpens and defense. Figures to be a good game.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

3-0 already. Pirates fighting a tough uphill climb.

20. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

The game's over. Cubs win.