1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#20 Washington State vs Houston

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Fulgore, Sep 12, 2019.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Wow. 3rd and 8, they load the box, and still can;t stop 'em on the run. Story of the night. Missed opportunities all night long. King's inaccuracy is a sore point, but the good news there will be a new qb next year who can hopefully make the plays. Although the defensive strategy ultimately backfired into a loss, it was nice to see a strategy employed based on actual data prior to, and during the game.

Jturbofuel and Poloshirtbandit like this.
  2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Coogs 0-0 in the AAC. Need some polishing, but I see potential. Got to figure out how to get a pass rush. Can you imagine what DeShaun Watson would do the with the kind of time they gave Gordan tonight?

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  3. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if we had of made that interception on the 5 yard line. Immediately after WSU drove the ball the length of the field and pretty much put the game away. BTW who is our new QB coming next year?

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, it would have been nice to come out with the W tonight, but much bigger things are a happening. So long have we waited for a sustainable return to glory....It's always been a matter of time.

Dana's got this the rest of the way.. After all these years....a beautiful thing to behold.

Eat em Up!

YOLO, raining threes and Pat like this.
  5. DreamRoxCoogFan

Can you shed more light on your positive outlook for the future? Why do you think Dana will change things? I hope you're right.

I'm somewhat disappointed with us so far. Defense is a mess, King has largely been pedestrian with occasional flashes of brilliance, and we can't tackle. Understand that he wasn't given a lot to work with, but I was expecting better. Even against PVAMU we looked bad

6. Aware

Aware Member

I think we've looked ok. The defense was always going to be bad, but at least we sorta look like we have an idea unlike last season. With the exception of some skill positions, we dont have much talent.

Things should get better with dana locked in for the long haul.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Disappointing outcome but at least no blowout.

Hope we're working towards greater things.

8. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I thought we had a good plan, but its become obvious that King does not fit this offense and we are having to do things DH doesn't like to do to move the ball.

9. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let me take a stab at it.
    Culture seems step one. Dana not accepting moral victories, said we were not good enough to win. Coaches games to win (Q4 at OU an on sides kick and pass on FG for TD) rather than to look good. Benching/slightly playing Cortney Lark, apparently for poor practice/attitude or something. Willingness to red shirt seniors/anybody. Benched the guy for that awful after dead ball late hit.

In terms of play I see down field blocking for the first time in 2 years. Receivers go hard even if they are not in the play. Go for it on 4th down. I think our tackling is much better. Yes, they do miss a lot of tackles but when we hit them we stop them. Last year we gave up 1-2 yards on the tackle itself - seems they always fell forward.

But I do agree with your post. Defense is a mess and going to get worse as depth is a major problem. Injury aside taht is why second halfs have been so bad. We have not seen the disruptive defense we were expecting. King has missed MANY open receivers, but his run game looked good for the first time. PV was our worst game. Not even the score, just the way we played.

Maybe it is glass half full, but I feel like there is reason to believe improvement is possible. Last year I was wondering why the frickty frack I bought season tickets. This year I feel like we are 0-0 in conference and should compete. OU is out of our league!

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

They are clearly an overall better coached team than they were a year ago. Having said that, I agree that King may have been a better fit in the old offense. He just seems off. The ball control ability, and willingness to run some clock, should help the defense stay fresh, so that gives me hope that they will be stronger in the second half of most games going forward. They’re going to get better. I like the direction they are heading. They may not get back to where they were under Tom Herman, but they will be better than they were under Major Applewhite.

11. MystikArkitect

UH is Exhibit A as to why some college athletes should get paid. Greg Ward and Ed Oliver made Herman and Applewhite look like absolute geniuses. The outfall of their play got Holgorsen a 3 million dollar deal.

One is a starter on the Bills. The other a fringe NFL player.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Think I'm for the athletes getting paid as much as possible. Who really cares if they all go to Notre Dame or USC. They all going there anyway. They certainly earn the money by driving financial outcomes. You can charge them admission, lol. If that ends the NCAA when the NFL Starts sucking in the players early does it really matter. It's just change. And times are changin.