1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1st Impression of Harden and Westbrook Sharing the Court Together

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

thought this was an interesting video with observations of Russ and Harden on the court together during the 1st 2 games of preseason

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

keep an eye on WB in spot-up position doing a catch-n-attack vs catch-n-shoot, from passes by Harden.

We've yet to see one in the first two games (whereas, House has, Gordon does, and Luc did). But he sure is pushing the ball in transition.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

I didn't come away encouraged after watching.

Westbr(ick)ook gonna tear the paint off the rims.

#3 J.R., Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  4. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

MDA is going to have to get really creative this year to maximize Westbrook's impact. For the first time in years Harden will starting and closing games with 2 non-shooters on the court. When Russ does not have the ball it looks like having him spot up in the corner is the best option. He shoots his highest % from the corners and he can cut to the basket. He will probably get a few lobs from James in those situations. I know Russ's 3 point shooting %'s but i still cringe every time i see them.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Opening night can't get here fast enough.

5. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

I seen the video yestetday on yt ,best way to maximize when both are on court is to run p n roll with russ and clint and put james at the 3 because he can actually make them.Hes so fast that people go to help on defense because of Russ ability to break down the defense ,Now when Russ is off ball its better to put him at the right corner three last year he shot around 41% from there and shot around 29% at above the break 3 ,this year in preseason hes shooting around 27% with all his 3s above the 3 point break .

jcmoon likes this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

MDA keeps advocating for a faster pace and Harden keeps doing the walk it slow . This has to be sorted out first. 2nd concern is if Harden will run when Westbrook has the ball.

smp, Arnaud, CometsWin and 5 others like this.
  7. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Not liking what I've seen so far. Russ holds the ball too often on the catch a la Melo. He needs to watch how decisive House is when playing off ball. House either goes up for the shot, or pump-and-drives. I agree with what I've heard in this thread about Russ in the weakside corner when Harden is up top.

There are two more wrinkles I'd like to see more of.
    1) Russ setting the screen for Harden up top with Russ playing the Draymond Green role, going 4-on-3 with a head of steam. If the defense tries to switch Harden will have the smaller guard on him, which should be barbeque chicken.
    2) Russ setting off ball screens for House/Gordon/Rivers trying to pop out for threes. He should have some decent chances to sneak back door on botched coverages.

Relativist and BaselineFade like this.
  8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

9. theimpossibles1

Russ is garbage.

Garbage.

10. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

I have yet to see Harden have great chemistry with another star. He always says he'll play more off-ball at the beginning of the partnership, but it rarely happens. First Howard, then Christ Paul, and now the early signs of this. Maybe there's something there...

GermanRoxFan, CometsWin and cheke64 like this.
  11. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

not gone even lie so far I'm not liking it its not only russ pj hasn't look good and neither has clint

amaru and BasketMAD like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I really dislike our opening night matchup though..

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean Rockets had a 65 win season when CP3 was playing at a high level.

amaru, Williamson, lionaire and 7 others like this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I won't be saying too much about it until about December.

D-rock, B-Bob, Amel and 1 other person like this.
  16. Rochut

Rochut Member

I agree with this. I would add that Westbrook with MDA green light can easily just become Westbrook the chucker. That will lose is efficiency and games in a meangful way if allowed to happen.

17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well they definitely look terrible together. Hopefully it's just preseason and this isn't any real indicator.

AroundTheWorld and RocketRed84 like this.
  18. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

It's definitely not an ideal matchup for opening night. I think it's a good early test.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Westbrook is similar to Melo last year.

Big name who’s added just because he’s a big name, but doesn’t provide many of the things the Rockets need or fit with.

Let’s hope it’s just preseason...

tycoonchip, subtomic and KelvinCato13 like this.
  20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

It took drexler and dream about 20 games when they got back together to start to get it going again

B-Bob, WestendMassive and BigShasta like this.