1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#17 Houston(Pursuit of NY6 Bowl) vs SMU

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Fulgore, Oct 31, 2018.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

I would blame the loss on Briles. They played the numbers game in the first half, which is fine, run if a handful in the box, but when it's not working, and you have more talent, you should be dictating play or at least trying to dictate play with what you do well. And he couldn't let go. I hope that is a lesson learned.

On defense we were pathetic. But without Oliver I'm willing to live with it. The defense hasn't been the smartest, often times looking to the sidelines when the ball is being snapped, but feel like this was on the offense. I mean 80% ineffective runs makes no sense for the #2 offense in the nation.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Is the game over or still delayed?

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lightning delay I believe.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Thunderstorm delay. Not even God can believe what is happening and put the game on pause.

5. 9baller

9baller Member

It looks to me like Houston will still have the inside track to come out of the West division, even with a loss tonight. If they can win the American, they just might get that NY6 bowl.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

The season was more or less dead after Texas Tech, but they really should have won this game. I figured our WR would lose a game or two with stone hands anyway, but not now, not in SMU.

7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

All around awful effort

8. Buck Turgidson

You lose to 1 real team, then you run all over your little conference kiddies, then you get rolled by an SMU-type team, then you complain about not being taken seriously by the real teams?

Is that what you're getting at?

9. Nook

Nook Member

In their conference they need to run the table to finish in the top 10. They were 7-1 and not ranked (although they should have been), so they have a tiny margin for error.

Very likely to have UT, UH and TAMU unranked by the end of the weekend.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

You can't have Mark D'Onforio as a DC and not expect to lose at least 3 or 4 games a year purely due to your defense ******** the bed.

Tomstro likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

TT and SMU...this would have been a great time for yall to schedule TCU and Nort..no, not them this year.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Yet all I hear from inside is that his job is very safe right now. Not a UH graduate but I follow them because of personal relationships and there is a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball. No excuses.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Not a UH graduate, just very close with a few that make decisions within the school. I root for them for that reason and because I believe they have been shafted in the past after the SWC fell apart.

The schedule they have played isn’t THAT terrible.

Honestly college football in the state overall has been an embarrassment of underachievement for a long time.

14. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

The defense is what it is, but the offensive play-calling was horrendous. Travis Bush stupid. You're down by three scores, you have been successful passing all season , and you decide to commit to the dive or off-tackle type running game. What?

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

When you're holding on to TCU to be the best program in the state, and that's no slam on TCU at all, but you have problems. UT will be back I think. TT is TT, UH should be in the Big12, the Baylor rape implosion was not foreseen by anyone outside of Waco...

I'm just waiting for the massive realignment that is inevitably coming.

Nook likes this.
  16. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Still wondering who is responsible for the offensive play calling. This game killed our season. We had everything to play for. We had just entered the top 25 for the first time all year and only 2 days later, we got left off the more important playoff top 25. That in itself should have been enough motivation to come out with an effort on both sides of the ball to show those that thought we were not good enough to be listed in the playoff top 25. Well, I guess they were right. We were favored by more than 2 touchdowns and let a 3-5 below average football team come out and run all over us as if they were one of the top teams in the country. We are bowl eligible and will end up the year playing in an obscure bowl somewhere against a less than desirable opponent. This season could have been much more. Unfortunately due to poor coaching you can stick a fork in it. It's done.

Tomstro and J.R. like this.
  17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Who’s complaining. Fans are just pissed at the terrible effort yesterday. The Coogs are not a good football team. Nobody is in denial about that.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

it was our worst offensive game of the season, and we still scored 31 points.

Kendall is due a mulligan. D'Onofrio should not have a job when he finally completes the walk home from Dallas.

19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Applewhite rarely has the team prepared to play. He’s not a good coach. Briles, on the other hand, is an incredibly gifted offensive mind. What happened with the play calling yesterday defies logic. My guess? King was either not 100 percent, or they overcompensated for the strong winds and weather by becoming over reliant upon the running game. As for the defense? No excuses. Unacceptable.

Nook likes this.
  20. PhiSlammaJamma

I was miffed at the play action calls in the 4th Qtr. Down 20 something and thinking that playaction would actually accomplish anything. Yes. We had run the ball. But unsuccessfully and down 20, who cares on the SMU side. It was just all upside down and made no sense. I don't mind losing, but at least lose with some reasonable rationale for what u did.