1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

150,000 American Children & Adults Are Now Survivors of School Shootings

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Feb 15, 2018.

1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I don't trust slate.

There has also been fake news going around about 18 school shootings this year.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Is this better?

A gun has been fired on school property 18 times this year. Mass murder, suicide, misses and accidents are among the incidents.

3. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Honestly yes. sensationalized titles to get emotion out of people are nothing but yellow journalism.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

These people have some unresolved grudge, against specific individuals or the world as a whole; notoriety is not the primary motivator. The argument to not give them attention is really just a convoluted complaint about your specific boredom.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This is horrible. The number is eye-opening.

7. Roscoe Arbuckle

Gun ownership has actually gone down over the past 40 years. If there was a correlation to the US increasing guns & school shootings, I'd be right there with you with gun control.

But the fact is that we all, as kids, in the 50s through 80s had the same access to the same guns these kids have these days, if not moreso. I stole my Dad's rifle for a day as a teen because I was a dumbass who was trying to impress dumb teen friends. That outlier hasn't changed much, and has actually gone down.

There is a REAL issue here, but gun control simply doesn't hold water. Actually, I blame Hollywood & "Basketball Diaries." That movie glorified it so much that Columbine happened, and it's been copycat ***** ever since.

Look, I've been a F*ck up in my life; Pretty sure nobody would argue with that, but this a different level. I don't believe in conspiracies so I truly hope these aren't staged for more gun restrictions, but here we are again.

To the gun control folk: What in your head thinks that gun restrictions will help? At least be honest & say you want a gun ban; at least that makes you sound somewhat rational. I disagree, but I can accept that argument.

I'm not sure we can call this necessarily a "mental health" issue, but there is definitely something bad going down in our society where kids want to die "infamously." (****, if I were going out, I'd at least try an awesome bank robbery. School is preying on the weak; another BIG issue here)

I have to blame my generation. We were the ones who raised these children who are so inept at socialization and so enamored by media sensationalization that they are willing to copycat this over & over again.

We, as a Nation of Millennial idiots, have to pull a Walter Cronkite & refuse to publicise this. If your kid gets killed, that is horrible, but I don't need to know the details.

Quit giving these kids ammunition. They're all about going down in infamy, and we keep allowing it.

#27 Roscoe Arbuckle, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The lethality, cost, and easy access to these weapons is absolutely a factor in these mass shootings. The ability to kill many people quickly and from a distance makes the AR15 the favored weapon of mass killers.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. Roscoe Arbuckle

I like you, kid. But nothing has changed in gun acquisition in the US in our lifetimes.

I have never owned a gun, so understand I'm doing my argument from a pure 2nd Am. thing.

The AR-15 is a huge misnomer. It is a demi-auto that can be transitioned legally (or typically) illegally into a fully auto.

My point has always been, I know the illegal gun market. The extremely harsh legal restricions? People (who whould otherwise get them legally?) Get them illegally.

I know a family member of mine that tries to do things by the book, but at the end of the day, if he doesn't like it, he goes his way. To be fair, he's purchased several hundreds of acres to raise cows and has a fail-safe on BVI. He's a great fail-Safe: Actually, my family has always been there for each other. Meh; not about this post, but still cool in the back of my mind while I'm posting.

Gun isn't always on time.

10. Roscoe Arbuckle

And if we're doing MTV?

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

violence (including gun violence) has been declining for decades

problem with schools is that they are known soft targets

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's more important that I have the ability to buy a weapon capable of mowing down 50 people in a minute then to worry about protecting millions of children. If some kids have to get shot everyday, so be it - it's worth the sacrifice for my big fat gun! God bless the 2nd Amendment!!!!!!!

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This will be a non-topic in another week. Just watch.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There were 6,199,997,753 survivors of 9/11 worldwide....haunting.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No matter your politics, you only have the following options when considering mass shootings here versus elsewhere:

• our citizens are, on average, more prone to severe and violent mental illness.
    • our laws and regulations are deficient or flawed.
    • our national culture has an inherent flaw, compared to most others.
    • some combo of the above.

I would vote for combo platter.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Access to deadly weapons is more than ever. These school shooters are not buying their guns on the black market. It's stupid to give anyone the ability to buy a weapon that can be used to kill dozens of people in seconds.

There is a reason we outlaw bombs, missiles, tanks and other weapons that can kill masses. And we are giving this kind of weapon to people who are not sane.

I have no desire to take a gun away from a responsible law-abiding SANE citizen. I just want the country to do a much better job of ensuring that guns - especially the kind capable of killing 20 people in a minute - are sold in a way that keeps in mind that the public is vulnerable to such weapons.

Having a license that you obtain that requires evaluation of past criminal or psychiatric behavior, of threats made and such is perfectly rational. Why would a legitimate gun owner be against this???

Most people don;t want to take guns away from people, they just want to stop nut cases getting them.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Self fulfilling prophecy.

Things become non issues when we give up. "That's just the way Hollywood works"

There's a moral and ethical imperative here to not give up and to remind those who are accessories to this of their role in it.

Even if they use Russian Twitter memes to erase their guilt away, it's imperative to remind them of the shame they can't feel so that we don't lose it.