1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

150,000 American Children & Adults Are Now Survivors of School Shootings

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Feb 15, 2018.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

How in the actual **** is this a thing? What the hell is wrong with us?

For a staggering number of Americans under 40, however, it doesn’t require any leap of the imagination at all. According to an analysis conducted by the Washington Post earlier this month, more than 150,000 Americans have experienced a shooting on campus since Columbine in 1999. After Wednesday’s rampage at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, you can add 3,000 more kids to that list. Together, America’s school shooting survivors would make up a city the size of Savannah, Georgia or Syracuse, New York. A whole city knowing the trauma of what we still, wrongly, insist on calling the unthinkable.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...dents-have-experienced-a-school-shooting.html

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Price of freedom bro.

Only good guys follow laws bro.

Could have done it with an axe bro.

If everyone had a gun this wouldn't have happened bro.

People need to learn to protect themselves bro.

Thoughts and prayers bro.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Absolutely.

People focus on the #'s killed. Which we eventually forget.

But we much more quickly forget people that lived but were effected by it, be it physically, mentally or otherwise.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

in before price of freedom!?

nope.. didn't make it.

B-Bob and justtxyank like this.
  5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is only for the mass shootings at schools. Doesn't mention all the people affected by the mass shootings at concerts, churches, movie theaters, office parties, nightclubs.....

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Treat these shootings like suicides. Give ZERO coverage to the shooter. That would help immensely. Folks that are this sick know they will be recognized, and the media keeps propping them up.

body slam and ipaman like this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's pretty speculative, fatty.

First, I don't know that it's possible.

Second, you're asking somebody who is not acting rationally due to mental impairment and is in many cases going to end up dead anyway, to act according to a logical chain of self-interest.

That doesn't seem like a good bet.

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

I see it as more of a "I'll be famous" motive. Some people are just mental enough that they want to be recognized regardless. Take that away from them.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not possible, and to a degree we already try. These incidents are named for location, not the shooter. I have to look up the names for most if I want to know (Sandy Hook and Aurora Theater are the only 2 names I know from the shootings).

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If only we threw everyone that we thought might one day hurt someone into the Gulag then all of our comrades would be safe!

Left wing authoritarianism is clearly the solution here.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Do you live on a farm?

You sure as f*** like strawmen.

Back in the mid 20th century this could easily be achieved. Now the media hydra has about a gazillion heads on it. You're never going to be able to accomplish such a thing. It'd be like herding cats.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, there is zero reason for any civilian to own a semi-automatic weapon. Time for them to go bye bye.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not really a strawman, there are all manner of left wing authoritarians speaking up right now suggesting that we need to curtail or eliminate speech and gun rights in order to be able to imprison people before they get a chance to do something like this.

That's always the solutions that you hear from authoritarians no matter which side of the aisle they sit on.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Bullsh1t.

Find me one prominent leftist advocating for jailing people for thought crimes in order to stop mass shootings.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, you have the Sheriff saying "What I'm asking our lawmakers to do is go back to places like Tallahassee and Washington, D.C., to give police the power," the sheriff said, to detain people who make graphic threats or post disturbing material online, and bring them involuntarily to mental health professionals to be examined."

That's essentially asking for the ability to lock people up for thought crimes.

15. Buck Turgidson

How is "making graphic threats" a thought crime?

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's really more the second part the "post disturbing material online" part that is "thought crime", it's interesting that's the part you ignored though. Making "graphic threats" is already illegal, but I don't think you can or should be allowed to involuntarily commit someone to a mental ward over them.

17. Roscoe Arbuckle

A revolver is a semi-automatic and it has been around since 1835. The gun isn't the issue. (not to mention how easy it is to get a fully-automatic weapon these days; about as easy to score as a bag of weed if you're looking for one illegally)

18. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

This is the best you've got? Really? Since your strawman requires, you know, laws, do you have any examples? Even proposed laws that haven't passed?

If the "disturbing material online" was, for example, posting "death to all Americans" on a Jihadi website, would you be against law enforcement following up on that?

B-Bob likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Would I be against "following up on that"? No, would I be against involuntarily committing them to a mental institute? Yes. Someone posting "Death to all Americans" isn't against the law and is viewed as protected free speech in that it's not a specific and credible threat.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Kind of like posting in this forum.

Space Ghost likes this.