1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

“Islam is Right About Women”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BruceAndre, Oct 19, 2019.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I wish I could claim credit for this profoundly beautiful piece of trollery….but I can’t.

Some genius in Massachusetts came up with it (IKR, Marxachusetts?).

https://www.boston25news.com/news/-...signs-spark-confusion-in-local-town/987837653

Still, the cognitive dissonance and resulting schadenfreude emerging from the feminists and leftists is a beautiful thing; so the whole event restores my faith in humanity. :D

In essence, the simplicity of the signage forces feminists and leftists to think logically – something they don’t do very well.

But it forces anyone (with half a brain) who gets upset about the signage to think, “Ok, why am I upset at this?”

As this article in “Spiked Online” relates it:

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/09/26/the-genius-of-the-islam-is-right-about-women-stunt/

“The example of perfectly crafted dissent that I’d like to submit here appears in this video from Massachusetts local TV news, showing some reactions to the fly-posting of white sheets of paper bearing the statement ‘Islam is right about women’. The reactions are deeply revealing. Nobody can clearly point out why they object to the statement – indeed, nobody seems to object to the statement at all on its face. Yet most seem to express offence at it – if a little unconvincingly.

The reason for their dilemma is obvious enough to anyone who has been paying attention. Western society has managed to convince itself (at least in public) that any statement criticising any aspect of Islam is, by definition, bigotry. As a result, Western societies have effectively decided to enforce Islamic restrictions on blasphemy, and called it ‘tolerance’.

The strain of conforming to this lie is evident in the fumbling attempts by the interviewees to explain their objections. Do they believe that Islam is right about women? If so, why the objection? Do they believe that Islam is wrong about women? If so, in what sense is the statement an attack on Islam or Muslims? Do they believe that the author of the poster is saying that ‘Islam is right about women’, but doing so ironically? In which case, the objection can only be that the author is guilty of a thoughtcrime by stating that ‘two and two make five’ with insufficient sincerity. Or do they worry that they are guilty of thoughtcrime for noticing the irony?”

---------------------------------

In essence, this syllogism forces one to conclude either that:

a) Islam is right that women should hold a subservient and secondary status in society – and thus our notions of equality and egalitarianism are fundamentally incorrect

Or

b) Islam is a horrifically backward religion and culture that has no place in a modern egalitarian society – and thus the “diversity is our strength” premise is fundamentally incorrect.

It’s been a bit strange (to say the least) to see the leftists, feminists and Democrats embracing Linda Sarsour and Illian Omar, because feminism, egalitarianism, and Islam would not seem to go together.

And, as dense as many leftists are, they are being forced to confront the inherent contradictions of their beliefs ….. and that is why this piece of signage trollery was such a beautiful thing [sniff].

----------------------------

From John Mark says:

https://johnmarksays.com/blog/2019/9/24/islam-is-right-about-women-the-best-meme-of-2019

“Islam is Right About Women.” These five words printed in plain text on an A4 leaf and duck-taped to a signpost constitute what is possibly the most powerful, and important, meme of 2019.

“Islam is RIGHT about women” has sparked what anyone with an IQ above 130 would have immediately predicted upon reading these words: “confusion and anger” from the NPC class of Homo sapiens sapiens. At least that’s what they call it. We player characters (men and women of agency) call it cognitive dissonance.

As you can see from this video [in the link], most people interviewed aren’t exactly sure what to make of it. Is this an attack on Islam? Or an attack on women? Or both? Or maybe it’s just a random right-wing troll that isn’t supposed to make any sense.

You see, to come out and decry this poster as an attack on women is to acknowledge that Islam subjugates women, which is in direct conflict with the feminist egalitarian ideals of the West. But to come out and call this an attack on Islam, through the irony of saying the religion is “right”, is to (again) highlight the incompatibility of the Islamic patriarchy with the Western feminarchy. In five simple words, this meme destroys the narrative of inclusivity and diversity.

Many on the Right will notice this cognitive dissonance, and find it amusing.”

---------------------------------

Indeed, we do. Much applause to the genius who came up with the idea, and had the cajones to implement it. :D

--------------------

From Red State:

https://www.redstate.com/brandon_mo...lam-right-women-cause-media-narrative-crisis/

“Islam isn’t particularly known for its fairness to women. In fact, it’s well known to be a society that treats them a second class and below, forbidding them to learn basic things such as reading and math. They’re used more like servants and breeding stock in many Islam dominated countries and are punished severely for violating any of the strict Sharia laws set for them.

This is a fact that is typically overlooked by a lot of the left, especially feminists. When it comes to Islam’s treatment of women, you’ll find many a blind eye among the social justice warriors who often go so far as to defend Islam as the “religion of peace” the left claims it is.

So when flyers began going up around Winchester, Massachusetts, that stated “Islam is right about women,” the outrage was present, but nobody wanted to say why.

The police of Winchester even called the flyers “not of a threatening nature,” which, if you’re a woman, would likely be a statement you’d disagree with. I also found it interesting that the station decided to include that little factoid.

The entire reason this is a story in the first place is that everyone knows exactly what the message entails and that the fear it inspires in women is legitimate. Even so, the media doesn’t want to go into these strict laws or where they originate from despite the subject being right in the flyer they’re reporting on.”

-----------------------

Oh, and …..Islam *is* right about women.:cool:

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Anyone surprised that bruceUndressed and dacula87 are the only two posters so quick to support these contentions? lol

4. dmoneybangbang

The religions of Abraham are very patriarchal.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Eh, the problem you have is that you've boxed all feminists and progressive or whatever you want to label them into one box and same with all of Islam.

I don't know, if you ask random people on the street or at a university you're going to get a variety of reactions, it would then be easy enough to make a compilation of such reactions and pretend that those reactions represent the majority...but this isn't even a reaction video like that, it's just some hypothetical and the question isn't posed to any feminist or 'leftist'...so then what is the point here?

Someone asking this question isn't even seriously trying to have a discussion, not in good faith.

I'd say that some Muslim countries oppress women...and some do not, so when you say "Islam is right about women..." which country are you talking about? I think this is the 'confusion' that people are getting on about.

Also, the Bible isn't exactly for women's rights either. It is pretty clear that women are the property of their husbands and that's pretty much the role they have in society according to the Bible. Bible even says that if a woman is raped then she is to be stoned...sound familiar?

I think though the articles you posted are unfair, they don't even feature responses from these 'leftists' that they claim all react the same way to such an easy statement to respond to and break down.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  6. likestohypeguy

That sign is... Problematic.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Any country that identifies itself as an Islamic nation is oppressive towards their women. Restricting rights is not the only way to oppress a person. The burka in itself is a way of shaming a woman. Anytime there are different standards for two different subjects, (male and female in this case)it will be oppressive in nature. As this has been discussed before, the West had the same problem with Christianity. Over the last century, our continent has made significant strides to bring equality. Its not perfect, but its much better than it was a couple hundred years ago.

Its wrong to assume every Muslim is a violent terrorist waiting to happen. Its wrong to attack them for their faith, just as it is wrong to attack Christians for their faith. But if we are going full on SJW on Christians, nobody should be mistaking Muslims as victims.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not every Muslim country requires women to wear Burqas though.

I didn't go full SJW on Christians, just stating that the Bible is also oppressive against women and asks them to be objects for their husbands. If Fundamentalist Christians made all the laws women would also be extremely oppressed just like in countries ran by Islam fundamentalists.

#8 JayGoogle, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    malakas likes this.
  9. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Fantastic troll. The best response came from a Muslim woman. Everyone else ... wooooosh.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You've never understood internet culture and never will.

11. malakas

malakas Member

The Burqa isn't in itself a way of shaming a woman.
    What about that woman's opinion and will?
    She wants to exercise her religion.
    As long as the Burqa isn't required and enforced by law, then it is not oppression.

What France does that has banned burkinis and burqas is misogynistic and oppressive. French women aren't allowed to practise their religion. They aren't harming anyone but that right has been taken away from them.

JayGoogle likes this.
  12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

What about social pressure and familial.... and internal religious communities shunning and banning the women or worse.... I am sure that isn't happening right?

13. malakas

malakas Member

I said WHEN it is not required and enforced against their will.
    The Burqa itself isn't oppressive.
    Having to wear a burqa- and any other piece of cloth- against the will is.
    Having to wear a skirt while you want to wear shorts is also oppressive. Are skirts oppressive on their own? No.

A woman should be allowed to wear a burqa if they want.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

This Islam-bashing is so early 2000's. Get with the program, it's Russia and China's time to shine.

Space Ghost, Ubiquitin and dachuda86 like this.
  15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I don't see anyone actually bashing Islam. Quite the opposite.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Any ideas to prevent forcing it?

17. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Actually the reason for that is that France is a secular country and any ostentatious religious signs are banned in public areas.
    There is also a security aspect (pushed by the recent terrorist attacks) as every citizen should be identifiable by a police officer.

This law does not apply to scarfs over the head for example.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You have conveniently left out my point, which is, when there are two different rules for the male and female, especially when one is restrictive, is oppressive in nature. Just because one country doesn't require it by law doesn't absolve them of being oppressive.

We all have those people in our lives that practice certain rituals that they dont fully believe, but only do so because of pressure from the family. That is OPPRESSIVE.

I was raised in a Christian denomination that had strict rules on women. All the women who practiced these rules did it on their own free will and generally bought into the snake oil doctrine. The ones who didn't were eventually shunned and shamed out of the church. That is text book definition of oppression.

20. malakas

malakas Member

Two different rules for males and females?
    Guess what I also want to walk around topless like men, when it is summer and 40C but then the police will come to arrest me.

When we have the same rules for males and females let me know, because it definitely doesn't happen anywhere in the world now.