1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Future PF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, May 29, 2015.

1. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree 100%. I would be content with letting J smith go and staying with DMO and a healthy Jones plus an additional good rebounder added to make up for their poor rebounding in spots. DMO needs to get dramatically stronger in his lower body and TJ needs to get healthy and work his shot both mid range and the long ball.

2. malakas

malakas Member

Lol at love being a top10 player.

3. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I agree with this

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

That I agree with.

I only disagree with the notion that his post game would be neutralized in the playoffs. The guy has quite a few counter moves. Stopping him from scoring in the post with your second best defender is not simply a piece of cake, especially when Dwight is playing next to him.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The way you're underselling Love is borderline criminal...

Placing this season aside, everybody knows his advanced numbers are off the charts. He's an incredibly talented player.

6. benvolio007

benvolio007 Member

LMA would be ideal....but that ain't happening. We'll be lucky if we can keep Josh but I think he will get paid somewhere based on his series with Dallas.

My hope is that we can get a quality starting 1 in the off-season via trade or free agency (1st rounder + TJones (+ Bev?)) and then add a PF in the season if it looks like DMo can't carry the load.

Another perspective is that JSmith and TJones got us to the WCF...if DMo is the asset that can bring us a starting 1, maybe you let him go. The Rox are in 'win-now' mode after all.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

They are as far apart as they seem when you consider DMo is 3 years away from the player you want him to be.

LMA is a top 3 PF. DMo is not top 10.

Also your comment underestimates how important better is. Everyone in the NBA is a great basketball player. The difference between DMo and LMA... Even if closer than some might think, is still a huge difference to how the team would perform.

Finally... Keep DMo. Dwight, LMA, Capela, DMo. That's freaking great.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

Their % assisted are almost exactly the same, but I feel that's deceiving (just don't know how to prove it).

DMo really finished the season hot from 3. In the month of March, he shot 45% on 2.9 attempts per game. TJones shot well in March and April as well, but on less than half the attempts.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

We'll see. He's definitely an offensive force. I'm concerned his lateral quickness would get exposed in the playoffs and force us to bench him in crunch time (like the Cavs did several times this season). Can you imagine switching Love on to Curry? DMo may have a shot with his footwork, but Love would get obliterated.

And I'm a big Love fan. I think he's a better defender than some give him credit for, but he's not as good as DMo.

Consider the cost. Trading for Love probably means losing both DMo and Ariza. Are you prepared to do that? I'm not.

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

That's not really what I'm saying. Yes, I think LMA is a significantly better player than DMo.

My argument is DMo + Ariza + rights to several other players + chance at Durant is worth more LMA. In that sense, DMo might be the better option.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also important to note, LMA is about to turn 30. I don't think anyone would say DMo is better than LMA today, but what about in 3 or 4 years when he'd still be under contract? Could be close by then and the money wouldn't be.

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It's amazing people still want to bring Terrence Jones up as someone who can contribute to this team winning in the playoffs going forward.

These last two years have proven that Jones is not the way to go.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think Love would help us much more than DMo. But LMA or Gasol would be a huge upgrade.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We should build around a PF at a time

15. GottaHaveHeart

LMA > DMO ...We in WIN now mode! Like DMO but back injury scary at such young age. Can be used with unit 2 and would be interchangeable with him and LMA on floor

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

The only reason to keep Dmo is if you can't get the other two.

Btw, pretending those stats say Dmo is anything close to the other two is just silly.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You're probably right - but it is probably also true that Jones creates his own basket more often than most give him credit for (the running 'flip shot' in the lane, the drive to the hoop, the post up on a small man after a switch are just 3 examples that come to mind).

I honestly don't feel like we're in terrible shape at the PF spot - no doubt we need both those guys to take another step this season, but it is the PG spot that needs the most help.

18. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Jones is more of bench energy guy like Thompson on the Cavs, however Thompson suddenly became one of the best OFF rebounders and has earned himself a nice contract which I believe Jones can do.

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

DMO is going to be a great pf for us if he can learn to hold his own. He has the height and size. He just needs to learn how to use it. Another way to put is that he needs to grow a pair. It reminds me too much of Yao Ming who once he realized he could be unstoppable, he became unstoppable. We need Sam Cassell to show these guys this...[​IMG]

20. sunw1989

sunw1989 Member

I hope we keep DMo, and he returns healthy and improved next season. Just get a fairly good PG, and better shooters.