1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Kawhi Leonard a top 10 NBA player?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheresTheDagger, Apr 6, 2015.

1. zyt

zyt Member

in spurs he might be, so yes he should be regarded as 1

performing well regardless of situation is too much to ask, nobody can carry the likes of lakers or knicks

2. Fefo

Fefo Member

I dont think you know what u are talking about. He can score for himself, he is no longer a spot up shooter. And his defense is better than all of those guys, so i think he is really good, not as good as Kd, lebron, ad or harden, but for sure getting closer to them each day.

3. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

1. LeBron
    2. Harden
    3. Westbrook
    4. Anthony Davis
    5. Curry
    6. Durant
    7. Chris Paul
    8. Kawhi
    9. Blake
    10. Cousins

4. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Kawhi became top ten to me when he spanned through Durant while Westbrook was trying to steal the ball and dunked on Serge Ibaka all during the same play last year in the Western Conference Finals.

5. mingthething

mingthething Member

KD, is that you? sorry bout your injury and your team not making the playoffs, but, c'mon man. You said this last year.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Do top 10 players go 5-13 for 13 points in a game 7? What about playing so well for your team that needs you to produce then your +/- is -6? Just curious what all you spurs fans on a rockets web site think. Enjoy the downfall.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The clock operator probably ruined Leonard's legacy with his hiccup...

8. TheresTheDagger

So, today I wonder what Zach Lowe has to say about Kawhi's performance?

(HEAVY sarcasm).

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Top 10? Maybe not in top 20 yet.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I very much appreciate defensive players in the NBA, but a defensive player who is also decent at offense has never been known to "carry" a team. And that's what a top 10 guy has to do.

Kawhi is great and I'd take him on my team all day every day. But I think the top 10 label is unfair.

Any examples of primarily defensive players who have lead a team as the best player on the team?

11. marky :)

marky :) Member

Orland Magic Dwight?

12. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

He definitely came down to earth towards the end of the Clippers series. Who knows, maybe chasing CP3 around tired him out a bit.? Also Matt Barnes did a solid job on him defensively games 5-7.

Offensively he is definitely limited. His shot is naturally very flat so not much margin of error. His handles are pretty limited to straight line drives, whereas a guy like Paul George can do a little more. He doesn't post up enough, probably because he doesn't have enough post moves. In any case, still a close to max player, but he does have some improvements to make on offense.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

They jumped the gun with this top 10 stuff. He had a really nice stretch though. He'll prob be ranked in the top 20 next season though (he was 24 this year).

14. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Hes def not top 10 yet.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Uh, they kind of definitely completely unquestionably ran the offense thru him.

16. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

If you just go by the numbers on offense, then No. But if you go by the total impact on the game, he is definitely in top 10, maybe even top 5.

I'd put James as #1, Durant a distant #2, then you have several players below those two, Davis, Curry, Harden, Westbrook, etc. Kawhi is right up there with those guys.

#196 daoshi, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
  17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Where was he Game 7? Yet he shoulders NONE of the blame for the Spurs losing. Good Lord, people are still raving about the guy as a top 5 player? Just stop.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

He's a top 10 SF in the NBA, no doubt about that, but on the same tier as Davis, Curry, Westbrook, Harden :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

LMAO how much did Zach Lowe brainwash you? If Kawhi was so good how come it was Tim Duncan who had been carrying the Spurs this playoff run? Kawhi is already a star but making him top 5 is downright ridiculous. You think he's better than Dwight? Get outta here :rolleyes: