1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Increasing Urbanization of the Toyota Center Entertainment Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aceshigh7, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Thank you for posting this!

OP has issues that he most probably doesn't realize himself.

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I have no thoughts on this topic. But I really ****ing hate it when they play "Empire State of Mind" at Rockets games. I don't want to hear about ****ing New York while watching the Rockets... :rolleyes:

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

They should be playing this :

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-ulhZr52Q40" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  4. JuckTheFazz!

JuckTheFazz! Rookie

5. rockets belle

rockets belle Member

+1
    I don't know why some people perceives OP's comments as racist - not every conversation that includes race is racist. That's just ridiculous. They should definitely diversify their music selection but OP needs to realize that they will obviously play music that are popular now.

I did hear the Mavs play "This Kiss" by Faith Hill against the Spurs. I thought that was funny. :)

6. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Had to laugh watching the game against Atlanta yesterday (on TV) and thought of this very thread when (I can't remember the name of the song) but I heard a 70's/80's track.
    Just thought to myself that the DJ must be a board member here and decided to play that track to keep the original poster happy.

7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

man when is Kanye West releasing that album?!?!?!?!?!

8. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Just wanted to add that I was at AT&T stadium yesterday and likely 90 percent of the music in the production was rock music. Just about the only exception was Wiz Kalifa's We Dem Boyz. For those who say the Rockets focus so heavily on urban aspects due to the ethnic makeup of the team and the the players' preferences, let me point out that the majority of NFL players are African-American (~68 percent), and I'm sure there's a pretty good chance guys like James Harden & Tyron Smith must have fairly similar musical interests, being the same age and from the same area. Yet we don't see the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders trying to look all hard and tough and "street" in their routines. They portray a feminine image.

Like other posters have pointed out, this shift in production focus only occurred a couple of years ago, ~ 2013. Prior to that, the arena experience was a lot more balanced, and frankly, more enjoyable. I highly doubt that I went from being a desired demographic to being an afterthought overnight.

Oh, and that RPD video? That one poster is right in that it's definitely one of the elements that pushed me over the edge. It was absolutely pathetic and whatever they were aiming for, they missed. It was not humorous and it was not sexy.

9. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

If you say increasing Urbanization aren't you also implying that they are playing Jazz and Blues.

That Coltrane they play at the stadium is really pissing me off!

10. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I wish I had known you were a Cowboys fan. That explains everything.

[​IMG]

11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

yawn :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

What did the retention department say?

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

DOES IT MATTER IS MY QUESTION? DOES IT MATTER?!

14. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You know that really is unfortunate. Maybe you should go to the movie theater or stay at home and watch a tv show. You won't feel marginalized at all because a majority of the movies and shows will be targeting you and your family.

15. benvolio007

benvolio007 Member

I volunteer at a high school. I played a Pink Floyd song as part of a lesson about "Time". Most of the teens have never heard of Pink Floyd and don't listen to rock music. It's mostly Hip-hop or Country. I'm not a fan of either....it makes me feel old but I deal with it. But(t) I hear you,

These young people today with their hip-hop music and their booty shaking...back in my day we banged our heads, not our booties, and gosh darn it, we liked it !

But you are not a racist for having a musical preference.

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

so i went to the game on saturday..

OP is right. I would say almost 90% of the playlist were hip hop music. There was a couple of rock songs sprinkled in...but it was noticeably different than my previous visits to the toyota center.

Other than that, I didn't see any obvious urbanization or differences in the demographics of the crowd.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL.....you are bigot.

You want to know why the RPD and most dance team use this music, dance like they do? You should check out dance competitions at the youth and high school level. Hip Hop Dance is what being taught because the girls' love it. There are Tens of Thousands white girls doing these dances to that music.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TYRIYL5uP6w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/afWRsE-woN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. benvolio007

benvolio007 Member

Those videos are very sad. Sexualizing children like that is harmful to them and everyone involved. This is bad for human beings.

19. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Going back to the beginning of the thread, OP said...

Aye, I don't find plump women sexy, but some people do. Different stroke for different folks man. Basketball has been tied to hip-hop culture for as long as I can remember. It's just like at a Texans game, they always play rock music. Well, except I saw on the broadcast this week they actually have Turn Down for Watt now? haha

As far as their routines, the RPD ringleader is Natalie the former RPD right? I imagine she has a big say in the routines they are doing.

Man, I don't care what they do, I just wish we could get a full arena.

20. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

I agree that the RPD dance numbers are a bit over-sexed, however i enjoy that.

I like lots of genres of music including rock and rap. The fact is that at the end of 2014, the top 40 Billboard has changed from what it was in the 80's so it may be time for Aceshigh to adjust to the year that you are living in.

Your comments mixing diversity, hood rats, and garbage are thinly veiled and you come across as quite racist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.