1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can a team win a championship with Jones and DMO

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HouStu_Rocket, Feb 24, 2014.

1. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Championships are what it comes down to.

I love Jones as a player and I have been enthusiastic about DMO since he arrived. I would ABSOLUTELY be on board with them staying with the Rockets long term to watch them develop into great role players. I am one to believe that players are more effective if they are happy and comfortable in a situation and scheme that they know and those two PFs are exactly that.

My question to debate on. With such a young and dynamic team could we have a shot at building a dynasty with these players? Harden, Lin, Beverley, DMO, Jones, and of course Parsons which are all in their adolescent stages of their basketball careers? With what we can acquire with Omer (assuming he still wants out) and the reemergence of a more than capable Howard I can see that the Rockets' future is bright.

Can you imagine trading Omer, resigning Lin to a more reasonable contract after he expires (Is that how it works?) and shedding what we can with the remaining bench players, such as Casspi and Garcia, to make room for another quality player? Get excited. Don't mix this team up. Let them develop into the players they are meant to be and let's reap the dividends.

Hail Rockets!!!

2. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Didn't read...

3. BallardLocks

BallardLocks Member

The window is opened and has a time limit. We need experience veterans to make a title run. DMO and Jones make excellent backups, but not ready for the frontlines againts elite teams. However they won't be traded because their cheap contracts. Asik and Lin are our only capspace contracts for getting solid PF talent.

1 person likes this.
  4. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Thanks for your contribution to the forum

5. FeaR

FeaR Member

Can a team win a championship with Parsons as their 3rd Best player ?

6. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Sure. I don't think we have any clue on the extent of Parsons' ability. We will know when he reaches his prime. Who was the 3rd best option on the Rockets' championship roster? How does he compare to Parsons? Also, Spurs have been quietly dominant in the past decade with Ginobili as their 3rd best player. I think a huge reason for that is their continued experience in the system that they are in. I would compare it to having a waiter job at a nice restaurant. Sure you can be successful at one restaurant and be just as successful elsewhere but learning the atmosphere, menu, and differences in expectations are going to take a little getting use to when you could have continued thriving at your previous restaurant and had that much more experience there.

7. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

U guys have thought too much, Morey will never expect the team will win champion in 1-2 years.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Can a team win a championship with Charles Jones and Chucky Brown?

2 people like this.
  9. Hibrido

Hibrido Member

In time, yes a team can with with DMo and TJo.

Not as the best players but as part of a support cast.

10. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

Not sure what you were going for there, but Ginobili in his prime was way better than Parsons right now, if that is the comparison you are making.

11. calcium

calcium Member

Didnt the 2003/4 Pistons win with ZERO superstars?

It's the old adage of "a champion team rather than a team of champions".

So I think yes, though it's harder this way :)

12. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

A team won multiple championships with luc longley. So yes it is possible.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It is all about the CBA. No team is going to have a potential all star at every position.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Lakers won three straight a decade ago with a washed up A.C. Green, a washed up Horace Grant, and Samaki Walker as their respective starting power forwards each season. You don't have to have a dominant 4 to win a title depending on what you've got at the other positions.

15. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

This team will go as far as Howard and Harden take it. No team has a star player at every position. Jones and DMo are giving us the needed production at the PF spot.

16. makio9

makio9 Member

I don't think they can win it this year with 1 of those 2 starting. Jones' rebound is rather lackluster. This Dwight-lead team doesn't even dominate the boards? Crazy bad

17. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

We won a championship with Chris Jent and Earl Cureton, what's the difference?

18. vator

vator Contributing Member

The Rockets championship aspirations don't rest upon the shoulders of either of these guys. The Rockets will go as far as Harden, Howard, and to a lesser extent Parsons can take them. They basically need one of Beverley or Lin and one of T. Jones or D. Mo to not be a net negative. Which one plays well will probably vary from game to game and should be expected. That is what makes them role players, expecting them to play well 9/10 games is simply an unrealistic expectation.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Having Asik back makes all the difference in the world to the big man rotation.

Yes the Rockets or any team could win a championship with Howard/Jones/Asik/D-Mo.

Now the guard positions are a whole other conversation. Lots of question marks there outside of Harden.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, but only this team.

DD