1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale's Amazing Play!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkRock, Feb 24, 2014.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i notice a lot of the newbies here this season seem surprisingly content with being better than mediocre now. almost like getting the 3rd spot in the west equates to "we done come up." maybe it's just because of all the disappointing rockets season over the past 15 years.

but the only thing that matters is winning the title. and this team as currently constructed and coached, is not a contender. and even if the roster is upgraded after this season, having a mediocre coaching staff should not be accepted so easily. i'm sure out of mchale's supporters here, even none of them would consider him to be a top-tier coach in the nba. and yet they're somehow all content with this..

1 person likes this.
  2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Aaron Brooks?

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

no i don't think i could do better, but there are several (available) coaches who would do much better.

mchale's offensive sets are joke. we rack up the turnovers because his read&react has players running around and passing around in circles the first 20sec of the shotclock just hoping the defense makes some kind of mistake to take advantage of. when that doesn't work he resorts to ISO harden for 8 straight possessions, which is so predictable it also results in turnovers and last second prayer shots too often.

on the defensive end this team is woefully undisciplined and rarely boxes out for rebounds.

his in-game management, especially late in games, is simply atrocious.

watching hornacek operate is like night and day. with a far less talented roster he's still able to create mismatches for his players with smart offensive sets. witness the multiple picks to consistently free up dragic tonight for wide open J's. would you rather have harden curling around screens for wide open shots or have him try to dribble dribble crossover stepback with 8 other players from both teams watching him try to make a 25ft prayer with 0.8sec left on the clock in the middle of the 4th? to me that's what's not borderline stupid, but completely ignorant -- on mchale's part.

2 people like this.
  4. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I think even Dwight was talking to Mchale about that possession after DMO was fouled, it's one of those WTF moments that Mchale does every now and in.

5. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

you always have big in as safety valve. can throw it high to him if can't get it in. didn't have any time outs Anymore.

6. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Most of the time McHale just follows his feelings.

As a contrast, several Suns players praised Hornacek for giving very clear and precise instructions so they all knew clearly what they were supposed to do going into a play.

7. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Lol yeah McHale wanted the suns to win :p but seriously that was a bad move. I right away was saying why was he in and called it before Dmo got the ball. I knew they would inbounded to him. Parsons makes bad chooses sometimes too. Just like the game against LAL the first time. He inbounded the ball to Dwight n he got foul and missed the ft.

But thinking about it now McHale had only
    Tjones
    Garcia and
    Casspi

Or omer

And idk about u but Tjones fts r kinda like Howard's when he misses he misses badly.
    He isn't a good ft too
    Garcia is better but he didn't really play tonight. So that could have been bad since he was cold.
    Casspi don't even start w him. I shm all the time w him. He should be and okay ft or shooter. But he misses sometimes a lot. And sometimes he misses fts consecutively.
    And omer well kinda like Howard plus he hasn't practice his fts too much

DMo has a good shooting motion. And he has said he was better before he just hasn't gotten his rhythm back. What is most important is that he got them free throws.

8. bucket

bucket Member

The Rockets didn't have any timeouts, right? Maybe McHale figured the Suns would be willing to let Motiejunas get the ball, and maybe he had enough faith in Dmo to be fine with that. Considering how much trouble the Rockets were having on inbounds plays before that, it seems to have worked out pretty well.

9. BallardLocks

BallardLocks Member

Mchale has a bond with the players and he knew Motiejunas was mentally in the zone. A+!

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm glad D-Mo could knock down those pressure Fts, but this is the second time that Parsons has passed to the worst possible option on an inbound play that would decide a game. Luckily it didnt bite the rockets in the ass like it did in the Laker game when he passed to Dwight.

I dont know who else would have been in in that situation Casspi is a bad ft shooter Garcia hadn't played the whole game. Dwight and TJ are awful. D-Mo was a good choice i guess.

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He already took out Dwight and subbed in Lin. It's Parsons who made the decision to pass to DMo. Suns' defense was designed to free DMo.

We have not been shooting FTs well. Who else could he have put in?

12. BallardLocks

BallardLocks Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8725528&postcount=34

Amin Elhassan ‏@AminESPN 3h

McHale on why Motiejunas was in the game: he was out there to prevent Suns from being able to switch everything

Retweeted by Amin Elhassan
    Hursty ‏@Jackooo91 3h

@AminESPN I like that. Jones (as we know) is a terrible defender. D-Mo has good defensive energy despite his flaws

McGenius!

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

But, then why is Garcia only hitting 58% of his free throws this year? Stop complaining. If KM had put in Garcia and he had missed the free throws you would be screaming at KM for putting a cold shooter in the game who hadn't shot well all season anyway. Good grief.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't think there's any debate here over who the better FT shooter is. garcia is in the frickin league for only one reason, because he can shoot. that's the only thing he's really good at. and no i wouldn't have questioned mchale for putting him in even if he missed, in fact i hope he does exactly that if the same situation comes up next game.

but for the people still defending mchale on that possession, how do give him a pass for not drawing up a play to get one of our guards open? bev and harden were not given screens and were basically planted behind their respective defenders like trees. while lin was placed all the way in the far coffin corner in the backcourt with his man right between lin and parsons leaving no passing angle whatsoever. no player movement, no screens, no nothing. it's almost like mchale has one play (ISO harden) and absolutely nothing else. well-coached teams get the ball to exactly the player they want to on a regular basis. hell, even a lot of poorly coached teams do too. we can't even get the ball to one out of 3 guards…sigh.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We needed Harden every second out there. Lin was just playing really really bad. The Rockets really need Lin to get his act together and start playing with balls off the bench. Don't give me this short leash stuff either, if he would stop turning over the ball so much and shoot the open three when he has the shot, or keep being aggressive going to the basket then maybe he wouldn't get pulled so much. He really deserved to be benched this game, because regardless of what the +/- stats say, he was really hurting us out there by giving momentum to the Suns with his turnovers.

16. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

did we just won the game? or i watched a different rockets vs suns today? worst, i must be dreaming that we won.

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Thanks to this thread, I now know who is playing the passive-aggressive game and repping me for my criticism of McHale.

You've gotta be a bit more clever with your wording, kiddo.

Anyway,

I'm glad DMo made the freethrows, but I agree that having Garcia/better shooter in there--even if he hadn't played--would have been a better choice. I think Garcia may have one of his lower percentages this year shooting from the ft line, but he is still a pure shooter.

The Suns may have wasted more time thinking about who was the best option to foul instead of immediately fouling DMo. Absolutely no time went off the clock.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Dmo was in as a safety valve. Did you guys not see the in bounds attempt before that one?

We almost got a 5 seconds call. Dmo was the inbounder. You had all small guys on the court. None of them could get open.

We call a timeout.

So instead of risking throwing the ball away, you have dmo in as a last resort as someone you can throw the ball up to who can box his man (Channing frye) out.

He's 7 ft with a guy he can he could easily box out on him. It was a last resort. It worked.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

codman this is off-topic, but in the granger thread you alluded to lin and asik being unhappy with their roles here.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8721604&postcount=111

i generally trust morey to eventually build a contender here, but i just don't understand why he's kept lin, and especially omer, on the roster. both guys don't fit with the rest of our pieces. the knicks apparently wanted lin bad and a bunch of teams would obviously like to have omer. i would imagine if they were kept on thru the end of next season, both guys would just bolt in free agency, so they're not in our longterm plans either. dwight is already in his 10th season. do you think morey is just waiting to use their contracts in a sign trade this summer perhaps, or is he still really trying to make this square peg in a round hole scenario work?

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I find it difficult to complain when the play almost directly resulted in a Rockets victory. People b**** about McHale when he is wrong. And when he is right. The Rockets are 20 games above 0.500.