1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What has been Morey's biggest mistakes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SugarLandDream8, Mar 22, 2012.

1. lloyde8

lloyde8 Contributing Member

I agree. You still denying that Jeremy Lin can't be better than Dragic or Lowry? I'm not even downplaying Lowry or Dragic...Lowry is good and Dragic I love but honestly Jeremy is good now and only can improve after virtually his rookie year. I just wished we could've kept him...he definitely could've been our go to closer.

2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

If we would have traded Fynn to the Knicks there is a major possibility that we wouldn't have gotten to see Lin erupt the way he did...I'm happy for Lin, but Flynn would have made our NY draft pick much more attractive.

3. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Every human makes mistakes.

I believe overall he has produced positive results given the resources he has to use.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Morey has made a ton of mistakes, but he usually corrects them fairly fast.

At first, I believe he undervalued height, but he has gone out of his way to mention that he is drafting tall players or right sized ones now.

I think his interpersonal skills as a manager are immature at best, and the way he treats players needs a lot of work - and that resonates around the league.

I do think he is working hard, and doing a good job though, but the biggest "MIGHT BE" a mistake for me is hiring McHale as coach....time will tell on that one.

So for me, his 2 biggest so far are:

1. 1st Round pick for Twill - no excuse for that, he should have done more research before giving up a pick for him.

2. Letting Lin walk and keeping Jeff Adrien - I mean come on, really?

DD

5. mi0304

mi0304 Member

Agree

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

whatever he does since artest left is non-consequential. his battier-for-gay trade though, was severely consequential. it doesnt really matter if he missed out on a t-will or a kawhi leonard. he could have given morris or patterson away for free for all i'd care. its not like we were gonna win the championship or even have a serious playoff run even with another 10 pattersons or chandlers or 14th picks.

but making a crucial mistake during the prime of t-mac and yao, cost us any achievements we could have had for the first decade of the 21st century.

he could give 2 first round picks for terrence williams if he felt like it. another 14th pick just means another 14th pick next year. doesnt matter really in this rotating wheel of players we have right now.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

If morey couldn't see Lin > Flynn, then nobody could. If you thin you did then you are an idiot. :rolleyes:

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Trading Batum on draft night was the biggest mistake he has made.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yup. The 2008 draft was pretty bad.

I think that draft and the T-Will trade have been his worst mistakes. Any other mistakes he has been able to correct quickly (aka the Trevor Ariza contract and dumping Donte Greene ASAP for Artest). Cutting Lin certainly hurt, but we were stuck with Flynn's contract as a result of the Donuts trade. I think Donuts is going to be a hell of a lot more valuable than Lin in the long run, so time will tell.

10. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

to be fair, I think as a fan of the NBA I am so glad he let Lin go the New York, in what has probably created the biggest most awe-inspiring story in the NBA for decades. It made the NBA and the American Dream that much more resounding and basically has done fantastically well for the NBA as a whole, not just in America, but worldwide.

I honestly don't think Lin would have had much of a chance in Houston behind Kyle AND Goran. How were we gonna handle our PG situation? Trade Kyle? To who? Lakers wouldn't give Gasol for even RONDO, who is a perennial All-Star, let alone Lowry. Lin would be impossible to trade because of his negligible salary. In the end, I think, the whole situation has turned out great for almost everyone involved, except the Rockets. But were we a contender with J-Lin? Not even a chance. Now we get to witness one of the best stories unfolding right in front of our eyes and rejuvenated basketball in New York for the first time in years.

11. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

LOL, you make it sound like he knew Donte Greene was going to be a bust as soon as Morey drafted him. If Greene panned out, would you have said the same? Probably not.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Steve Francis and Terrence Williams ended up hurting us.

Big picture-wise, I think it was overestimating the shelf-life of Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady which delayed the rebuilding process a few years.

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

The Flynn over Lin thing was purely contractual. Flynn's money was guaranteed while Lin's wasn't. No need having 4pgs on a roster. Adrien was just a big body.

Also Dragic's defense >>> Lin's.

And the Knicks were about to cut Lin at one point as well. Just sayin.

And if you're going to post about Morey's mistakes, then at least post the significant ones.

14. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

1) Not finding a proper back up for Yao
    2) Not trading Tracy in 2009
    3) Twill for 1st round pick
    4) Not keeping Lin
    5) 2008 draft

15. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

One can argue that his great moves are also his worst. Lets say he never got Scola, Lowry. didn't discover Landry meaning he couldn't flip him for Martin, we would of been a bad team and rebuilding with a brighter future as soon as Mcgrady and Yao left.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You said he makes mistakes
    but then you went through and dismiss all the potential ones given

So please. . . let us know what you think is a mistake?

Is Morey the TEFLON DON?
    Every Mistake is not his fault.

He is the T-MAC OF GM's!!!
    All world talent . . .phenom player. . . but at the end of the day
    never got out of the 1st round
    but
    Make no mistake. . . it was NEVER HIS FAULT!!!
    and we can take cold comfort from that

Rocket River

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

As DD mentioned earlier, even when Morey makes a mistake like the Francis deal and the TWilliams trade, he usually does a good job at making up for those mistakes. Hence-

-Francis going to Memphis was part of the reason why the Rockets were able to get Kyle Lowry. The move was financially motivated by Memphis, but it did more than covered for the Francis mistake, and more than made up for it by stealing a future all-star quality PG.

-Terrence Williams was a mistake, but I think the front office really pulled no punches that they wanted a first round pick this trade deadline that could make up for the pick they might be loosing this year in the deal. Enter the Derrick Fisher trade where they essentially purchased a late first round pick for 900K.

Morey is a GM that takes calculated risks, but there every move is made with fallback plans and contingencies. Your in good hands if he's in control because he is a control freak, and everything he does is well planned and thought through.

If you want a GM thats going to make high risk moves that "might" turn into something huge, or might cripple the franchise for years, its not going to happen on this guys watch. Its all about calculated risk, and contingencies. Not a bad thing to a guy like me, but if your an armchair GM playing with someone elses Monopoly money, you are probably always going to be dissapointed in Daryl Morey.

18. houstunnin

houstunnin Member

Batum,Rudy Gay, and Lin over Flynn Lin coudnt be any worse then flynn at that time.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He didn't pan out and neither did any of the other players he drafted that year. There were more than a few players in the area Morey drafted that did pan out. The 2009 draft wasn't exactly stellar either relative the money he had to spend to get those picks.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If the league rewarded teams for being, say, in the 10-15th range, then I would be more enthusiastic about this approach. But we're in a league where you have to be in the top 5 to have a realistic shot at a championship. It remains to be seen if a series of moves with calculated risk/contigencies is a recipe to getting into that upper echelon. The Rockets talk a lot about following a Spurs model, but the Spurs had a top 15 player all-time as a building block.